Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Darren Sutherland

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

if it's a case of he is going on to highlight the devastation this illness causes to those left behind in the hope it will make others pause and reconsider ending their life and maybe encourage them to reach out to the support service then it's to be welcomed.

however, if it's soley motivated by anger and he seeking to apportion blame, then his father should ask himself the question is this what his son would have wanted, if the answer is no then he should cancel the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Just saw Tubridy before the news listing out the guests they have on the show and he didn't mention the Sutherland family. Hopefully someone's seen some sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It says on RTE teletext (p301) that he'll be talking to Tony and Linda Sutherland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Absolutly heartbreaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

really sad to watch ,fair play to tony for being strong enough to come on air

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

A man who really loved his son

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Tubs kept hinting at Maloney, whats the point ?

Cheap tv at the expense of Darren.

I was expecting it to be more informative, however it was said that due to legal reasons they couldn't say much, they must have been hit with a gagging order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

People who are grieving look for answers. The painful truth is he had booked in to see a psychiatrist but killed himself before he attended. Sad but true. What is the legal action all about ? Are they suing Mr Maloney for negligence ? Won't bring poor Darren back and will only prolong their agony

Whatever about the alleged negligence on Maloney's part, it was simply out of order that, as his Father said, that there were RIP messages being put up on his Bebo site before his family even knew about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

The fact Darren had his whole day planned out and written down as his Dad said, and shopping done etc..... makes this all the more baffling. Its not the actions of a guy who was planning it in advance. One can only imagine it was a decision made in a split second on Darrens part. I knew Darren myself and his dad confirmed all that his friends would have known about him. Fun loving, happy, bubbly and a role model for those who looked up to him. And he was mentally strong too. Baffling. And so hard for his family not to be able to get closure.

The decision to not tell the family for that length of time is very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i wonder did he fear that the cut under his eye would eventually force him to give up his boxing career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

I think Sutherland was just depressed underneath it all. It's possible to appear OK but underneath to be deeply depressed. I think he was just going through the motions, doing the daily routines of buying bread/milk/writing out lists etc. I watched his last fight and even though he got cut and it was a tough fight, he looked awesome. The commentators were really impressed. But I think he would have been disappointed to have had such a tough fight with a guy he was supposed to be beating easy. He probably got frustrated with boxing when his eye got infected, coupled with other personal problems in his head and he decided to do it. He started second guessing his career and lost his identity as a result imo. It wasn't spontaneous I don't think, it would have been planned and he would have been feeling suicidal for some time imo. If someone is genuinely suicidal, you will not know anything about it because they will never talk about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

It says a lot about the stigma and lack of understanding of depression/mental illness that the family can't countenance that he may have had depression. I'm not saying that he did or did not have depression or some other mental illness, but I think it's odd the family are saying 'There's no way he had depression' as opposed to 'We'd no idea there was anything wrong and while we doubt he had depression, perhaps there is that possibility considering he died by suicide'. Perhaps they will come around to this with time. But that's why I think it was too early for them to do the Late late show. Theri stance won't have done anything to help the stigma or lack of understanding, but considering their grief, maye it's to be expected. Sad situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Jayob10 wrote: »

The decision to not tell the family for that length of time is very strange.

It was 4 hours I believe. I don't know the finer points, but maybe the Police were following certain procedures and that was why.

Anyway, I thought the interview was very strange. It was looking for answers that aren't there and looking for people to blame, that also are not there. It was far too early for that man to be on tv. He wasn't in a fit state and was still obviously broke.

Tony alos insisted Darren didn't suffer with depression, yet he listed off traits all associated with
    it, stress, anxiety etc. We all suffer with these from time to time, but Darren probably was
    past the normal and heading down fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KAT555

:)

I do not think much of Maloney and thought the interview was strange with him on youtube, but if you or the Sutherland's are looking for a person to blame, well, that person doesn't exist IMO.

Your post strongly intimates that Maloney may be part of the reason why Darren took
    his life. Maybe he is, but you cannot blame Maloney or anyone for the decision Darren took.

As for the truth coming out? It was a suicide, and only Darren can reveal the truth as to
    why he took his life. Unfortunately, the truth went with Darren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭itouchmyself

KAT555 wrote: »
    my boyfriend is a boxer and he quoted that with an eye infection the boxer can not spar

Oh my god he must be brilliant with a quote like that :pac::pac::pac:
    Here look he obviouslly had issues in his head end off story, R.I.P he was a great prospect taken to soon but thats sadly what happened. I feel for the family.

It wasn't Malony's fault at all who is to know such a charasmatic man was feeling so low inside, people on here with there lack off knowledge and highinsight are ****ing jokes!!! just leave it please now.

Look, no need to be so 'ratty' with the replies guys. Keep it friendly and civil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

walshb wrote: »
    I do not think much of Maloney and thought the interview was strange with him on youtube, but if you or the Sutherland's are looking for a person to blame, well, that person doesn't exist IMO.

Your post strongly intimates that Maloney may be part of the reason why Darren took
    his life. Maybe he is, but you cannot blame Maloney or anyone for the decision Darren took.

As for the truth coming out? It was a suicide, and only Darren can reveal the truth as to
    why he took his life. Unfortunately, the truth went with Darren.

I agree. Maloney has nothing to do with this whatsoever and the hints coming from certain quarters have no foundation whatsoever either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Just caught The Late Late Show on the RTE Player: http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1056269

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭,mnb

It says a lot about the stigma and lack of understanding of depression/mental illness that the family can't countenance that he may have had depression. I'm not saying that he did or did not have depression or some other mental illness, but I think it's odd the family are saying 'There's no way he had depression' as opposed to 'We'd no idea there was anything wrong and while we doubt he had depression, perhaps there is that possibility considering he died by suicide'. Perhaps they will come around to this with time. But that's why I think it was too early for them to do the Late late show. Theri stance won't have done anything to help the stigma or lack of understanding, but considering their grief, maye it's to be expected. Sad situation.
    +1
    I think its natural for people to look for someone to blame in a situation like this.
    Everything will be investigated and we will know the full story in due course. But my guess is he was suffering, that people around him didnt know this which made it all the much harder for him cause he was dealing with it alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KAT555

Well Darren was never assessed by a doctor or was it confirmed by a doctor that he had depression!! People can be depressed it dosnt mean that they are suffering from the illness of depression and those who are need to be on medication!! Im sure if darren was seen by a doctor his parents would know!!and so would frank!!!A depressed person doesn't plan out their day like darren did on the day he died..a depressed person looses interest in everything that makes them happy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Thought that was a strange interview on Friday night.

Tbh I dont think it should've been done...I felt it was a little disrespectful to sufferers of depression and showed a clear lack of understanding of the illness. Hard to be critical of a father who has just lost their son in this manner but thats why it should not have been done, it achieved nothing.

As for the hints re: Maloney....I think thats very wrong. Its natural to look for answers when something like this happens but suggestions Maloney is somehow responsible are ludicrous.

Advertisement