Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorhome insurance- whats needed?

Options
  • 15-09-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering exactly what are the conditions of Motorhome insurance? Do all companies require a garage report? Which is the cheapest company?ANy advice would be appreciated, Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

I think you only need a report if your van is converted or over a certain age,not sure how old though

All the companies are around the same for fully comp,I'm with Dolmens @€;330ish

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

Thanks. I had a look at stuart insurances. I'm 26 and I've had a full licence for two years and a provisional for 3 before that, should I have any problems getting insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

Just a nugget of insurance information that you may find useful in relation to cover outside Ireland.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055570425

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Does driver age, claims etc. make as much a difference as it would with a car? I'm 20, 1 claim for own damage settled (thus no NCB), 2 points, full licence for almost a year. Thinking of getting one (have been for a while but thinking more seriously lately), but anyone got an idea what it'd be setting me back insurance-wise? And am I right in thinking it has to be a second vehicle on a policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Most insurance companies insist the driver is over 25 years of age. In addition I think there's a requirement that you have a car as your primary vehicle. There seems to be very little difference in prices between all the companies, as Aerosol says they're all around €330ish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

The insurance arranged by the campervan club does not require you to have a second vehicle as far as I know.
    Don't know of a way around the age thing however. Worth a call though, let us know how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Better check it out before I get one so. There must be a way around it though, funny how insurance companies are the only people get away with agism and sexism.
    On the plus side, by the time I'm 25 the points will be long gone! :D

Another way would be to do a stealth-conversion (the plan anyway) and insure it as a van. I'd be completely fleaced all-round then though. Anyway thanks lads!

Just thinking, would I get away with motorcaravan VRT/tax etc. and still be able to get commercial van insurance? Or would it just be a case of not telling them I sleep in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

27 Seems to be stuck in my head for some reason,and as far as i know, penalty points matter...............................................b

Advertisement