Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Live photography

• 15-09-2009 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi all.

For the past year I've been doing event photography in college (all day time/under lights) but i want to get into nightclub/live music photography, at the moment I have a canon 400d, 18-55mm,sigma 70-210mm and a mounted flash.

What advice would you have in regards equipment, technique etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

For music you're going to want a 50mm f/2.8 or similar. Their really really nice for lights. Flash can be great for live music when used well, and that's if it's even allowed which is rare, depends on venue and band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

try upgrade to a canon 40d, it has better high iso performance, autofocus and more fps. you will be using iso1600-3200, and mostly f2-f2.8

a canon ef 50mm f1.4 would be a good choice. you'll need 20-85mm for most gigs so a wide angle and normal/short telephoto fast prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

Your 400d is grand to start with. I would say though, a 50mm f/1.8 is a good investment if you're gonna shoot in dark venues. It's one of the cheapest lenses canon make, and still one of the most suitable for this type of photography.

40d is great camera, but the 400d is more than adequate to start out with. I've been shooting gigs with a 400d for nearly 3 years now - and while i get funny looks from all the press guys with their 5d mII and 1 series canons at big gigs like electric picnic, i still get similar quality photos.

For example:

3894022716_b75d005e1c.jpg]

3895999353_90dcde272a.jpg

3888824277_c6c026f48f_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Have to 2nd the 50mm f1.8 (nifty fifty), It's under €100 whereas the 1.4 is far more expensive and not necessary when you are only wanting to get into live photography. I use a 400d at live gigs too and results are fine, plan on upgrading soon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Have to 2nd the 50mm f1.8 (nifty fifty), It's under €100 whereas the 1.4 is far more expensive and not necessary when you are only wanting to get into live photography. I use a 400d at live gigs too and results are fine, plan on upgrading soon.

trying to work with a 1.4 dof isnt easy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

trying to work with a 1.4 dof isnt easy

Yup.
    But sometimes just going with it and hoping for the best can be your only option - especially in places like the academy were the lighting is appalling.

3820329310_f975c298ea.jpg
    This was in the academy, at 2.8, iso 1000 and 1/60. I don't take anything but the 50mm and 85mm 1.8s to there now, and they're always at 1.8. You throw away a lot of images, but it's better to have a few keepers than a lot a mediocre, dark work.

You'll love the 50mm 1.8, even for stuff that isn't in line with gigs etc. It's the best lens out there in its price range by MILES.

Flash isn't allowed in most venues, but there are a few people here who've gotten away with it!

My advice is get in contact with MCD or some paper that will be happy with you taking pics, get the 50mm and get in nice and close to the performers. It's great fun.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

email touring manager or band is a better approach for gigs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I use a 50mm f1.8 and a Canon 400D and I rarely shoot with ISO higher than 800, usually I try to keep it to ISO 400 although even at ISO1600 I find the 400D fine. You constantly have to change your settings and fiddle about with them during the gig to get good shots. I tend not to use flash as I don't really like it.

One thing I will stress that is very important when doing live music photography is focussing. When you use a lens with f1.8 or f.1.4 you only have a very narrow dof and you will often find that the autofocus setting on the camera will focus on the mic in front of the singer or the drums in front of the drummer and leave the person you want in focus blurry. If you can get used to manual focus then you can get over this but do bear it in mind when taking shots.

And some obligatory shots of my own :)

3901532833_e260072fef.jpg

3735995476_e81a40d761.jpg

3672039827_6479d3e8c6.jpg

3509568443_f959c9e58e.jpg

3080538405_9103aebcd5.jpg

I've found academy way to bright at times, too intense before but I guess it all depends on the night. And going to MCD, don't get me started haha, their very hard to get into. Best bet, when starting out at least is to go direct to the band/tour mangager/booker.

Since we're sharing haha, here's a few 50m f/1.8 shots.

3627813637_947bcc1a3c.jpg

2864736251_59ab954bed.jpg

2396643051_5a8f6f55fa.jpg

489778513_2866bf5a8f.jpg

489778525_f2fe3ef8e0.jpg

489778519_1ce19249da.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Thanks guys, I'm definately going to invest in a 50mm f/1.8 asap!
    In regards getting gigs, when contacting tour managers/promotors, do you say its for a private portfolio/freelance or lie your ass off and try and bluff some manner of press affilation? I am involved with the college paper but they aren't big on gig reviews

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, I'm definately going to invest in a 50mm f/2.8 asap!
    In regards getting gigs, when contacting tour managers/promotors, do you say its for a private portfolio/freelance or lie your ass off and try and bluff some manner of press affilation? I am involved with the college paper but they aren't big on gig reviews

theres no 2.8, its 1.8.

my route was a long run, work crew at concerts, get friendly with bookers, then sort you for gigs when you wish... talking to the bookers theyre saying they get 10s of requests every gig, its just no feasable to give out that many passes.

start small

Offer them the shots for the bands site etc. You're not gonna get paid really unless they come to you. It's not big money at all in live music, it's more something you do if it's something you love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

I'd nearly pay to do it! Don't care about the money aspect at all, I'm more concerned with buildiing my portfolio

I'd nearly pay to do it! Don't care about the money aspect at all, I'm more concerned with buildiing my portfolio

thats how we all start... i soon got sick of breaking my back for people who dont value my medium of art enough to pay... i do the odd free thing... only if i really wanna see the band tho. sell yourself short at the start...you'll never make a penny. offer a reasonable rate.... the only way is up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I tend to just take photos of gigs that I'm going to but because they're all small time promoters and venues there is usually no trouble with bringing in a DSLR uninvited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 shockpeter

the worst thing is how easily broken flashes/flashgun and so on get broken in rowdy venues..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I played with music photography for a while and realy enjoyed it. I have used various variations, from cameras that cant handle high iso at all to an average iso with kit lenses, 2.8 and 1.8. I have to say it is easier with the 1.8, I use manual settings always and focus is usually spot on. I have tried flash and non flash, I do believe it depends on the venue and the band whether flash would work but without flash you retain the atmosphere whereas I find with flash often this is washed out.

I have shot gigs at iso 100 up to around 1200, with my d200 I was happy enough to shoot a gig at around 800 max. I have no experience of canon but I would say do not upgrade if you are not going to earn from it.

Try approach up and coming bands, these are the ones who will apreciate your pics, use them and bring you along to a big event when one comes. A band I shoot often enough brought me along to Marley Park for Metallica. It is hard to get into the big gigs, I have sent numerous mails but heard nothing back but I'm at the stage that I am happy enough shooting for my one band and focus more on other areas of photography. I did win a photo pass to Extreme last year so watch out for competitions too.

Advertisement