Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this true about FF7?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The battle system isn't great though. It adds nothing to the game. The only thing it has going for it is that it isn't so bad that it gets in the way. The game is nicely paced and keeps you wanting to see whats next and the battle system doesn't offer any challenge other than spamming attack for normal enemies that it doesn't get in the way. Only a few bosses require any strategy but they have all been ripped from previous FF games.

As for FFVI having too many random battles, you obviously have been playing the dreadful PS1 version which had horrendous load times. The SNES game is a much different and better experience with no load times between scenes and battles and was much more fluid like Suikoden for example. FFVI is basically a better materia system but with characters that had personality in combat, there were more of them and also 4 player parties compared to 3 in FFVII.

I'm not being that harsh on the game, it's certainly a great game just not the best JRPG, it's not even the best FF game. The battle system is simplistic but never frustrating. Thats a good thing but it would have been better if it was interesting. At least it never descends to the awful depths of Legend of Dragoons battle system. The Storyline is epic and very well paced but when you think about it it's pretty much nonsense once you step out of midgar with some great ideas that were unfortunately wrapped up messily thanks to a nightmare development. It still managed to be very compelling though and really kept you playing til the end. The soundtrack is one of the best written for a game but almost ruined by some rotten sound programming, the SNES FF games sounded better.

Gold chocobo raising was a nightmare. Hated doing chocobo races.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The battle system isn't great though. It adds nothing to the game. The only thing it has going for it is that it isn't so bad that it gets in the way. The game is nicely paced and keeps you wanting to see whats next and the battle system doesn't offer any challenge other than spamming attack for normal enemies that it doesn't get in the way. Only a few bosses require any strategy but they have all been ripped from previous FF games.

I'll be honest, it has been a long time since I last played the game (probably 5 years or so) so I only vaguely remember elements of the system (I recall the materia management screen and the general command interface). I shall hopefully revisit it at some point and be able to judge it with a wider variety of JRPG experiences (as you say, the Persona 3-4 battle system is pure gold - while the standard enemies often come down to rock-paper-scissors esque tactics, the bosses are old school fantastic).
    As for FFVI having too many random battles, you obviously have been playing the dreadful PS1 version which had horrendous load times. The SNES game is a much different and better experience with no load times between scenes and battles and was much more fluid like Suikoden for example. FFVI is basically a better materia system but with characters that had personality in combat, there were more of them and also 4 player parties compared to 3 in FFVII.

Yeah I only have the PS1 version (our house was a Sega house up until PS1, and I finally realised there was more to gaming than mediocre platformers). It is pretty close to unplayable though - I think I got as far as
    some sort of mini apocalypse
    before the constant onslaught of random battles became too much to handle. Oh well, at least it had a FFX demo, which was a big deal at the time (for me anyway - that and the MGS2 demo were serious business).
    I'm not being that harsh on the game, it's certainly a great game just not the best JRPG, it's not even the best FF game. The battle system is simplistic but never frustrating. Thats a good thing but it would have been better if it was interesting. At least it never descends to the awful depths of Legend of Dragoons battle system. The Storyline is epic and very well paced but when you think about it it's pretty much nonsense once you step out of midgar with some great ideas that were unfortunately wrapped up messily thanks to a nightmare development. It still managed to be very compelling though and really kept you playing til the end. The soundtrack is one of the best written for a game but almost ruined by some rotten sound programming, the SNES FF games sounded better.

I've certainly come out of the mindset that FF7 is the best game ever, but I think it will always have that nostalgia factor of being on scale far greater than anything I'd played before. And an awful lot of it holds up still. It may be nonsense, but it is entertaining nonsense :)
    Gold chocobo raising was a nightmare. Hated doing chocobo races.

Yes. Yes it was. The only good thing about it was finally breeding a gold chocobo. When you raced it, it was basically the equivalent of pressing an instant win button. Good for raking in the gil, but it was a long ass slog there. A racing game where you can't even get your vehicle to go in a straight line isn't a good idea.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think Retr0gamer's harsh on the game because a lot of us, including me, give it more praise then it maybe should get from a purely gaming point of view. When i think about FFVII, its definitely with rose tinted glasses. It was what first introduced me to RPG's, and was the first 'blockbuster' of a game that i ever played. Hell, i played the first 6 or 7 hours about 20 times, as i didnt even have a memory card for the PS1 at the time, and i kept dying after meeting Aeris. Still nothing but fond memories, even though thats the kind of thing that would result in a smashed joypad these days.

I still think the remake will happen at some stage. Its too much of an opportunity for Square to build upon an already existing fanbase. Yes, they'd quite possibly wreck it, but i'd still love to see what they could do with it in a modern engine. I'm sure i'll bitch and moan when they do release it though.

I'm also sorry to say that i loved the Legend of Dragoon :P

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Thought FF7 was making a PSP appearance myself when I saw this.(no. 12)

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/171608/the-31-best-psp-games-page-3-of-4/

Doesnt seem to exist though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

gramlab wrote: »
    Thought FF7 was making a PSP appearance myself when I saw this.(no. 12)

http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/171608/the-31-best-psp-games-page-3-of-4/

Doesnt seem to exist though

read the text under it. You can download the psone FFVII from psn to play on your psp.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm also sorry to say that i loved the Legend of Dragoon :P

Liking FFVII: More than acceptable
    Liking Legend of Dragoon: Sick and wrong.

Advertisement