Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone, yay or nay?

• 15-09-2009 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭

12 month contract with Meteor ends soon and I'm VERY tempted to jump ship and get an iPhone. One of Meteor's new tariff's is tasty too though - 50 squid a month gets you 500 any network minutes and 500 any network texts (and I'd be able to upgrage my handset but obviously not to an iphone!)
    So I'm trying to weigh that deal up with 02's €65 a month iphone tariff (less minutes and texts but a 1GB data allowance). Is the iPhone the way to go. My other half has one and loves it.

Any opinions on which to go for greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Compudaro wrote: »
    12 month contract with Meteor ends soon and I'm VERY tempted to jump ship and get an iPhone. One of Meteor's new tariff's is tasty too though - 50 squid a month gets you 500 any network minutes and 500 any network texts (and I'd be able to upgrage my handset but obviously not to an iphone!)
    So I'm trying to weigh that deal up with 02's €65 a month iphone tariff (less minutes and texts but a 1GB data allowance). Is the iPhone the way to go. My other half has one and loves it.

Any opinions on which to go for greatly appreciated!
    I got the iPhone and I honestly don't think i'll ever go back. The Traiffs in o2 are a major drawback. But that 1GB Data is very handy. There are applications on the iPhone that let you send your webtexts from the phone, so that's an extra 250 texts a month.

Also gotta think it's a great web browser and games device. I've been hooked on a few different word type games and it's great for when yuu're in the loo!

Bottom line I don't think you'll regret the iPhone, but you have to take the hit with the tariff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

NothingMan wrote: »
    There are applications on the iPhone that let you send your webtexts from the phone, so that's an extra 250 texts a month.
    It's worth mentioning that these aren't unique to the iPhone. Cabbage is one such program that works on any phone that supports j2me. It's developed by Sam Vimes from this forum and it's absolutely excellent.

Breezer wrote: »
    It's worth mentioning that these aren't unique to the iPhone. Cabbage is one such program that works on any phone that supports j2me. It's developed by Sam Vimes from this forum and it's absolutely excellent.

I wasn't trying to promote the iPhone over others, just saying that you can compensate a little for the crappy tariff O2 offer with the iPhone.

If he was going to get any other phone, I would say stay well away form O2, but he was asking about the iPhone and O2 in particulars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

Thanks guys, I really don't know what to do. I just realised I can get the 1GB allowance onto the exisitng Meteor Deal (mentioned above) for an extra fiver a month, so €55, if I wanted it. And Cabbage sounds great so thanks for that! For an extra tenner a month(€65 total) it seems I could have the iphone, working with cabbage I'd have buckets of free texts and 350 any network mins (and my 1GB data allowance) Surely that's a reasonably good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Why are O2 Ireland such a rip off compared to O2 UK? In UK it's £35 (approx €38) for 600 mins & 500 texts, in Ireland it's €65 for 350 mins and 150 texts.

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Shop/Phones/iPhone/iPhone+3GS/Pay+monthly

http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/paymonth.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Ok so let me get this straight - you are considering moving to a network that is fast becoming over-loaded due to data useage, and has miserable customer service, to get a phone you'd really like??

If you want the iphone that bad, buy a second-hand unlocked one (plenty on adverts.ie) and stay with meteor - the perceived upfront cost is most definately offset by the better packages you can get with other networks.

With regards to the networks themselves, you've got to work out what you'd use you're phone for - both my flatmates have iphones and never ever use more than 200-odd mb of data. Most browsing/ gaming (and there are some seriously cool games; enigmo, flight control, F.A.S.T, bomberman) happens when they have access to wifi. So if you'd be the same, stay with meteor.
    However if you'd use it as a primary web-browsing device outside of dublin, then meteor is no good as their 3G coverage hasnt stretched very far yet.

Personally, i am currently with meteor. I just got a samsung galaxy (which is like a souped-up google android version of the iphone and hence needs good data), and am considering moving to the 3 network. Their bill plans are v flexible, their data add-on is dirt cheap for 1gb, and they have the best coverage AND customer support. Seriously, email them today and you'll prob get a call back in an hour or 2.

I've digressed a bit.. in short - a 300 - 350 euro unlocked iphone + new meteor plan roughly equals o2's iphone tariff + purchase. Meteor offer better quality of service and support, o2 offer better coverage. 3 offer the best of both (i think, though can't vouch as havent actually moved to them yet!)

edit: one other point is that o2 exclusitivity deal isnt going to last forever, with some sources saying october, so you might want to read / wait and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nay!

I think the iphone is one of the worst things to happen to the phone market in a long time, great when it launched, but still were 3 generation on and the iphone has hardly evolved. It's got an upgrade to 3G on the second generation and now has a 3mp camera that can take video, WOW! Compare the iphones life cycle to that of LG who have been pumping out some serious good phones, the LG viewty launched before the iphone and has evolved with the likes of the LG Arena, Viewty Smart 2 etc. LG are pushing the technology on, apple seem to be surpressing it.

When you looks at some of the handets that nokia, LG and sony ericcson have in the pipeline the iphone looks weak in comparison. Pound for pound the Sony Satio looks like a real contender, 12mp camera and running symbian which has proved a sucess on nokia for a long time with apps galore.

At this stage i'd consider the iphone out of date, crap camera, crap battery life, expnsive to repair, poor call quality, and on a over priced network. There are so many better phones and networks out there.

If you want a protable games machine get a DS or PSP, if you want a great walkman look at the ipod but don't rule out the likes of the sony walkman x series, they really are serious media players.

I've had both generations of iphones, found it crap for my needs, I won't say it wasn't nice to use but there's no way i'd give up my psp or nokia e71. There's nothing the iphone can trump either of them on.

I'm thinking they should change the ducks on the o2 ads to Sheep, it's what i regard the average iphone user as.

As for o2 loosing out on the apple contract, do the other networks really want to start sharing their revenue with apple (vodafone gave apple the 2 fingers), I don't think so, i'd expect it to stay on o2 who seem to be living in an iphone bubble at the moment, hope it last for them but if history tells us anything about bubbles...:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

The iPhone is a lovely piece of equipment imo but as a phone it fails redicilously, bought one last summer and couldnt get used to it so i sold it on, kinda regretted it so i bought another one and the second one only lasted about a month before i got rid of it again because its just damned impossible to text off.

Im using a bog standard nokia now and its sheer joy compared to the iPhone trust me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

For me the iphone is all about the 3rd party apps. If you can get the apps you want on a different phone then go for it. I don't use video, camera or mms so they are not an issue to me. Get a good data plan, I have an unlimited data plan addon which costs €10 and is well worth forking out for, 1GB might not be enough if you are a heavy data user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Id buy one apart from the battery life. They all have them in work and they are constantly hooked up to the plug. The lads say you are talking less than 8hours battery life. I cant live with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Ok so let me get this straight - you are considering moving to a network that is fast becoming over-loaded due to data useage, and has miserable customer service, to get a phone you'd really like??

If you want the iphone that bad, buy a second-hand unlocked one (plenty on adverts.ie) and stay with meteor - the perceived upfront cost is most definately offset by the better packages you can get with other networks.

With regards to the networks themselves, you've got to work out what you'd use you're phone for - both my flatmates have iphones and never ever use more than 200-odd mb of data. Most browsing/ gaming (and there are some seriously cool games; enigmo, flight control, F.A.S.T, bomberman) happens when they have access to wifi. So if you'd be the same, stay with meteor.
    However if you'd use it as a primary web-browsing device outside of dublin, then meteor is no good as their 3G coverage hasnt stretched very far yet.

Personally, i am currently with meteor. I just got a samsung galaxy (which is like a souped-up google android version of the iphone and hence needs good data), and am considering moving to the 3 network. Their bill plans are v flexible, their data add-on is dirt cheap for 1gb, and they have the best coverage AND customer support. Seriously, email them today and you'll prob get a call back in an hour or 2.

I've digressed a bit.. in short - a 300 - 350 euro unlocked iphone + new meteor plan roughly equals o2's iphone tariff + purchase. Meteor offer better quality of service and support, o2 offer better coverage. 3 offer the best of both (i think, though can't vouch as havent actually moved to them yet!)

edit: one other point is that o2 exclusitivity deal isnt going to last forever, with some sources saying october, so you might want to read / wait and see

So let me get this straight;

You're seriously trying to say that O2 has "miserable customer service" and that 3 has "the best customer support"???

You can not be serious??

jordainius wrote: »

You're seriously trying to say that O2 has "miserable customer service" and that 3 has "the best customer support"???

You can not be serious??

I'd say he's serious...

Considering o2 has dropped about 700 outlets recently, every other network bar tesco now have better support than o2 around the country.... there are now more stores to get a 3 phone in than an o2 one..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Get the HTC Hero - just got one myself and its a great phone. Youve got the android app store + its opensource mostly and there is a healthy development of updated and custom roms for the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

i think you should get an ipod touch for your internet, music etc. and a bog standard phone. thats what i have. a bit lumpier in your pocket, but the best of both worlds nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I'd say he's serious...

Considering o2 has dropped about 700 outlets recently, every other network bar tesco now have better support than o2 around the country.... there are now more stores to get a 3 phone in than an o2 one..

With all due respect a pro 3 comment from you or Walkman is hardly all that surprising! I rejoined 3 recently and I do think they are a very underrated network. I am enjoying no longer being ripped off to use data on my phone. And the coverage is WAY better than when I was with them 2 years ago.

However, in terms of customer care they are by far the worst to deal with.

Regarding the iphone, I used one for a while and I fail to see what all the fuss is about. The battery is terrible and the qwerty texting can be a pain. And drunkmonkey is spot on with his/her (sorry, don't know your gender!) first post in this thread, its not even the best touchscreen available at the moment in my opinion.

Also, they are a complete rip off to get on o2 with the draconian iphone price plans.

You can not be serious??

Deadly serious. Ring o2, you get put on the end of a Q. Ring 3, you get through. Just for sh1ts and giggles, try sending both an email right now asking about somehting, i dont know - data costs outside your bundle, and see who gets back to you first.

I got a call a couple days ago about an email i sent o2 THREE WEEKS AGO. Ironically i'd sent the email after sitting on the phone lines for half an hour and thought i'd be quicker getting through with an email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Really tempted to make the iphone move myself. Currently using a Nokia N95 8GB which I really like, but I still have the iphone yearning!

voxpop wrote: »
    Get the HTC Hero - just got one myself and its a great phone. Youve got the android app store + its opensource mostly and there is a healthy development of updated and custom roms for the phone.

I have an android phone too - the market literally gets better everyday. Unfortunately paid apps aren't available in Ireland yet....unless you root your phone..which is not something your standard iphone buyer is looking to do / is capable of doing.

You're falling into the trap im seeing a lot of android fans fall into though - promoting it's customisability (dunno if that's a real word!). iPhone owners and potential iphone owners couldnt care less about that, and it's its simplicity that needs to be promoted if people are to start trying it out!

edit: Besty don't do it! I came from the n95 myself. You'd miss soo much on it! I went with a samsung galaxy cuz it's essentially an n95 in a sleek iphone-like touchscreen body. Best of both worlds!

I'd say he's serious...

I was with 3 before I went to O2 for the iPhone. and although yes 3 has more outlets, whenever you have any enquiries they tell you to call support, who are clearly not based in Ireland and although they were quick to answer, they were not helpful for any of my billing enquiries I ever had.

Can't comment on O2, I have yet to need them, hopefully by the sounds of it I never do.

Also, they are a complete rip off to get on o2 with the draconian iphone price plans.

this isn't a pro 3 comment just an observation:P

for €79pm with 3 Italy, you get a free iphone, 2000 minutes a month, 600 texts and 20GB of interent usage and free mobile TV, it really makes the o2 price plans seem crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭djdunny

Sorry to go off topic but OP dont forget o2 also have an add-on if you take the 65 a month iphone plan. you can have the choice of 4 add-ons, any network evening and weekend calls (starting at 6pm and not 8pm like meteor used to do), any network any time texts, unlimited 02 to 02 calls or unlimited landline calls to ROI & UK landlines. just thought id post this to help your decision. also i recently purchased an iphone (2nd hand) and i love it. i dont think ive put it down since. As some of the guys said, as a phone it does kind of let itself down, you'll either get to grips with the texting or not but the apps are what do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Unfortunately paid apps aren't available in Ireland yet....unless you root your phone..which is not something your standard iphone buyer is looking to do / is capable of doing.
    I guess ive never had an iphone and so dont see what the big deal is with paid apps - there are loads of good free apps. I have a rooted phone and still dont see any paid apps that I actually want.
    You're falling into the trap im seeing a lot of android fans fall into though - promoting it's customisability (dunno if that's a real word!). iPhone owners and potential iphone owners couldnt care less about that, and it's its simplicity that needs to be promoted if people are to start trying it out!
    Yeah maybe your right there - the android phones are great if you want to tinker with your phone. The Hero has a great slick UI also - exactly what iPhone ppl want - shiny niceness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Can't comment on O2, I have yet to need them, hopefully by the sounds of it I never do.
    I don't want to sound like a shill but I have to buck the trend in this thread and give a huge thumbs up to O2's customer support. Easily one of the nicest companies I've ever dealt with. I can only speak from personal experience though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

i had an iphone before, it was really nothing special. i didn't like the interface much either and the touchscreen drove me mad

if you like the iphone go for it but don't bother changing to O2 to get one, there is no need and they will only give you a locked phone

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

kmick wrote: »
    Id buy one apart from the battery life. They all have them in work and they are constantly hooked up to the plug. The lads say you are talking less than 8hours battery life. I cant live with that.

My battery is very good. I dont have it hooked up the laptop whilst in work and i get over 2 days with it. My old Nokia was on the charger every day.

The great thing about it is if u have it plugged into yr laptop to listen to music or whatever it is still charging away even when u are not concerned with charging it.

steps_3314 wrote: »
    My battery is very good. I dont have it hooked up the laptop whilst in work and i get over 2 days with it. My old Nokia was on the charger every day.

If your getting 2 days out of an iphone your a lite user, I couldn't even get a day. If your nokia was on a charger ever day the battery was more than likley kaput.
    not any reason to switch to o2 for an iphone..

If your getting 2 days out of an iphone your a lite user, I couldn't even get a day. If your nokia was on a charger ever day the battery was more than likley kaput.
    not any reason to switch to o2 for an iphone..
    I would be a moderate user and would get a full day easy. However if I had a nokia then I wouldn't be using it to play games or browse the internet and watch a movie and listen to music in the gym, I know you can do these things, but in general iPhone users get a lot more from their phones so of course the battery life will suffer.

I would be a moderate user and would get a full day easy. However if I had a nokia then I wouldn't be using it to play games or browse the internet and watch a movie and listen to music in the gym, I know you can do these things, but in general iPhone users get a lot more from their phones so of course the battery life will suffer.

that's utter rubbish, most modern phones can do everything an iphone can do and more.

Why wouldn't you use a nokia to play games, watch a movie, listen to music. Do you think nokia users are some kind of simpeltons for using a nokia, happy to settle for less, even a sony ericsson, sure what do sony know about portable music, it's not like they invented the walkman or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

even the battery in an iphone doing nothing seems to not last very long. ya know i'd say my poor quality knock off battery in my E51 lasts longer. and even when it runs out i just take it out and put in one of my 2 spare batteries. not so easily done with the iPhone unless you carry a gas powered soldering iron which is altogether too inconvenient, barbaric and unfashionable for the stereotypical "average iPhone user"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

With all due respect a pro 3 comment from you or Walkman is hardly all that surprising! I rejoined 3 recently and I do think they are a very underrated network.

Join 3 best network ever in every respect (I have nothing to base these comments on) ;-)

Advertisement