Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''We're Safer in Europe''

Options
  • 14-09-2009 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

SDC10988.JPG

Hey guys.

Just saw this poster today. After seeing it i went home and read the lisbon treaty.

I have to admit I'm really confused.

The poster is advocating a Yes vote because ''we're safer in Europe.''

Does this mean if we vote no that continental borders will be re-drawn and Ireland will no longer be in Europe? And that our current ''safety'' levels will be diminished?

Does anyone know what continent we would then be members of? Will it be Asia?

Its just that after reading the treaty earlier I didnt find anything in it that mentioned re-drawing continental borders...

Maybe someone can clarify.

cordially,

Buster
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

SDC10988.JPG

Hey guys.

Just saw this poster today. After seeing it i went home and read the lisbon treaty.

I have to admit I'm really confused.

The poster is advocating a Yes vote because ''we're safer in Europe.''

Does this mean if we vote no that continental borders will be re-drawn and Ireland will no longer be in Europe? And that our current ''safety'' levels will be diminished?

Does anyone know what continent we would then be members of? Will it be Asia?

Its just that after reading the treaty earlier I didnt find anything in it that mentioned re-drawing continental borders...

Maybe someone can clarify.

cordially,

Buster

It could be a reference to the various provisions on cross-border crime (particularly against women and children) in Lisbon. We've opted out, but it would still make Europe safer. The woman actually says "I'm safer in Europe", as far as I recall.

Alternatively, it could be a completely vacuous slogan.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Scofflaw wrote: »
    It could be a reference to the various provisions on cross-border crime (particularly against women and children) in Lisbon. We've opted out, but it would still make Europe safer. The woman actually says "I'm safer in Europe", as far as I recall.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I'd say "completely vacuous slogan" is the correct interpretation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bustertherat

cordially,
    Scofflaw

God, if what you're saying is true it appears that this poster is extremely misleading. Because when one looks at it the interpretation is that a No vote will mean we are no longer in Europe. This blatant scare-mongering tactic would have almost persuaded me to vote Yes, so my heartfelt thanks must go to Scofflaw for clearing this up for me.

I'm so mad right now, I can't believe the Yes posters are so blatantly deceptive. Its almost like the Government is trying to scare us into voting Yes. I never thought the people who are representing us at a national level would be so inclined to not have our best interests at heart. Oh silly me.

cordially,
    Buster

God, if what you're saying is true it appears that this poster is extremely misleading. Because when one looks at it the interpretation is that a No vote will mean we are no longer in Europe. This blatant scare-mongering tactic would have almost persuaded me to vote Yes, so my heartfelt thanks must go to Scofflaw for clearing this up for me.

I'm so mad right now, I can't believe the Yes posters are so blatantly deceptive. Its almost like the Government is trying to scare us into voting Yes. I never thought the people who are representing us at a national level would be so inclined to not hae our best interests at heart. Oh silly me.

cordially,
    Buster

Well, you were going to vote No anyway, so you don't really need to worry about the details - which is probably just as well, since you have most of them mixed up.

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I'm so mad right now, I can't believe the Yes posters are so blatantly deceptive. Its almost like the Government is trying to scare us into voting Yes. I never thought the people who are representing us at a national level would be so inclined to not have our best interests at heart. Oh silly me.

cordially,
    Buster

And the poster is from ..... ?

• Advertisement

ghost_ie wrote: »
    I'd say "completely vacuous slogan" is the correct interpretation

Probably...

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Tarobot

cordially,
    Buster

Where's your rant about the Coir posters? Lies are far worse than a bunch of platitudes.

We're waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Well, you were going to vote No anyway, so you don't really need to worry.

amused,
    Scofflaw

Yeah that does seem fairly obvious given your tone.

And your stealing of Scofflaw's trademark sign-off is unforgivable in my book :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

why are the posters important anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

. Its almost like the Government is trying to scare us into voting Yes.

like the alternative on the NO side are saints themselves

http://www.coircampaign.org/index.php/materials-documents/posters

ahem

anyways the poster is correct if it refers to human trafficking, which is a serious issue in all EU countries including Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Interpreting "we're safer in Europe" to mean that we'll be kicked out if we vote no it's what's known as a "straw man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The poster is misleading. Most of the posters on both sides are misleading. The gloves are off at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bustertherat

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

You don't think posters have any effect on how people vote...?

cordially,
    Buster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Also if I was stretching it beyond belief, it could refer to the climate-change element of the Treaty. However I kind of agree that these Yes posters do not specify at all the pertinent benefits, instead favouring vague themes.

Also your posts in the Conspiracy Forum suggest that the OP wasn't a question at all
    Run to the hills, you sir are my favourite person on boards.ie!!!!

Would the Irish people please wake up....Lisbon is the finally step towards totalitarianism!!!!

would you also believe the pro lisbon mods banned me from the EU forum for expressing my anti lisbon opinion!!!how does that not surprise me!!!

SkepticOne wrote: »
    The poster is misleading. Most of the posters on both sides are misleading. The gloves are off at this stage.

You wouldn't be saying that if you were a woman trafficked into Europe to be raped and abused

funny how Coir care more for unborn fetuses than grown up people

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Probably because they represent the only research that a large proportion of the poplation will partake in prior to voting :(

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    You wouldn't be saying that if you were a woman trafficked into Europe to be raped and abused

funny how Coir care more for unborn fetuses than grown up people
    No offence but your hysterics seem to me to be as bad as Coir's.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hated this poster more than the other Yes ones, but I suppose it is a direct response to the "EU will conscript all our children" point, when most EU Countries have done away with conscription and very few have it.

The poster is based on the Treaty, which makes a change!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Also if I was stretching it beyond belief, it could refer to the climate-change element of the Treaty. However I kind of agree that these Yes posters do not specify at all the pertinent benefits, instead favouring vague themes.

I believe the Referendum Commission made a remark to that effect - that the reason they more often contradicted No side claims wasn't bias, but that the No side made specific and false claims about the Treaty, whereas the Yes side claims were "more vague and general".

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Lies, damn lies and Lisbon treaty posters.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

cordially,
    Buster

No more so then the countless other sources of information on the treaty. They just happen to be a very bad source regardless of who puts it up.

Actually I cant think of a single poster put up by either side thats been truthfull

Hell I cant think of any from the general election either.

Or the European Election.

When have posters actually been benefitial to the issue rather then simply stirring sh*t up?

nullzero wrote: »
    Lies, damn lies and Lisbon treaty posters.

half a million people is not "hysterics" or a lie

"An estimated 500,000 women from Central and Eastern Europe are working in prostitution in the EU alone"

http://www.unesco.org/courier/2000_02/uk/ethique/intro.htm

Young women and girls are often lured to wealthier countries by the promises of money and work and then reduced to sexual slavery

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article2547626.ece

more reading for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_trafficking

i provided facts and figures, now are there any more comments from the NO side that will spit on these people

/

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

cordially,
    Buster

YEP, they do as COIR proved, but they can go too far, as COIR proved, but time will tell. The minimum wage one, maybe brilliant or so outlandish, it could seriously backfire.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

however little i like Greens for not letting FF fall, i have to agree with this

Lisbon Treaty is good for Women - De Burca
    Issued: 03 September 2009
    Statement by Deirdre de Burca
    Spokesperson on Health and Children; Defence; European Affairs; Gaeltacht

Lisbon builds on Europe's good track record on women’s rights
    At a public meeting on the Lisbon Treaty hosted by the Feminist Open Forum last night in the Central Hotel in Dublin, the Green Party’s spokesperson on European Affairs, Senator Deirdre de Burca said that the Lisbon Treaty represented a ‘good deal for women’.
    “The European Union has a very good track record in relation to women’s rights generally and has been responsible for our domestic legislation on equal pay, non-discrimination, maternity leave and parental leave” she said. “The Lisbon Treaty builds upon, and consolidates this” she said.
    Senator de Burca told those present that the Lisbon Treaty would mainstream gender into all EU activities and would combat discrimination based on sex. She said that the Lisbon treaty would help the EU to fight against human trafficking and the sexual exploitation of women and children.
    The Lisbon Treaty also contains an objective to combat all kinds of domestic violence and requires Member States to take all necessary measures to prevent and punish such violence” she said.
    The Green Party Senator also told her audience that the Lisbon Treaty contains strong policies that would help to tackle poverty in the developing world, make the European Union more accountable, democratic and transparent and enable its Members States to be better able to tackle major environmental challenges.
    Senator de Burca urged Irish women to vote Yes to the Lisbon Treaty in the referendum on October 2nd

But it is very tangible and real benefit. Which in our wisdom we have chosen not to partake in. Bizarly it appears to be purely because the UK isn't participating , our position on this section changed between the original constitution and Lisbon, because after they opted out, we did likewise.
    Article 83 (ex Article 31 TEU)

1. The European Parliament and the Council may, by means of directives adopted in accordance with the ordinary legislative procedure, establish minimum rules concerning the definition of criminal offences and sanctions in the areas of particularly serious crime with a cross-border dimension resulting from the nature or impact of such offences or from a special need to combat them on a common basis. These areas of crime are the following: terrorism, trafficking in human beings and sexual exploitation of women and children, illicit drug trafficking, illicit arms trafficking, money laundering, corruption, counterfeiting of means of payment, computer crime and organised crime. On the basis of developments in crime, the Council may adopt a decision identifying other areas of crime that meet the criteria specified in this paragraph. It shall act unanimously after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.

2. If the approximation of criminal laws and regulations of the Member States proves essential to ensure the effective implementation of a Union policy in an area which has been subject to harmonisation measures, directives may establish minimum rules with regard to the definition of criminal offences and sanctions in the area concerned. Such directives shall be adopted by the same ordinary or special legislative procedure as was followed for the adoption of the harmonisation measures in question, without prejudice to Article 76.

3. Where a member of the Council considers that a draft directive as referred to in paragraph 1 or 2 would affect fundamental aspects of its criminal justice system, it may request that the draft directive be referred to the European Council. In that case, the ordinary legislative procedure shall be suspended. After discussion, and in case of a consensus, the European Council shall, within four months of this suspension, refer the draft back to the Council, which shall terminate the suspension of the ordinary legislative procedure. Within the same timeframe, in case of disagreement, and if at least nine Member States wish to establish enhanced cooperation on the basis of the draft directive concerned, they shall notify the European Parliament, the Council and the Commission accordingly. In such a case, the authorisation to proceed with enhanced cooperation referred to in Article 20(2) of the Treaty on European Union and Article 329(1) of this Treaty shall be deemed to be granted and the provisions on enhanced cooperation shall apply.

"Safer in Europe" "Vote Yes"

The posters are misleading because the implication of them is that the vote has something to do with membership of the EU. They show a certain contempt for the electorate.

The main argument in their defence seems to be that they are no worse than the fringe loony Coir group's posters. Those making that argument, however, are admitting that they are willing to sink as low as their opponents in order to win this fight.

It's going to get interesting from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

half a million people is not "hysterics" or a lie

"An estimated 500,000 women from Central and Eastern Europe are working in prostitution in the EU alone"

http://www.unesco.org/courier/2000_02/uk/ethique/intro.htm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article2547626.ece

more reading for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_trafficking

i provided facts and figures, now are there any more comments from the NO side that will spit on these people

/

I was merely using humor to highlight the dirty tactics used by both sides in the Lisbon debate.

I agree that human trafficking is an awful thing, but I don't know what relevance it has to this thread.
    I think you may perhaps be taking this too much to heart, I can't see how anyone here is saying; "No to Lisbon, Yes to human trafficking and abuse of women". I just don't see the context and I don't appreciate you taking what was an off the cuff comment which was meant to raise a wry smile from those who read it and have it turned into something sinister and nasty.

Glazers Out!

marco_polo wrote: »
    But it is very tangible and real benefit. Which in our wisdom we have chosen not to partake in. Bizarly it appears to be purely because the UK isn't participating , our position on this section changed between the original constitution and Lisbon, because after they opted out, we did likewise.
    Nothing wrong with that but Ireland remains "In Europe" regardless of the Lisbon vote.

More hysterics tbh, suggesting that the No side are in favour of human trafficking.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with that but Ireland remains "In Europe" regardless of the Lisbon vote.

We would be in Europe whether we were in the EU or not. It's a simple fact of geography. Whether we would retain our current good working relationship with the EU is a different matter.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement