Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbuilds - how much insulation are you putting in?

• 14-09-2009 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

What thicknesses of insulation are you putting in floors, walls, roofs? Have you made cavity walls wider than standard to accomodate insulation?
    Is your house timber frame or block built?

We're about to start block build and just wondering how much insulation everyone is putting in and what u-values are you aiming for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 rosnacanee

125 mm xtratherm in the floor as have underfloor heating

80 mm xtratherm in the wall - need to decide this early as the cavity needs to be 40 mm bigger than the insulation. i.e. if you have a 100m cavity too late to put in 80 mm have to use 60mm. not much i the price about 750 euro.

havent deceided on the roof yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

I am not an expert by any means but I think that you have asked the wrong question.

You should look to achieve a certain u-value. i.e. 0.2 for walls and then look at what thickness of a particular type of insulation will achieve this.

The reason I say this is because different type of insulation will have different insulating properties so 100mm of type x might be as good as 150mm of type y....

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Hi, made our cavity 6 inches ( 150m) rather than 4 inches ( 100m), and used pumped bonded bead insulation. Not an expert by any means but only can say
    that we haven't a cold room in the house ( just don't tell the wife i said that, as she claims the on-suite is freezing !!:D)

W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Am using 150mm Extratherm/UF in the floor to achieve an overal U-Value of .12*

My wall make up will be:
    100mm Outer Leaf
    50mm Cavity
    100mm Xtratherm/CW
    215mm Inner Leaf
    38mm Xtratherm/TL
    U-value .15*

Excluding the 38mm XtrathermTL reduces it to .18 which I think is adequte for what most people need.

*All U-Values supplied by Xtratherm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    that we haven't a cold room in the house ( just don't tell the wife i said that, as she claims the on-suite is freezing !!:D)
    Dont worry, they all say that :D

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Dont worry, they all say that :D
    Its when it feels cold in the bedroom you've really got to start listening ;) :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Quazzie wrote: »
    Am using 150mm Extratherm/UF in the floor to achieve an overal U-Value of 1.2*

*All U-Values supplied by Xtratherm.

1.2?

MicktheMan wrote: »
    1.2?
    Sorry, its meant to read 0.12 :o

Editted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

rear and side extension. 150 in the slab. Cavity Block not cavity wall! 50mm horizontal on internal wall followed by another 50mm vertical, then plaster board and plastered. Moisture membrane in there somewhere. Outside wall is rendered in most places and in other areas rendered and cladded. Triple glaze windows, standard rads and 35kw combi boiler. Vent system. Not my spec, but architect recommended it. Zinc roof, not sure of the spec here. I know the sound of cavity block will be met with cringes but only yesterday I was talking to a lady that renovates and extends every year. She said that her last project was similar to the above and apart for the speed of construction, she rarely switches on the heat. She says she will never do cavity wall again. Time will tell.

Advertisement