Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good value place to eat somewhere along west coast road?

Options
  • 15-09-2009 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Hi, myself and a group of mates are heading down the west coast from Derrybegs as far as Carrick this weekend, and at some stage we'll need to stop for lunch. Would rather avoid the bog standard chipper, as one of the group can't eat bread or anything with gluten in it - burgers, sausages etc are out. We have all day and can take our time for a leisurely feed, so can anybody recommend any decent cafes or restaurants along the way that won't cost the earth? Anywhere between Gaoth Dobhair and Glenties, really. Go raibh maith agaibh!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Go a wee bit further and try the Nesbitt Arms Hotel in Ardara.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Highlands Hotel in Glenties usually very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Leo's, home of Enya & Clannad beside Crolly, Caislean Oir in Annagry, The Skippers or Lobster Pot in Burtonport.

Dannie Minnies in Annagry is a top class restaurant but would not be open till 7ish at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭mr chips

Cheers folks, plenty of suggestions there and it looks like we'll be able to get somewhere decent wherever we decide to stop on our way down. If you see us give us a wave, we'll be riding trikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

You can have a nice pint in Carrick when you get this far!!

• Advertisement

Oh I might even have two ... :D If the pub has Sky I might ask to watch the second half of the Munster v Cardiff match - if I get my wish I'll be the deranged bloke staring at the screen trying to not shout GWAN THE BULL!! while my mates slowly put more distance between them & me ... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dontom

Hi there,

call in to the "Good Earth Shop" (opposite BOI) in Glenties,
    their cafe caters for gluten free and all sort of things,
    everything is organic and very reasonable.

enjoy your trip !

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, we ended up stopping at Skippers & were well looked after. I was given the biggest swordfish steak I'd ever seen in my life! The run was good but I have to admit it was tough going from Derrybeg down to Dungloe - can still feel the effects of the bumpy roads in my elbows & shoulders! Had a couple of pints in Carrick in the Bridge bar (where I caught the last 20 minutes of the match :D )and later on in the Central, then this morning we went up to Sliabh Liag before heading home.

Advertisement