Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Guitars/ Advice please

Options
  • 14-09-2009 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey folks, i'm looking for advice on electric guitars, i was looking to buy an electric guitar as i need it for a band i'm playing in, it will be only used for one or two songs so i don't want to go mad and spend a fortune on one, now when i was searching the internet a came across a site that said that if you put electric guitar strings on a semi acoustic guitar and then run it through an amp to the pa that i would get a sound thats close enough to an electric guitar sound, is this true as i could do it as i have two semi acoustic guitars and it would save me from getting a new guitar, if its bull could ye recommend a guitar that i could buy, i was told that a line 6 variax 400 switches between an electric and acoustic guitar at the flick of a switch, thanks in advance for your taughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Electric guitars are not all created equal, there's so many different tones/sounds you're going to get out of different types ie, Strats, Teles, Les Pauls etc etc and even within those guitars there are tonnes of possibilities for different tones.
    So you have to decide what sound you want, and btw putting "electric" strings on a semi acoustic just isn't going to give you the tones of an electric guitar...although even that statement is very broad/vague!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 groovyspiderguy

The thing is that electric V's accoustic are two totally different worlds. It depends what kinda stuff you're playing but generally, electric = solos or at least power plus versatility.There are plenty of cheap electric packages available from the bigger music stores in Dublin etc., but often you'll get a nice guitar second hand in the classifieds. Again dependant on what it's for Aria, Yamaha, Squire, Fender Mex, Ibanez, Jackson, are all good for clean & dirty solo & rhythm. If it's just rhythm, copies are, hmmmm ok too!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

alomolloy wrote: »
    Hey folks, i'm looking for advice on electric guitars, i was looking to buy an electric guitar as i need it for a band i'm playing in, it will be only used for one or two songs so i don't want to go mad and spend a fortune on one, now when i was searching the internet a came across a site that said that if you put electric guitar strings on a semi acoustic guitar and then run it through an amp to the pa that i would get a sound thats close enough to an electric guitar sound, is this true as i could do it as i have two semi acoustic guitars and it would save me from getting a new guitar, if its bull could ye recommend a guitar that i could buy, i was told that a line 6 variax 400 switches between an electric and acoustic guitar at the flick of a switch, thanks in advance for your taughts

I presume by semi-acoustic ya mean an acoustic guitar with a pickup? Or dya mean somethin like this?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Guitar_Epiphone_01.jpg

If its the former, then it definitely wont sound like an electric no matter what ya do with it. Id advise pickin up a cheap second hand leccy on adverts or somewhere. If ya want a new one, id try a yamaha pacifica, it wouldnt be spectacular on a recording or anythin, but if its for a gig or just jammin, itd be grand.

Just a recommendation and yad really need to know what sort of sound ya want out of it and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 alomolloy

thanks for replies, what i'm talking about is acoustic guitar with a pick up, i'd only be using the electric guitar basically to ring out chord changes in the middle of tunes rather than playing instrumentals on it, the music would be along the lines of The Pogues so i'd be strumming it rather than plucking it to get that fuller sound

Advertisement