Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Darren Sutherland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

RIP Darren, very talented sportsman.

Best Wishes to his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

RIP Darren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Johnny Drama.

RIP Darren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Very sad news & condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭theonlygirl

RIP Darren. I had the pleasure of working with Darren earlier this year on a documentary, an absolutely amazing character, will be sadly missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I met him a few times. A genuinely friendly man.

:( We'll miss you. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Used to see him when in GYM in DCU . RIP .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Austin 3:16

R.I.P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

An awful tragedy. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 koking

a great loss to the sport and such a promising future he would have had
    RIP Darren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

RIP Darren

Had the world at his feet, hard to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭c1979

RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

A truly sad situation. Ill always have fond memories of watching his fights and tracking his process during the Olympics.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My favorite fight from Beijing was his win over Blanco. It was so classy and
    thought out. I always looked forward to watching his bouts as he had that
    power in each hand and was so strong and fit and had a great chin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭EASYbeingCHEESY

RIP Darren
    Condolences to his family and freinds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I am about to board a plane to Las Vegas for the mouthwatering match between Floyd Mayweather and Juan Manuel Marquez, but I just had to write an immediate tribute to Olympic bronze medallist Darren Sutherland.

I was in a state of shock when I heard the awful news last night that, at just 27, Darren had been found hanged at his home in Bromley, Kent.

I still can't believe it. I only saw him on Friday night, when I had a quick chat with him before the John McDermott-Tyson Fury battle in Brentwood. He actually wasn't his normal chirpy self, but I, of course, thought nothing much of it.

Darren's promoter Frank Maloney had been so excited to have his bright hopeful there at ringside, along with fellow Olympian Tony Jeffries.

Frank went on to have a tiring and turbulent weekend; fuming about the fact that McDermott lost his English heavyweight title, and vying for what he's calling 'justice'. There were endless phone calls and press releases. He must have been stressed and tired.

Many felt Darren Sutherland was the best prospect of all the Beijing Olympic fighters to turn pro. Maloney certainly did, and he will be absolutely devastated. Those Irish roots, the ease with people, the ambition... Frank and Darren had so much in common. The loveable little promoter even had Darren lodging with him in Chislehurst when he first moved to London.Adam Smith
    Quotes of the week
    It was Frank who then discovered the body of Darren Sutherland on Monday afternoon. How unimaginally dreadful. Darren was his protogee, his young star, his friend. Unsurprisingly, Frank is currently now in hospital after suffering severe shock, and we wish him a very speedy recovery.

Mature
    I can't get my head around it. Darren was just such a lovely, warm, wonderful, intelligent and humorous guy. He is the last person I would have expected to do anything like this.

Darren's professional career was just starting. He was very much in the embryonic and learning stage, but he looked mature and rounded from the off; so strong, with that potent jab and controlled aggression.

Many felt Sutherland was the best prospect of all the Beijing Olympic fighters to turn pro. Maloney certainly did, and he will be absolutely devastated. Those Irish roots, the ease with people, the ambition... Frank and Darren had so much in common. The loveable little promoter even had Darren lodging with him in Chislehurst when he first moved to London.

Darren was not only a Beijing medallist, he was one of the finest Irish amateurs of recent years. He rocked Dublin. A prestigious boxer with St Saviours ABC, Darren won the Leinster Senior Title in 2005, 2006 and 2007, and the All-Ireland crown in 2006, 2007, and 2008. Sutherland was also a two-time European Union champion.

His big amateur rival was England's James DeGale (who has already expressed his disbelief at what has happened, and about how highly he rated Darren). They met six times, with DeGale getting the better of Sutherland in the Olympics. A professional return down the line would have been absolutely massive.

Enhanced
    Darren moved to Sheffield at 15, and soon became immersed in the marvellous Ingle camp, where he learned plenty about life and his confidence was enhanced immeasurably. He decided against turning professional young, and that was justified when he struck bronze - at middleweight - in China.

I presented the pre-Christmas show last year at the Dublin City University, when Darren 'The Dazzler' Sutherland made his debut. A packed house gave him a magnificent welcome, and Sutherland duly dispatched Georgi Iliev in one. It was the perfect start to his professional journey. The reaction from the Irish press was amazing - Darren was both back and front-page news.

Sutherland's cool, composed ring work, mixed with his bright and bubbly persona, made him the ideal young sportsman.

He quickly lit up Frank Maloney's shows. Siarhei Navarka was removed in three and then he looked excellent in stopping Vepkia Tchilaia, the crab-like Eastern European who had slightly embarrassed DeGale on the Londoner's debut.

We last saw Sutherland in the summer when he was cut, and below-par against Gennadiy Rasalev but still maintained his unbeaten record fairly convincingly.

Tragedy
    He was all set to appear on the next Sunderland bill, and Niall Quinn was one of those looking forward to the big night in mid-October. Instead Darren Sutherland ends with just four fights, four wins, four knockouts.

This is a terrible tragedy, for Darren Sutherland had so much to live for.

Boxing has been littered with awful news of late. I cannot believe how many obituaries have been written. The year 2009 has been a very tough year for those in the trade.

Another apparent suicide hit us with the loss of legend Alexis Arguello. There was the mysterious death of ring warrior Arturo Gatti, and the senseless murder of a fighter I really liked, Vernon Forrest.

Darren was a young man who I had countless conversations with at various recent boxing events. I remember him from those Sheffield days - when he shared the Wincobank stable with my colleague Johnny Nelson - and always enjoyed our chats. He seemed very relaxed and laid-back, but remained extremely focused on his boxing goals.

Darren was so vibrant, so charming and had a real twinkle in his eye. I have no doubt that he would have gone on to be a champion and a big hero to the Irish people. This is a very sad time for boxing and it is, quite simply, one of the biggest tragedies to hit British and Irish sport in a long time.

The Olympic bronze medallist was a golden guy.

Great Tribute from Sky's Adam Smith
    http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,13841_5560674,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 maxindublin

RIP Darren. My thoughts are with you and your family at this sad, sad time.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭marcusluck

RIP darren

:(:(:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Devastating news :(
    I didn't know him personally but he was a year ahead of me in secondary school. As far as I remember, he gave up boxing for a while in order to complete his Leaving Cert as a backup should his boxing career not work out. I remember the teachers in the school always saying that even though he was older than the majority of students (and some teachers as well), he always showed everyone, be they student or teacher, the utmost respect and that culminated in him winning the Student of the Year award in his final year.
    I'm not exactly a boxing fan, but watching his bouts were the highlight of the Olympics last year for me.

Ar dheis dé go raibh a anam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Knew Darren well. Sometimes when things like this happen ya look back and think was there something I should have seen. With Darren there never any indication anything was ever wrong.
    So confident, mentally strong, easy going and so forth. We can only wonder what was in his mind.

Sincere and deep condolences to the Sutherland family who are both loving and tight knit as you could possibly meet. I hope you guys find your peace.

RIP my friend, hope you are at ease now.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

Unbelievable. RIP Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭martybike

Shocking! Great character. Met him a few times. Very professional in his approach to boxing. Darren will be sadly missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Only just heard. Can't believe it. Huge loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Very sad about this. :(

There have been some great moments in Irish sport over last few yrs, but this is a dark day.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 12 keith1976

walshb wrote: »
    My favorite fight from Beijing was his win over Blanco. It was so classy and
    thought out. I always looked forward to watching his bouts as he had that
    power in each hand and was so strong and fit and had a great chin too.

Second that. Must of watched that fight a hundred times.

They gave him a wee nod in the Venezuelen newpapers today too.

I hope he knew how proud we were of him..perfect ambassador. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

keith1976 wrote: »
    Second that. Must of watched that fight a hundred times.

They gave him a wee nod in the Venezuelen newpapers today too.

I hope he knew how proud we were of him..perfect ambassador. RIP.

On the flip side, I think that he put so so much thought and effort and focus
    into that win, that he lost a bit for the next fight against DeGale. He looked as if he had left a little something in the ring vs. Blanco. It was like Darren's final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vibez

Devastated just cant believe it.......

My thoughts are with his family

R.I.P Darren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ComDubh

It is very sad to see the photo of this fine young man and think that he's gone. Sounded like a lovely guy any time I heard him interviewed. Condolences to his family and I wish them strength in coping with this loss. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Dave.

R.I.P Darren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

R.I.P Darren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

It just goes to show you can never tell whats going on in someones mind. He was an extremely talented boxer and was well on his way to a glowing proffessional career. James DeGale said "It is very, very sad news.
    "I just could not believe it; my heart went to the floor when I heard. He was a big part of my Olympic medal journey and it is just terrible."
    DeGale described Sutherland as "an excellent fighter" and "a gentleman outside the ring".
    He will be sorely missed by the boxing world and by Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

RIP Darren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

what a sound guy, such a loss.

RIP Darren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

absolutely gutting news - hope we get to mark his passing at the Dunne fight - terrible news, RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭the_cat_is_back

Did the country proud in Beiijing. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

RIP - our prayers should be with his family at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

just back in Manchester after the wedding and heard. Horrible news, I've spoken to the guy a few times and he was a friend on facebook. He always had time for fans and journalists and loved boxing as a sport and a way of life.

truely gutted - I dread to think what would drive a man with the world literally at his feet to do such a thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

darren-sutherland_1481513c.jpg

RIP

legend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭itouchmyself

If you didnt know about him, why did you go on to the boxing thread look up his name click on it and make a remark?????

Are you abit slow???? not slagging you just a serious question??

R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

RIP Darren & condolences to those that knew him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Rest in peace Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Crotchety wrote: »
    I said that's it. Now drop it.

I haven't been on here in a while but just wanted to come on and show respect to Daz.

I knew him over the last seven years, and although he came across cocky sometimes, underneath there was a sensitive soul. I interviewed him a few years back and asked him why he didn't stay with Ingle, and you could see in his eyes that he couldn't stay away from his family and friends for long.

we don't know what goes on in peoples minds so lets leave the speculation to others.

I know from watching him training in Saviours, in the Stadium and as a pro, that he could've been anything he wanted to be in boxing.

A couple of friends who box were in London last week, said he was cheerful and happy, the usual Darren, and really looking forward to October.

This life is strange. We will all miss you man, Irish boxing won't be the same. See you on the other side.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭jolsen

I saw James DeGale on tv the other day and hoped Darren would get to fight him in the not too distant future, sadly not to be.

My condolences to those who knew him, I'm truly shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

This life is strange. We will all miss you man, Irish boxing won't be the same. See you on the other side.:(

Does anyone who knows something about boxing answer me this.
    Why did he have to go to London and into Frank Maloney's stable?
    Why not stay in Ireland like Bernard Dunne for example?
    Still could have gone across the water for fights etc.
    RIP Darren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

RIP Darren.

Probably more opportunities in London.
    RIP Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

We all make choices mate. Going to England didn't make yesterday happen, although I believe he would've liked to have stayed here.
    As I have said, you never know what people are feeling, thinking etc.

It is a lonely world, ask any boxer or footballer who goes abroad to do their trade, it can be tough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

RIP Darren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

RIP Darren

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

RIP Darren.

Kind of like asking why did Andy lee go with Emanual Steward & not brian peters... Malony is a way bigger fish, in a way bigger pond & had the tools and knowledge to get darren to where he wanted to go.
    Dunne & Peters ambitions are slightly different - to where darren wanted to be

Advertisement