Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats and a new baby

Options
  • 14-09-2009 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just looking for a bit of advice really. I'm due to have my 1st baby in the next month. I have 3 cats, 2 of whom aren't really a problem cos they're out most of the time, but my 15 year old is a house cat. I'm a just a bit wary of how she will react to the baby. You here all these stories of cats suffocating babies etc:rolleyes: I know most of them aren't true but you still worry.

She basically has been my baby for the past 15 years and will remain so til the day she dies but obviously now I'm not goin to be able to give her the same amount of attention as she's used to. She is very friendly but can be a little b1tch when she wants.

Anyhow just looking to hear your experiences with pets and new babies. Any advice would be much appreciated:D

Ziggy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Hi Ziggy

I am also pregnant and feeling the same about bringing my new baby home to our house which is also my staffies home in a couple of months.

What I have done so far is put a gate on the bottom of the stairs so he doesn't assosciate no longer being let upstairs because of the new baby.

I also now wash my dog in baby shampoo to get him a little more familiar with the scent of baby.

He has been around babies and children and it hasn't bothered him even in the slightest but I would never ever leave him even in the room for 2 seconds alone with a baby or child. I actually can't even leave him in the room wih one of my trainers for that length of time never minda a baby.

With the cat your only real problem could be the cat will always follow heat. Babies are so warm they like to snuggle up to them hence the suffociation stories.

If you have to open a window make sure that it is locked open at the smallest width so there is no way a cat can climb in.

If you have your child around the time you will be turning on the heating at home get a radiator basket and the cat will have no interest looking any further for heat. You can let the cat in the same room but no unsupervised. If it is a house cat make sure your bedroom door is closed during the night so that the cat can not go into the room and get into the babies basket.

If you use a litter tray maybe move to the furthest point of the house and eventually outside as they can be dangerous for kids not just touching them but actually the fumes can harm a baby.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

All those suffocation stories are crap in all fairness.

Our cat sometimes climbs into our 1 year old cot(the fecker hides in the room and we think hes out) and sleeps there for the night.Hasnt bothered the baby yet and she still hasnt suffocated.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    All those suffocation stories are crap in all fairness.

Our cat sometimes climbs into our 1 year old cot(the fecker hides in the room and we think hes out) and sleeps there for the night.Hasnt bothered the baby yet and she still hasnt suffocated.

I still wouldn't let in lie with a newborn baby. A one year old can move the child out of the way.

Also hygiene would have an important role to play. I wouldn't fancy my cats backside stuck in my babies face.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

wexford202 wrote: »
    I still wouldn't let in lie with a newborn baby. A one year old can move the child out of the way.

Also hygiene would have an important role to play. I wouldn't fancy my cats backside stuck in my babies face.

No we dont let it lie in with the baby but he has this sneaky way of hiding elsewhere in the room and jumps in during the night when we think hes already out.

Obviously if we find him in there hes turfed out because as you say its unhygenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. Was thinking of getting one of those gates alright.They are handy to have when the baby gets older too I think I'm just goin to have to get a bit more strict with the cat. She has the run of the house. I have bought her about 5 beds but she won't go near them would rather sleep in my bed:rolleyes: If I don't let her in she scratches at the door all night. My mam reckons she won't want to go near the baby if she hears him screaming and crying. Here's hoping!!!

• Advertisement

When my nephew is up and starts squealing the dog is straight out the door as if to say I am not listening to that racket.

The fact that you are aware of your cat and know that you need to restrict it a little in the house means that you are 80% on the way to an easy life when the baby comes. Now you just need to put them into practise when the baby arrives.

Best of luck by the way.

You'll do great.;)

wexford202 wrote: »
    When my nephew is up and starts squealing the dog is straight out the door as if to say I am not listening to that racket.

The fact that you are aware of your cat and know that you need to restrict it a little in the house means that you are 80% on the way to an easy life when the baby comes. Now you just need to put them into practise when the baby arrives.

Best of luck by the way.

You'll do great.;)

Thanks a million Wexford

She actually slept in her bed downstairs last night could not believe it:eek:

I'm also getting one of those video monitors so that'll be handy in case any kittys sneak in without me seeing!!
    Best of luck to you too and thanks for your advice
    xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

I do understand your concerns but I'm the living example that cats and babies can get on. The family cat, a big tough ginger tom took it upon himself to babysit me and my brother in his spare time. From what parents and aunts told me, he used to sit next to the pram outside in the garden(this goes back a long time when there were still summers and you could leave babies out in the garden...). Whenever there was a stir or a wail coming from the pram, he ran inside to get somebody's attention.
    When we got older he still had a lot of patience with us and let us away with what he would have considered "smacking offences" from adults. He certainly made me the cat lover that I am today!
    Hope your cat will take on this caring role. Good luck!

BrigR wrote: »
    I do understand your concerns but I'm the living example that cats and babies can get on. The family cat, a big tough ginger tom took it upon himself to babysit me and my brother in his spare time. From what parents and aunts told me, he used to sit next to the pram outside in the garden(this goes back a long time when there were still summers and you could leave babies out in the garden...). Whenever there was a stir or a wail coming from the pram, he ran inside to get somebody's attention.
    When we got older he still had a lot of patience with us and let us away with what he would have considered "smacking offences" from adults. He certainly made me the cat lover that I am today!
    Hope your cat will take on this caring role. Good luck!

Aww so cute:D

My kitty and bump haven't got off to a great start really. I think she resents the fact that there's no room on my lap for her anymore and if she does manage to find a space she usually gets a kick or punch in the head from baba!
    I wonder does she know whats goin on

Advertisement