Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

05,Diesel,Accord-Vibrating when Accelerating

Options
  • 15-09-2009 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

When accelerating in the higher gears. 4,5 there is a shuddering/vibration in the car. Mostly evident when going from lets say 50-65 (not so bad the higher you go) in 5th. Hills etc. make it worst.
    It's a 2.2l so it's not that I'm straining the engine.
    I've recently serviced the car (oil, oil filter, fuel; got wrong air filter so didn't change yet) and it helped but it seems to have gone as bad again.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong are welcome!!!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Jesper wrote: »
    When accelerating in the higher gears. 4,5 there is a shuddering/vibration in the car.

I'll guess Dual Mass Flywheel problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Jesper wrote: »
    Mostly evident when going from lets say 50-65 (not so bad the higher you go) in 5th. Hills etc. make it worst.

i personally think that most cars would shudder if you were going up a hill at 50 km/h in 5th gear. Its not a pulling gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

I'm guessing it's the wrong filter you have on. I've the same car, same year and mine spluttered a bit just before the last service - the filter was manky when I saw it afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Crosshair

I'm guessing that youve caused it when fitting the fuel filter, causing air to be drawn into the fuel system , you probably should have eml light on dash also and code for low fuel pressure, check water drain on filter base and all pipes that have been disturbed during service, did you fill the filter with diesel before refitting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

i personally think that most cars would shudder if you were going up a hill at 50 km/h in 5th gear. Its not a pulling gear.

Presume he meant 50mph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

whats the rpm when the car shudders ? are the revs low ?

On the fuel filter - i thought that modern cars had a breather system to get the air out. I didnt fill my fuel filter with diesel when replacing (haynes didnt mention it either)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

voxpop wrote: »
    whats the rpm when the car shudders ? are the revs low ?

On the fuel filter - i thought that modern cars had a breather system to get the air out. I didnt fill my fuel filter with diesel when replacing (haynes didnt mention it either)

To answer the question. I when accelerating from 50mph and up. this isn't the car struggling in low gears as it can happen on high rev's in 3rd as well. It happens on the flat but can be worst going up hills etc.

The shuttering was there before the filter was changed - it's still there after the change but not as bad. There was a slight air leak in the fuel system when I changed the fuel filter but that's gone now.

The Accord has a hand sqeeze suction pump to fill the fuel filter before changeing. This was done when putting in the new filter.

still no joy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I'd say one of your engine mount bushings is gone. car will only judder when doing low revs in higher gears. Part is normally cheap and can be fitted in minutes. (some cars are more complicated than others but in general its a simple job.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 josty

I had the same problem with my 2004 accord coupe EX, V6, 6M, 120k miles. Had the axles with CV joints replaced yesterday and now it drives like a new car.

Symptoms were:
    - chassis vibration when accelerating, mainly between 50-60 mph.
    - no vibration at steady speed, like 55mph
    - vibration disappeared completely after about 65mph or so.

I had the tires balanced, didn't help. Saw this problem and solution described on some other forums. Seems to be pretty common with the Accords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Any Honda Accord owners, check out this site.

http://www.thaoc.ipbfree.com/

Its the Honda Accords owners club. Some great info on it, including the issue you have.
    http://thaoc.ipbfree.com/index.php?showtopic=1970

• Advertisement
Advertisement