Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For those of you who don't

• 15-09-2009 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭

Why have you avoided Irish league football. Besides the obvious drop in skill levels what other reasons do you avoid it. Personally, I don't feel that my demographic (non-Tallaght southside) is served at all by top class Irish football. The only club I can think of is UCD and after it maybe Bray but nothing else. Another thing is the shambolic promotion from these clubs. Went to UCD for three years and not once did they heavily promote the games ever

The quality isn't even that big of an issue for me. Remember the Shels Deportivo game vividly and thinking Hoolahan was the best player on the pitch by a margin that day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

The lack of a team from my area would be the major one for me probably. Find it hard to identify with UCD as it's a college, and not a college I went to.

If they made a Dun Laorghaire FC or something I might get interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

It's not so much the quality of the football as it is the quality of the experience. Standing in a shed with 200 people and going to a top European stadium with 40'000 other people just isn't the same thing. If I actually cared about the team, then this wouldn't matter. I'm not going to care about a team I've never really watched, and I'm not going to go watch them if I don't care about them. A vicious circle.

Agree with the non-Tallaght southside. I'm in Shankill, it's only down the road from Bray but I'd never support a team from there as it's such an insular place.

Basically started supporting a Prem team when I was young as it was the done thing, and this just stuck with me. If the League of Ireland want to attract fans, it should be making a big push on somehow attracting new fans under 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Basically summed up by the two posters above. I also live on the southside. My local team would be UCD, a university team and great rival to the university I went to, and Bray, a place I have no affinity towards whatsoever.

I think supporting a team is something you need to develop when you're a kid. If I was to go along now, the sense of being an outsider would probably put me off going again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

If the League of Ireland want to attract fans, it should be making a big push on somehow attracting new fans under 10.

been saying this for years

under 15s should be free into loi stadia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's not so much the quality of the football as it is the quality of the experience..

Apolgies, I know this is for people who don't go. Fair enough. I've not much to contribute (bit of pain in my hole with these threads if truth be told) but you're on to something here.

The issues of promotion and free-entry are sticky, because the situation is so critical; the facilities so crap, that it's often the case that costs are just too prohibitive. Families are the key for getting kids in. Not necessarily free entry.

I'd love to see more money on MNS, or even for the FAI to contribute some of the cost of better coverage. I watch a lot of games obviously and you actually see some nice football and goals. The last game I went to (cup quarter) had at least two goals that were top-draw. It's amazing how good coverage of football can make it attractive. Something Sky realized years ago. Witness their coverage with all the angles, replays and whatnot, compared to the basic setup of LOI games.

There also has to be a root-and-branch shake up of all the clubs with the absoluite priority being given to making games attractive to families. This doesn't meant you can't have a vibrant Ultras and singing culture. The league has this already. The FAI must stop prioritizing the national team and stadium and help out too - whether by cracking down on the clubs who are financially reckless or offerring a real vision (yeah right) and management.

Some form of detente and then cooperation between the LOI and junior football organisations (often two seperate power blocs) would be great too.

Members clubs need to replace the traditonal LOI fiefdoms too. With priority being on sensible development underwitten by the real stakeholders - supporters.

There also needs to a major civic aspect to this. In my opinion, grants, funding and local authority help needs to be immediately forthcoming. One or two decent family-friendly municipal stadia would be an absoliute boon to the game here. The one thing that is not needed is stupidity like a local authority setting up a new football club in the direct catchment area of two already undersupported clubs.

The medium-term plan should be to forget progress in Europe (within reason) and try and provide a GAA-type local sport experience that doesn't necesarily supplant support of Eglish teams, but complement it, at least in the medium term.

Without blowing the horn, the Tallaght experiment really seems to be working. Some of the games really feel like games, and kids and familes are getting are getting bang into it.

A pipe-dream, that probably is probably impossible to realize, is that we could restrict the departure of young footballers to England until a certain age. Perhaps allowing pre-contracts of some sort. That would keep talent here, increase the crowds and reduce the trawler net syndorme we have now where you get tons of kids going over, getting burned out and losing years of momentum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Turners Cross has loads of u14s at games every time. You see loads of kids wearing CCFC jersies. That is one area where CCFCs policies work very well.

As for the "experience" - well what are you comparing the experience against? For me, it is show up an hour before the game, have a few drinks with friends, maybe a half time one, try enjoy the game, chat about it after. Same in every club I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Helix wrote: »

Shels get loads of them anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I've said it many times on here before. I grew up and live now in Cavan. I could watch countless local GAA games and county games locally when I was young but would of had to travel to Monaghan, Dublin or Louth to see a soccer match.

There are local soccer clubs for kids now but people still have to travel far to see a LoI match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Nothing against all the Dublin sides but I reckon if there were only two big dublin clubs ( 1 south & 1 Northside ) instead of 4 it would be easier to promote it. Also with the likes of Real Madrid promoting a european league I think a midweek league involving teams from Ireland, Scotland,Wales, Holland and Scandinavia would help promote Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

One of my daughters started going to Bohs matches a few season ago but stopped because there was too much aggro surrounding some of the games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

As a lot of people pointed out, I've been supporting Premiership clubs since I was 5 or 6, but my local club, Wexford Youths, only came into being in 2007, so I don't really have much of an affinity for them at this stage. I've attended a few games out of curiosity and I keep an eye on how they're doing every week, but I wouldn't follow them to the same extent as I've followed United, simply because I didn't grow up supporting them. I'd like to get down to support them a bit more, but I just don't really have the desire unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

For me it's a mixture. Growing up in Navan there was no "local club". I feel as attached to Dundalk as I do Manchester to be honest. I could watch the premiership growing up and so got my first tastes of club football from the TV and that's where my bond developed (something some non-imaginary fans can't seem to grasp).
    When it comes to soccer there are 3 options as far as I can see.
    1- Stroll in to my sitting room and watch top level football in comfort and warmth.
    2- Travel to a game. Pay for tickets, transport and if far away accommodation. This offers the live experience which has it's positives but quite a few drawbacks.
    3- Play. OK it's a big drop off in quality :D but playing a game is as exciting as cheering on your favourite club to me.
    To be honest if I'm in a lazy mood it's option 1 and if I'm not it's option 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Much warmer in the pub on a barstool imo.

I used to go to LOI games at Bray alot but its just so bad i had to stop, it was punishing. So that's why i no longer go and don't support the LOI, its a shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Much as I am loathe to agree with the above sentiment, I cannot deny it. Going to The Cross in the last 18 months has been horrific. No enjoyment to it at all, and its not even as cold as Bray there ffs.

The fact that CCFC are a joke in almost everything they do lately does not help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

gimmick wrote: »
    As for the "experience" - well what are you comparing the experience against?

I'm comparing it against attending games in other European countries, namely England and Germany. It's just in no way the same. Ok in England you pay through the roof to go see teams like Arsenal, but I went to see a fair few Bundesliga games for €20. Was only €5 less than that to go see Bohs last time I checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

League of Ireland OP, not the Irish League!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm comparing it against attending games in other European countries, namely England and Germany. It's just in no way the same. Ok in England you pay through the roof to go see teams like Arsenal, but I went to see a fair few Bundesliga games for €20. Was only €5 less than that to go see Bohs last time I checked.

Tell you what, I was in Berlin in May and went to see Hertha playing.

It was the best experience I've had at a football game as an event. But, I was a football tourist then.

From the transport to the stadium, to the organisation inside and out, to the actual stadium itself. A million miles from what you get in the LoI.

And I'll tell you why.

$

The German Association pump money into the game.

The German People go to the matches.

German kids don't dream of playing in France.

Neither of those things happen in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

CHD wrote: »
    Much warmer in the pub on a barstool imo.

I used to go to LOI games at Bray alot but its just so bad i had to stop, it was punishing. So that's why i no longer go and don't support the LOI, its a shambles.

+1

I used to go to Bray matches as a young 'un. It became less and less "family friendly", eventually I just stopped going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Des wrote: »

It was the best experience I've had at a football game as an event. But, I was a football tourist then.

From the transport to the stadium, to the organisation inside and out, to the actual stadium itself. A million miles from what you get in the LoI.

And I'll tell you why.

$

Would have to agree with this. I lived near Stuttgart and became a regular match goer there for three years and it is a pleasure to go to games in Germany. And as stated by Des the transport to and from grounds, the way the crowds get organised in terms of getting into and out of the stadiums, and the atmosphere are all top notch.

I lived in Liverpool for nine years as a kid as was brought to most home games during that time, and still get back about once a month now. When I go back I get to see family and old friends and generally have a good match going experience.

I currently live in the city where I was born, Limerick. I get to see my local team once in a blue moon with maybe 100 people in the ground and even with crowds that small the organisation is brutal, the ground can be filthy, car parking is a major issue, not to mention the total lack of atmosphere and low level of football on show.

Lack of funding is a killer in the LOI. Going to games, especially at the smaller (poorer) clubs is more of an endurance test for the spectator than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

1. Although I always want to see Drogheda United do well, I don’t feel as passionate about them as I do about Liverpool.
    2. Awful facilities
    3. Ridiculous ticket prices
    4. There’s often trouble after games, particularly when certain clubs come and visit. The security/stewarding is non-existant.
    5. Throwaway reason here – but the standard of refereeing is appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Des wrote: »

And I'll tell you why.

$

The thing with Bundesliga im led to beleive is that teams weren't allowed make profits up until recently so they pumped money into improving everything, can't really compare this league to others as Clubs are businesses everywhere else. Bundesliga is a example of how good things could be though.

Also comparing it to LOI is loltastic considering how big Germany is compared to here and how the Bundesliga is one of the best in the world. Of course Irish kids will dream of playing in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

1. Although I always want to see Drogheda United do well, I don’t feel as passionate about them as I do about Liverpool.
    2. Awful facilities
    3. Ridiculous ticket prices
    4. There’s often trouble after games, particularly when certain clubs come and visit. The security/stewarding is non-existant.
    5. Throwaway reason here – but the standard of refereeing is appalling.

1. Not being funny or anything, but how are you more passionate about a team (I'm going to guess) you've seen once or twice and have no real connection?

2. Pppppffff, would you have supported Liverpool years ago back in the day when England had shocking facilities?

3. I'd agree €20 is steep, but if you're a stuent it's only €8 which is a decent price.

4.What clubs would that be? Bohs and.....?

5. I'd agree, would never stop me from supporting a league mind you.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I used to go to Kildare County matches when I was younger, I rarely go anymore due to not being around Kildare too often but since Im home now I'll probably start going again. Its so true about the promotion though, I dont have a clue when their on.

I'd much rather just go down and watch matches at my local club though, whether it be u14 or senior. Stroll down on a Sunday morning and have a look.

Also Des, you can bet yer bollix German Kids dream of playing in Spain/England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

1. Not being funny or anything, but how are you more passionate about a team (I'm going to guess) you've seen once or twice and have no real connection?

2. Pppppffff, would you have supported Liverpool years ago back in the day when England had shocking facilities?

3. I'd agree €20 is steep, but if you're a stuent it's only €8 which is a decent price.

4.What clubs would that be? Bohs and.....?

5. I'd agree, would never stop me from supporting a league mind you.:confused:

1. I’ve seen Liverpool play on about a dozen occasions, and have watched about 99% of their televised matches for the last 15-20 years. I grew up with my brother and cousins all supporting Liverpool, having their jersey’s, posters on wall etc. Things like that have a massive influence. I have no real connection with Drogheda United apart from my Geographic location. I don’t go out of my way to listen to local bands. I listen to the bands that appeal to me. It’s the same with football
    2. Probably. The facilities are just one of many factors that stop me going regularly to games, though I do go to some. It’s one thing on top of another – not great quality of football + poor facilities = a lot of apathy, unfortunately.
    3. I wish I was a student then.
    4. Bohs would certainly be one, and the homes fans aren’t much better. I don’t go to enough games to tell you any others.
    5. It doesn’t stop me either. But I repeat, it’s one thing on top of another. Poor facilties. Poor refereeing. Poor crowds. Often poor football. Amateurish organization and administration. Local/National pride just isn’t enough to get me going to games every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

People will always find excuses not to go see LOI teams , that bands/football analogy is ridiculous by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

CHD wrote: »
    The thing with Bundesliga im led to beleive is that teams weren't allowed make profits up until recently so they pumped money into improving everything, can't really compare this league to others as Clubs are businesses everywhere else. Bundesliga is a example of how good things could be though.

That's not quite right. Bundesliga clubs are profit organizations. A number of them actually do make money (allegedly). And the top tier is marketing their league themselves, just like in England were the Premiership is technically no longer an FA affair.

However, the German FA (DFB) enforces a licensing process which ensures that every club playing in a professional league is sufficiently funded for that operation. Meaning you get promoted you file all your financial details, your business model, your budget and explain to the DFB how this is going to work out for you. The DFB decides whether your operation is sustainable and grants you a license or not.

I believe this stems from occasions in the past (60s/70s) where clubs went bankrupt in the middle of the season upsetting fixture, standings, everything.

It has happened a good few times that clubs were denied a license or denied a license renewal and they were not allowed promotion or even actively relegated solely on financial grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

If the League of Ireland want to attract fans, it should be making a big push on somehow attracting new fans under 10.
    Helix wrote: »
    been saying this for years

Shels were doing that for years. Free season tickets to under 16's. I remember about 3/4 years ago, a mate and his brother went to a spurs game. A week later they got their shels season tickets. The season ticket for shels cost them less than one game at spurs.

Comparing with Germany is funny! A country with a poulation of 80m, football their number 1 sport by a mile, probably the best infrastructure in the world, richest country in europe and the probably the best league suited to football fans in the world!(highest goals per game, cheap beer at games, cheap ticket prices, terraces etc)!
    Or "it's frezzing at bray". Is it colder in ireland than england or germany? Go to northern england in the winter! Most of the towns are dumps and it's even colder than here! You get a decent coat for going to games, get a hat, scarf and gloves.

Advertisement