Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brennans Bread Half Pan

Options
  • 15-09-2009 1:23am
    Company Representative Posts: 103 Verified rep

One of the biggest rip offs has to be the Brennans Bread half pan. The half pan is targeted at old people and single people etc.

The price for a half a pan - €1.24; for a full pan - €1.49 (superquinn) Roughly the same prices are in Tesco.

Generally when something is sold in smaller quantities you can expect to pay about 20% extra pro rata, which is fair enough (packaging, economies of scale etc).

But the price that the Brennans Bread is nearly 70% extra pro rata! Now that's a rip off (and worse it is targeted at the vulnerable in our society).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

yeah its a total ripoff , almost makes no sense to buy the half loaf... feed the birds with the other stale half...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

The Tesco own brand full size pan is cheaper than the Brennans or Pat The Baker half size pan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

derekme wrote: »
    (and worse it is targeted at the vulnerable in our society).

Will everyone eff Off saying "most vunerable in society".

It is BULLSH1T - the elderly are more than able to take care for themsselves, they grew up in much harder times, had frequent water cuts, frequent electricity cuts, had to walk miles to get places, had potholed roads, had little if any technology for household chores, had cars that broke down monthly, had ridiculous tax rates.

The vast majority of them are well able to take care of themselves and are happy to do so - my parents (83 & 79) in particular HATE being branded "most vunerable" - they could show all the "nandy pandy someone must do everthing for me" types a trick or two when it comes to hardship.

The Elderly ARE NOT the most Vunerable in society and have plenty of intelligience to make their own decisions by themselves.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

darc wrote: »
    The vast majority of them are well able to take care of themselves and are happy to do so - my parents (83 & 79) in particular HATE being branded "most vunerable" - they could show all the "nandy pandy someone must do everthing for me" types a trick or two when it comes to hardship.

They were lucky....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

derekme wrote: »
    Generally when something is sold in smaller quantities you can expect to pay about 20% extra pro rata, which is fair enough (packaging, economies of scale etc).

But the price that the Brennans Bread is nearly 70% extra pro rata! Now that's a rip off (and worse it is targeted at the vulnerable in our society).
    This is not particular to brennans bread (are they the new tesco to be singled out!;)) All the bread manufacturers and/or shops are doing this. I am not sure where you got your 20% figure from, and expect everything to fall under this. I got a 5 pack of rolos for €1.67, I would expect a 2-3packs would be more. I expect a 2x500ml of coke to be more than of a 2L of coke.

If you look at other recent threads you will see many people confused as to why mulitpacks are often more expensive too, like a 2x2L of coke can be more than a 2 single 2L separately. Family size tins of beans/peas are usually more expensive than standard ones.

"The most vulnerable" would be buying own brand bread, in full sliced pans and freezing it if there is too much.
    The half pan is targeted at old people and single people etc
    They are targeted at idiots and fools who do not bother to do maths, or people who do not care what they pay and want what suits, and do not want to take advantage of economies of scale. People will little income are probably the most aware of prices of stuff like this. Its the rich women I see in a rush blindly loading trolleys with "bargains", and I thank them as I get my stuff cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

darc wrote: »
    It is BULLSH1T - the elderly are more than able to take care for themsselves, they grew up in much harder times, had frequent water cuts, frequent electricity cuts, had to walk miles to get places, had potholed roads, had little if any technology for household chores, had cars that broke down monthly, had ridiculous tax rates.

You forgot that they used to walk to school in their bare feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Jip wrote: »

I thought that was on their hands and knees?.......... Oh, no, that was on the way back from the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

Brennan's actually sell close to 40,000 units of half pans, per DAY!!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Half a loaf is better than none....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Has anyone here tasted the difference between the half pan and a full pan?

The bread is denser, make for better toast & sandwiches, the slices are smaller, so when you toast it, the full slice is toasted.

OK - its more expensive, sometimes more than it ought to be, but for some reason it seems to be better quality or maybe its just my mind playing tricks.

I'm not vunerable!:D and nor am I single and at just the wrong side of forty, not old! (unless you're a kid, then I'm ancient!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

mcaul wrote: »

The bread is denser, make for better toast & sandwiches, the slices are smaller, so when you toast it, the full slice is toasted.

OK - its more expensive, sometimes more than it ought to be, but for some reason it seems to be better quality or maybe its just my mind playing tricks.

I'm not vunerable!:D and nor am I single and at just the wrong side of forty, not old! (unless you're a kid, then I'm ancient!)

Thats not actually what they are talking about.....

Anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

.5 + .5 = 1

1 divided by 2 is .5

dont u get it!!!???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Jip wrote: »

Several miles through rain hail or snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Maybe its not the rip off you think

Maybe you should use your :rolleyes:LOAF:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

BTW is it definately the half pan not the small pan? Brennans do both

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

mcaul wrote: »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news :P BUT the 'half pan' is EXACTLY what it says, basically all the pans come down the line and are fed into slicers, some of these slicers are specifically for half pans, the loaf is sliced and split into two before being wrapped.

So to confirm, your mind is messing with.....well, your mind!! :D

And yes, Brennans do both a 'half pan' and a 'small pan' I can confirm the 'small pan' is baked seperately, although the quality would not be as good as the half pan, I hope that clears it up LOLOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Several miles through rain hail or snow
    & they baked all their own bread - none of this artificial sliced stuff :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

Let them eat cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

jeckle wrote: »
    & they baked all their own bread - none of this artificial sliced stuff :eek:
    and lived longer on 80 major or gold bond a day and cycling 20-30 miles a day for work.

but the small pan is way overpriced but understandably so as it has to go through the same process as a full sized pan, i would think this might be used in canteens etc for toast

Advertisement