Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whimpering = sign of...??

Options
  • 15-09-2009 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I dont know whats going on with my dog & thought I'd ask for advice first before overreacting & ringing the vet.
    My dog is a bichon frise, female, just over a year old. She was in heat over a month ago and I thought it was over for another 6 months.
    But now Im not too sure whats wrong with her, as the last few nights shes whimpering like crazy, trying to mount anything that moves, keeps taking her favourite toy in her mouth and dropping it, but not wanting to play, very restless, not sleeping through the night. whimpering to be let out but then not needing to pee etc...
    has anyone any ideas what could be wrong?
    Or is this totally natural? :confused:

Thanks for the help,
    Kiya

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sounds like she could be having a phantom pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Phantom pregnancies can maifest in all sorts of weird ways, best get her looked over at the vets. You can stop any risk of these (and also quite a few other things, including pyrmetra) by getting her spayed. If she is having a phantom pregnancy then she could, potentially, have one in each heat cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LauraLoo

she could still be in heat or could be having a phantom pregnancy... the heat can last up to a month generally with a bleed in the 3rd week. have you checked her privates? if she has a discharge then she is in heat which is her most fertile time... dont let her out as she is leaving scent for males and before you know it you'll have every tom dick and harry hanging around your house.

it is usually every six months but every dog is different. my dog used to be every 3-6 months until i got her neutered. tbh i would suggest getting her neutered unless you specifically plan on mating her (which i personally wouldnt recommend as there are enough strays out there).

I left my dog for a few years before i neutered her (mainly because i was 16 when i got her and hadnt got the money) but she developed a lump in her mammory gland due to having so many heats without becoming pregnant. It wasnt a dangerous lump but I still had to pay through the teeth to have it removed. Also, as she got older her mental state was very distressed when she was in heat- she would develop this OCD behaviour (its the only way i could describe it)...

I would recommend keeping her in until it passes (about 4 weeks after symptoms of heat). If she is having a phantom pregnancy then it will fade after a while but there is nothing that can be done..

above all of what i said, if you are really concerned, and your gut is telling you to bring her to the vet then there is no harm in just bringing her for a check up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Hi Kiya,
    Ah poor little Puca! It does sound like a phantom pregnancy. My CKC had one about 3 years before she died. Is she pulling at her bed at all?
    If I was you, I'd bring her to the vet. My CKC got an infection during her PP and needed strong anti biotics to fight it. Probably not the case with Puca though as she is a lot younger and a lot healthier than Cara was. But better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

oh fantastic! :rolleyes:
    i thought it could be something like that but was seriously hoping against it...
    thanks a million guys!

would you believe that I had her booked in to be spayed in July & the night before she went into heat, talk about timing :D
    The vet said to bring her back towards the end of September as it takes a while afterwards for her to go back to normal.
    I just hope this wont affect her being spayed this month.

Yes, shes definitely pulling at her bed, my bed, everything that isn't tacked down shes pulling at,
    I thought she was just trying to have her wicked way with it, but now I suppose its just a nesting thing?

Hi Laura!! :D Púca missed you so much after she stayed with you.
    I'll send you a pm because if you're free I'd love if she could stay with you again?
    x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Defo sounds like a phantom pregnancy.

I've no info about myself but I had to post up cos Púca is a deadly name!

Havn't heard it in years! :D

Hope she's doing better and is fit to be spayed at the end of the month. It might be cutting it close though, some vets won't do it until at least a month or 2 after the heat ends afaik.

Advertisement