Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the best bag of chips in the county?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 chucky82

best chips in town ....enzos in parnell st mmmmm tasty....
    :)

ye lads havent a notion!
    Vesuvio in kilrush - now thats some good chips...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

New chipper in Sixmilebridge beside Tim Crowes called Duck's Fish. Absolutely savage chips, fish, chicken and battered sausage (I didn't eat all that in one setting).
    Had the cod and chip today and it was devilishly good but I feel like I need a shower!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 judo

Just drove from the Beara Peninsular to Sligo and stopped off to try the Fish & chips at The Kettle of Fish, The Square, Gort Galway. I'm a man who likes his fish & chips (my wife would say I'm obsessed!).

I have to report that the Fish & Chips were by far the best I've had in Ireland. I drove away eating in the van, but felt like turning round, driving back to the shop and shaking the hands of the lovely ladies that served them!

Home smoked fish and proper thick chips.

Highly recommended. *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Nicest freshest chips in Ennis are Hillbillys by a country mile. Very small portion though, you would be crying for more when you get a snack box.

Enzos on Parnell St very good but inconsistent. The rest are all frozen chips so much of a much really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

Do Hillbilly's do fresh cut chips? I didn't know that, just assumed they were frozen! Love Enzo's chips but their fish isn't great. There's a 'traditional' fish & chip shop on carmody street - can't think of the name of it, and it's quite nice, the chap there is very friendly, wraps up the chips in the old proper chip paper - you know the one, looks like newspaper without the print!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the best bag of chips i have found in ireland,was in a chip shop ,on the bridge going into the village of avoca[ballykisangle]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

franco's in ennistymon are good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

judo wrote: »
    Just drove from the Beara Peninsular to Sligo and stopped off to try the Fish & chips at The Kettle of Fish, The Square, Gort Galway. I'm a man who likes his fish & chips (my wife would say I'm obsessed!).

I have to report that the Fish & Chips were by far the best I've had in Ireland. I drove away eating in the van, but felt like turning round, driving back to the shop and shaking the hands of the lovely ladies that served them!

Home smoked fish and proper thick chips.

Highly recommended. *****

I'd say Naughton's fish & chips shop (don't know about the bar as I haven't tried it) in Kilkee is as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Summary of Ennis

Hill-Billys - Dodge
    Enzos - Parnell St - dodge
    Enzos - Abbey St - dodge
    Yvonnes - decent
    Numero Uno - decent
    Supermacs - dodge
    Fish Bar (carmody st) - decent
    Abra - dodge
    McD's - dodge

Basically no really nice chips anywhere in Ennis, wtf, time to open one up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Tommy Murphy

ye lads havent a notion!
    Vesuvio in kilrush - now thats some good chips...

Unquestionably the best in Clare and excellent service as well. Can't think of anywhere comparable in Ennis though the place beside the Fairgreen (name won't come to me) isn't bad. Although the last time I was in there, the only other customer was having a long wided, very loud arguement with himself. Still you could hardly blame that on the chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

buck65 wrote: »
    Kettle of fish in Gort, Co. Clare:D

I had ants walking around my half raw burger when I went there. Completely disgusting. It puts me off going to places even near it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Enzos off River Lane near the Omniplex. They do traditional imperial chips. All other Enzos branches around town do the crappy metric pre frozen chips.

Had a bag of them today.
    Got to be in the top 5. Yummy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Probably the best chips are from Enzo's in Parnell Street but I wouldn't bother with anything else from any of the chippers - burgers, battered sausages etc.. they're all ****e!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I had ants walking around my half raw burger when I went there. Completely disgusting. It puts me off going to places even near it.

He he. Could be worse remember in Roddy Doyle's "The Van" your man that got the nappy wrapped in batter as your wan working in the van had her baby in the chippy van with her !! Gas !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

woggie wrote: »
    Do Hillbilly's do fresh cut chips? I didn't know that, just assumed they were frozen! Love Enzo's chips but their fish isn't great. There's a 'traditional' fish & chip shop on carmody street - can't think of the name of it, and it's quite nice, the chap there is very friendly, wraps up the chips in the old proper chip paper - you know the one, looks like newspaper without the print!

I believe it's James's Fish and Chips in Carmody Street, proper fish and chips, really nice stuff, them and Enzo's in Parnell Street are the only ones who do fresh chips as opposed to frozen.
    James's has the edge, since they're the only ones who do decent fish, the rest tastes more like Captain Birdsey's.
    Funnily enough, Enzo's have a sign up saying that you can also have frozen chips.
    Why anyone would say "actually, I'd much rather have the frozen chips" it beyond me, but, hey, whatever floats your boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I tend to lean towards James fish and chips. Their chicken and burgers are pretty good. Chips are reasonable.

Hillbillies do the 2nd worst chips in the universe, after Apache Pizza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Sampled Coffey's, Market Square, Kilrush fish & chips today, for the first time, & they were very good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

enzos parnell st and mamamios newmarket - best in clare.. i dont understand why all chippers in clare dont do the proper chipper chips like in dublin (mostly)

Advertisement