Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Darren Sutherland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Ive been thinking about Darren Sutherlands suicide for the last few days now coming up with answers as to why he would carry out such a terrible act.He had everything going for him and it wasnt as if boxing had to be his life because as some people might not know he had a degree in sport and exercise science(I think thats what its called) from D.C.U. to fall back on.I think I have an answer and I feel I can relate to my theory on why Darren ended his life.We all know Darren won bronze in the Bejing Olympics 2008 which was a great achievement but a lot of people were saying he should and could have won gold if only he had a bit more drive in him.Now to myself,I got 275 pts in my leaving cert and was happy with it but people said if I had more drive I could have done better.Darren turned pro which was his dream and he got off to a perfect start but then WHAT HAPPENED?I started college and see this as turning pro.I think Darren was a bit of a perfectionist(he said he would love to go unbeaten which strengthens my theory) and with all the time he had to himself he started looking back over his life and his ameatur boxing career.I started looking back at my leaving cert results.Darren felt he could have done better and possibly won gold and felt he let himself down and couldnt go back and change it.I lately started feeling I could have done better in my leaving and got enough points to do teaching.The difference being of course I have accepted it and moved on where as Darren being the perfection driven athlete he was felt he could not live any longer with this always in his mind for the rest of his life.Obviosly I dont feel this was the sole reason he took his life,I think he was lonely,loseing confidence in his boxing ability and feeling the immense pressure that must come with being a pro boxer.But I feel his Olympic regrets(if he actually had some as I dont think he publically came out saying he had any regrets) was the main factor.
    CHECK THIS OUT:quote from DARRENS bebo page...
    Scared Of
    Being a failure.. Dont wanna live my life with regrets.. Wanna make the most of my opportunites

DARREN I FEEL YOUR DEATH WAS A COP OUT AND YOU HAVE NOW LEFT YOUR FAMILY,FRIENDS,AND MANY ADORERS MOURNING YOUR LOSS.
    HOPE YOU FOUND YOUR PEACE NOW...GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN...IRISH OLYMPIC HERO...R.I.P DARREN SUTHERLAND

tl;dr gb2bebo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

Still can't believe this. I can understand someone being depressed, but depressed enough to want to kill themselves? It's totally totally shocking to imagine Sutherland in that state. He did seem an introspective lad but a lad with a good head on his shoulders and a lad who knew where he was going. I can't believe he would hang himself, but there it is. Breaks my heart so much. Such an unnecessary thing to do. The question of why he did it is really interesting because he seemingly had everything to live for. He worked so hard in his life to get an olympic medal and go back to get his LC and then get into college... remarkable show of character by the way.

Shocking. But from what I know of suicide cases, they usually seem to happen out of the blue. A person who is genuinely suicidal will never talk about it. I wonder how long he was feeling this way and why. It surely wasn't a split second decision.

RIP Darren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

Aw come on thats harsh!Have you a theory on his death?...Exactly didnt think so!Keep your sly remarks to yourself,I'm only trying to contribute to the forum.:mad:

We can all hypothesize on Darrens death. Truth is we will never know why for real. It's in bad taste to publically discuss it on a public forum imo. The guy is deceased 48 hours for gods sake. I'm sure the reason will come out in good time, if not, big deal. Plenty of people who knew him will read this thread so keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I posted this on the MMA forum, might as well post it here also.

He aspired my little cousin(14) to take up boxing when everyone had boxing fever during the olympics. He then went to see him a times in DCU and in Dunboyne were Darren repeated the leaving cert (my cousin goes to that school) and got his autograph and photo with him, it's now framed in his bedroom.

Since then boxing has made him more confident, lose a lot of weight and more focused becoming a better boxer. I have never seen someone training 7 days a week in any sport at that age.

Rest in Peace Darren, you will be remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭maldondo

RIP Darren, Hope you find peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Aw come on thats harsh!Have you a theory on his death?...Exactly didnt think so!Keep your sly remarks to yourself,I'm only trying to contribute to the forum.:mad:

I have many theories on many things.

Your 'theory' is just ill-conceived conjecture...on an RIP thread. That's why I said what I said.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Frank Moloney, his manager - this video appeared on youtube last night from him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynTrSIAI9ag

Lads, I agree with the above posters, this is a thread to appreciate what Sutherland did in his short life, not to psychoanalyse his death. Many people have been touched by suicide and Darren's death shows that it can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime. The worst thing is that he was getting help, the psychologists appointments.

He was such a talent that had so much potential. A guy who had his head on his shoulders, got to admire him for what he did in coming back from England to do his Leaving at 20, in a school with students 18/19 and having to wear a school uniform. Being smart enough to know that he needed something to fall back on, going to college but training extremely hard at that time. What he did for creggys cousin and many other kids - his infectious enthuaism for everything he did. I'll never forget when he won that medal in the Olympics, or the picture of him coming off the plane with that broad smile across his face. I hope he is in peace now - and that his family and friends come to some sort of terms with his death, because no matter what happens after that, they will never fully come to terms with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

creggy wrote: »
    I posted this on the MMA forum, might as well post it here also.

He aspired my little cousin(14) to take up boxing when everyone had boxing fever during the olympics. He then went to see him a times in DCU and in Dunboyne were Darren repeated the leaving cert (my cousin goes to that school) and got his autograph and photo with him, it's now framed in his bedroom.

Since then boxing has made him more confident, lose a lot of weight and more focused becoming a better boxer. I have never seen someone training 7 days a week in any sport at that age.

Rest in Peace Darren, you will be remembered.

How has he reacted to this? I hope it doesn't derail his aspirations because he sounds like he has done really well. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    How has he reacted to this? I hope it doesn't derail his aspirations because he sounds like he has done really well. Fair play to him.

For the first few days he was very upset, he tried to hide by it from the family, but we all could see it. He really wants to go to the funeral to pay his respects now. I was just in his room trying to fix his computer yesterday when I saw the autograph.

To Keith,
    Keep working hard
    best wishes
    Darren Sutherland

Very sad to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,363 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Frank Moloney, his manager - this video appeared on youtube last night from him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynTrSIAI9ag

Lads, I agree with the above posters, this is a thread to appreciate what Sutherland did in his short life, not to psychoanalyse his death. Many people have been touched by suicide and Darren's death shows that it can happen to anyone, anywhere, anytime. The worst thing is that he was getting help, the psychologists appointments.

He was such a talent that had so much potential. A guy who had his head on his shoulders, got to admire him for what he did in coming back from England to do his Leaving at 20, in a school with students 18/19 and having to wear a school uniform. Being smart enough to know that he needed something to fall back on, going to college but training extremely hard at that time. What he did for creggys cousin and many other kids - his infectious enthuaism for everything he did. I'll never forget when he won that medal in the Olympics, or the picture of him coming off the plane with that broad smile across his face. I hope he is in peace now - and that his family and friends come to some sort of terms with his death, because no matter what happens after that, they will never fully come to terms with it.

Maloney is one strange fish. I mean, he has just suffered a heart attack and is told to rest and take weeks off and he doesn't seem to give a toss. Listen to the bloody doctors mate and take the rest they ask of you. Is this game really more important than ones health? What's the craic with no shirt on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 keith1976

How to fight a slicker, faster opponent and break his heart at the same time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqM9eEh7_hQ

I love watching the different reactions in the respective corners: Blanco looks distracted, just nodding and looking away while his coach is banging on. Darren absorbing everything Billy Walsh say..... while standing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

walshb wrote: »
    Maloney is one strange fish. I mean, he has just suffered a heart attack and is told to rest and take weeks off and he doesn't seem to give a toss. Listen to the bloody doctors mate and take the rest they ask of you. Is this game really more important than ones health? What's the craic with no shirt on?

what does it matter if he hasn't a shirt on? As for him ignoring the doctors advice maybe it's just his way of coping with what has happened by using work as a distraction. He could also be one of these restless people who constantly needs to be doing something.

keith1976 wrote: »
    How to fight a slicker, faster opponent and break his heart at the same time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqM9eEh7_hQ

I love watching the different reactions in the respective corners: Blanco looks distracted, just nodding and looking away while his coach is banging on. Darren absorbing everything Billy Walsh say..... while standing. ;)

it really was a remarkable performance considering Blanco had his number in previous fights. As was said earlier that bout was his final.

what does it matter if he hasn't a shirt on? As for him ignoring the doctors advice maybe it's just his way of coping with what has happened by using work as a distraction. He could also be one of these restless people who constantly needs to be doing something.

I don't know, I just thought for an official interview he might have looked a little decent, that's all. After all, he's not a football hooligan is he? At first, I thought he was in his hospital bed.

Anyway, lets hope his eagerness to get 'busy' doesn't set him back further, health wise

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

I have to agree, its one of the strangest interviews!!!!!! I mean its titled as a "thanks" for the messages for darrn and he spends most of the interview blowing his own trumpet and barking on about the furey fight. I simply cant stand the man, like most people in the boxing mgt game there is just something about him that i dont like, and yeah it would have taken 2 seconds to put a tee shirt on, its like he is trying to make some sort of statement like poor old frank isnt well and he just comes across all wrong IMO

I don't know, I just thought for an official interview he might have looked a little decent, that's all. After all, he's not a football hooligan is he? At first, I thought he was in his hospital bed.

Anyway, lets hope his eagerness to get 'busy' doesn't set him back further, health wise

well, it maybe that he was just out of his bed for a bit to do the you tube video. Whatever the reason i don't think it reflects badly on him. If he turned up to a press conference like that i might think differently.

as for his recovery,
    A positive disposition certainly seems to help some people to recover quickly. It maybe that having too much time to think may actually hold him back. We all have different mechanisms for coping. As you say let's hope his doesn't set him back.

alanceltic wrote: »
    I have to agree, its one of the strangest interviews!!!!!! I mean its titled as a "thanks" for the messages for darrn and he spends most of the interview blowing his own trumpet and barking on about the furey fight. I simply cant stand the man, like most people in the boxing mgt game there is just something about him that i dont like, and yeah it would have taken 2 seconds to put a tee shirt on, its like he is trying to make some sort of statement like poor old frank isnt well and he just comes across all wrong IMO

Exactly the feeling I got, but thought I wouldn't post it as some here can be a little touchy on issues like this. There was something odd about it. I don't doubt that Frank is upset about Darren and he feels like others that he could have possibly done more for him.
    Well, it's over now and he must look forward. I heard that Maloney and camp knew nothing of Darren's past battles with depression. I don't think they are happy about not being told

OB sport doing a wee tribute to Darren today.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2009/0918/obsport.html

OB Sport tribute to 'Dazzler'
    Friday, 18 September 2009 18:40

In memory of Darren Sutherland, RTÉ's OB Sport programme on the recent AIBA World Championships has been re-edited to include a short commemoration of the Olympic bronze medallist.

The programme has also been dedicated to the two-time European Union and three-times Irish senior champion, who boxed out of the St Saviours OBA club in Dublin before turning professional with Frank Maloney in London.

Darren tragically died at his apartment in Bromley, south London on Monday last.

Boxing fans can see the OB Sport Special on RTÉ Two and RTÉ.ie (Worldwide) at 1.20pm on Saturday.

If anyone wants to pay their respects to Darren, his remains will be reposing
    in FitzSimon's Funeral Home in Navan on Sunday from 12 noon until 6 pm.

Funeral mass is Monday at 11am at St Mary's Church on the Fair Green.

alanceltic wrote: »

i can't agree with this at all. for all we know focusing on the future could well be his way of maintaining control. he could be cut up inside but be one of these people who doesn't show like to show emotion. some people given the week he has would be in bits, while other would come across as unfeeling/detached because it's just their way of dealing with trauma. At funerals you often see some people close to the deceased very emotional while others appear stoic it doesn't mean they care any less. there are no rules in coping trauma. i think it's unfair to judge him based on a three minute video. if you know him personally then that's a different story

anyway, i just hope recriminations between the two sides don't start over what happened. it won't help anyone.

• Advertisement

All we have is first impressions in life with many people, and usually they are right.
    The guy came across bad IMO. Now, I am not saying he wasn't upset and to have to go thru what he did was terrible. I cannot think of much worse and I would dread
    that happening to me. He seemed more concerned with HIM and his commitments and boxing and shows, an YES, all money really isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BDF

All we have is first impressions in life with many people, and usually they are right.
    The guy came across bad IMO. Now, I am not saying he wasn't upset and to have to go thru what he did was terrible. I cannot think of much worse and I would dread
    that happening to me. He seemed more concerned with HIM and his commitments and boxing and shows, an YES, all money really isn't it?

I have to agree with you here, I have very strong opinions on Maloney and recent events have only reinforced them. He does seem to be too concerned with work (ok this might be his way of dealing with things but his demeanor when he is at ringside would suggest that he is not one to hold back his emotions). The whole video and his reaction just seems odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 glenjohnsonlfc

R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I glad someone else brought this up first. But I thought that "interview" was a disgrace. Who cares about the McDermot fight or a meeting the boxing association.

But lets keep this about Darren.

I was listening to some radio show on Saturday, they replayed an old interview with Darren - it was just after he arrived home with the bronze. As always with Sutherland it was very interesting he always came across well on the air and must have been a dream to work with compare to other fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Anyone recieve a private mail requesting information about Darren???

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Cant believe your gone Darren.

You were a breath of fresh air. I enjoyed watching and listening to you.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Maybe however that is his way of dealing with something like this, I doubt he came accross a dead body before.

We d'ont know whats really going on inside Maloney's head, just like we did'nt know with Darren.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Was such a sad funeral. And quite surreal at the same time. I had psychic sarah delamere hurding on my left and Jimmy Magee on my right. Everybody was so moved by the eulogy by the priest. Nikki Kavenagh sang with the voice of an angel and everybody there grieved at the loss of Darren who was a beautiful man both inside and out:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Folks just wondering what your take is on this whole tragic afffair surround the awful death of the boxer Darren Sutherland. Bad and all as his death was, its been made even worse now with Darren's family insisting that his manager Frank Moloney or his trainer Brian Lawrence were not welcome at Darren's funeral. While I have no idea what is going on here, by these very actions, it's like Darren's family are in some way stating that Frank Moloney or Brian Lawrence were in some way responsible for Darren's death. This in itself is a very serious accusation to throw at anybody, so I was just wondering what other people think, or do you know anything which might explain this very sad rift?

Advertisement