Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone, yay or nay?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

Dear God, look what I started!!
    Seriously though, thanks for all the advice and opinions.

I've decided to give Apple's workhorse a miss for now and am either gonna upgrade to a new handset with meteor (€55 per month - 500 any network mins, 500 any network texts and 1GB data allowance)
    OR
    I'm tempted by 3's priceplans including Best of Both....

Decisions Decisions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

besty wrote: »
    Really tempted to make the iphone move myself. Currently using a Nokia N95 8GB which I really like, but I still have the iphone yearning!
    +1 ( Dilemma ):o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Compudaro wrote: »
    Dear God, look what I started!!
    Seriously though, thanks for all the advice and opinions.

I've decided to give Apple's workhorse a miss for now and am either gonna upgrade to a new handset with meteor (€55 per month - 500 any network mins, 500 any network texts and 1GB data allowance)
    OR
    I'm tempted by 3's priceplans including Best of Both....

Decisions Decisions...

I'd advice you steer well clear of 3. They're fine if everything runs smoothly for you, but oh my god if you have a problem or want to get your PAC code it will be an absolute nightmare. It took 2 phone calls totalling over 3 hours to get my PAC code when I was perfectly in my rights to do so. Also 3 written letters were also sent along with 3 or 4 more phone calls after the fact due to issues with my account still being active on their system after my PAC was ported to another provider. Do not go with 3 !!

Just my two cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

TinCool wrote: »
    I'd advice you steer well clear of 3. They're fine if everything runs smoothly for you, but oh my god if you have a problem or want to get your PAC code it will be an absolute nightmare. It took 2 phone calls totalling over 3 hours to get my PAC code when I was perfectly in my rights to do so. Also 3 written letters were also sent along with 3 or 4 more phone calls after the fact due to issues with my account still being active on their system after my PAC was ported to another provider. Do not go with 3 !!

Just my two cents.
    PAC code, do you not only need them for the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Walkman wrote: »
    PAC code, do you not only need them for the UK?

No. You need them here also.

• Advertisement

No. You need them here also.

What for? Is it the proper name for an unlock code?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Porting Authorisation Code

deep1 wrote: »
    Porting Authorisation Code
    Then you don't need them here. I have had my number since I was with esat years ago, never needed a number when I ported to meteor, vodafone or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Then you don't need them here. I have had my number since I was with esat years ago, never needed a number when I ported to meteor, vodafone or 3.

i think Other poster meant PUK code rather Pac code,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Never ever heard of anyone looking for a pac in ireland and I've been in the phone business since esat/eircell days....no wonder op had a problem...shud have went into a store they wudn't have been long getting to the root of the issue (1 maybe 2 phone calls to dealer support).....port is a simple thing, can go wrong now and again but usually simple....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, guys can we get back to the topic at hand - slating the iPhone. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What are you using these days Tom?, W995 looks a bit like a rock stars phone...:)

What are you using these days Tom?, W995 looks a bit like a rock stars phone...:)

Still using the iPhone. Until the N900 becomes available in this part of the world......

Strange, got my PUK code from 3 first call, only took a couple of seconds for them to pull it up

Just called again to get PUK code to see how much hassle it would be. Gave him my number, verified password, gave me PUK code, advised me not to enter incorrectly as I only have 10th attempts, advised me to write it down, asked me to call it back to him to ensure I wrote it down correctly. Total call duration 1min 8sec's. Can't see any issue with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Yes, I was referring to PAC (Port Authorization Code). I am based in the UK and I guess 3UK is a different kettle of fish to that of 3IE.

Just called again to get PUK code to see how much hassle it would be. Gave him my number, verified password, gave me PUK code, advised me not to enter incorrectly as I only have 10th attempts, advised me to write it down, asked me to call it back to him to ensure I wrote it down correctly. Total call duration 1min 8sec's. Can't see any issue with that.
    TinCool wrote: »
    Yes, I was referring to PAC (Port Authorization Code). I am based in the UK and I guess 3UK is a different kettle of fish to that of 3IE.

Guys, back on topic.

This is not about 3 and PAC, this is about whether the OP should buy an iPhone.

Thought I better pop back on and help steer this "baby" back on track!

Decided to take some of the earlier advice and stick with Meteor and simply change my tariff. I get the benefit of not having to sign up for another 12/18 months - once my contract ends (in a few days) I'll be on a "rolling" contract with only 30 days notice required to get out!

€55 per month (500 mins & 500 texts + 1GB data allowance)

Only problem is now, which handset to go for and where to buy it?

I could upgrade (anytime) but that implies signing up for another year. According to Meteor they'll have the N97 available next month

OR I could just head for adverts.ie or a shop and buy a SIM-FREE phone.

Suggestions please as to a handset? (I still like the iphone btw, so that's allowed on the list!)

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

besty wrote: »
    Really tempted to make the iphone move myself. Currently using a Nokia N95 8GB which I really like, but I still have the iphone yearning!

Bugger this. Took the plunge. Just picked up the last Black 32GB in Pavillion Swords. Moved to o2 on the €65 p/m option ( €229 for the handset ). The free add-on of unlimited off peak ( from 6pm ) and weekends / b.hols to any network is a winner.

For some reason, you have to wait 2hrs after sign up to actually take the phone from the store. That said, it's gonna be all picture and no sound from her indoors for the next few nights as the Iphone and me will be an item - 100% :D

Revenge for that Big Brother trash that she was glued to for the last 2 months !!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

12 month contract with Meteor ends soon and I'm VERY tempted to jump ship and get an iPhone. One of Meteor's new tariff's is tasty too though - 50 squid a month gets you 500 any network minutes and 500 any network texts (and I'd be able to upgrage my handset but obviously not to an iphone!)
    So I'm trying to weigh that deal up with 02's €65 a month iphone tariff (less minutes and texts but a 1GB data allowance). Is the iPhone the way to go. My other half has one and loves it.

Any opinions on which to go for greatly appreciated!

Worth remembering that for your €65 per month you can opt for the add on that gives you unlimited evening and weekend calls to any Irish number, mobile or landline. That's from 6pm to 8am. Makes it a bit more appealing.
    @ the poster comparing cameras on phones - that's like discussing which rotton banana tastes the best. They're all compromised muck, don't buy into the megapixel hype.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

This should help

help.png

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Guys, back on topic.

This is not about 3 and PAC, this is about whether the OP should buy an iPhone.
    Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Suggestions please as to a handset? (I still like the iphone btw, so that's allowed on the list!)

Go android. And specifically the samsung galaxy. Does everything the iphone does, but better! I discovered mine had a metal detector yesterday! Pointless, but handy for finding keys down the couch.

If you're looking for it for gaming though, the iphone does out-do it. There's only a handfull of games i'd recommend at the moment, since paid applications aren't available in ireland yet - the market (app store) only shows free ones. However that will change this year and there are already some developers like Namco making games for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

How much you pay for the Galaxy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Easy Rider wrote: »
    How much you pay for the Galaxy?

I got mine (new,sealed) on an ebay.de auction for €313, with €18 delivery.

You can get it for €350 on ebay buy it now

or

Get it on ebay.de from a private seller, you just have to find someone that ships europe or worldwide.

It's a bit pricier if you want to get it from the uk.

I do love games so that may well be a dealbreaker! Where's the best place to pick up an unlocked iphone? (that won't break and won't break the bank and that I can have some sort of guarantee/comeback on)

Advertisement