Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spiders in house, how to keep them away?

Options
  • 15-09-2009 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

We've a huge problem with spiders the house we're renting at the mo... they're huge creatures and I catch one every couple of days.. My fiancee is terrified of them and we've a small baby so at this stage we really need to do something about it..
    Is there an electronic device that deters spiders? I've been trying to research on internet but can't find it...
    Can someone pm me with places where I could find such a device. I'm in Co. Louth.
    Thanks in advance for the help..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Yep. Its called a "hoover":D. Available nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Thanks for the sarcasm.. I'm serious.. It's not really nice seeing a huge spider crawling over our three month old child. No matter how many of them I catch, the place is still overrun..
    Anyone know of the devices I'm actually talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Absolutely no idea if this actually works, Just had a quick google and seen this.

http://www.bestpestcontrol.co.uk/ultrasonic-mouse--spider-repeller-2000-2000-sq-ft--180-sq-mtr-68-p.asp

Might be worth a shot for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Never heard of any electronic device to get rid of spiders with but...

Quote from http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060912022157AA4exty
    two solutions, once they have been removed, spray the house with tea tree oil, then get some moth balls and put them under and around the house. They cannot stand them.
    1. get bottle of tea tree oil( all natural)
    2. get water spray bottle and add water
    3. add 4 drops of tea tree oil to water in bottle
    4. spray all areas of house: vents, air ducts, closets, corners.
    This will not hurt your furniture or paint!!!

Could be worth a shot? Especially with a little one in the house...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Spiders hate the smell of chestnuts. I've heard that if you leave a few on each window sill, spiders won't pass them. I think the betterware catalogue sells a spray with chestnut oils in it for detering spiders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

I've heard the chesnut one too, alright. To be honest, I've no idea why it works, but there is a huge chesnut tree in my garden and we never have spiders!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 64 ✭✭2Poc

I had the same problem in my last house, even down to the spiders near the baby - very disturbing.

We bought these things that plug into the wall - they look like plug in air fresheners. Seemingly they emit something that goes through the wiring in the house to keep spiders away.

To be honest - they didn't work... A spider was even living under the skirting board below one of them...

They are coming out to breed at this time of year which is why everyone is seeing them now. Sorry I don't have a solution for you, when I encounter them now I just catch them & let them go across the road from the house.

I'd say try to find where they are getting in & block it up.
    In my last house the feckers were coming down the chimney!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Simeadrach

I've heard that eucalyptus works too, I'm getting some for an oil burner, so I'll let ye know if that works.

I have a huge problem with em too, only last month I took the hoover to em in the garage, no word of a lie, I got 200 of the buggers with the hoover which I then binned, no way I was changing that bag!!

2Poc wrote: »
    I had the same problem in my last house, even down to the spiders near the baby - very disturbing.

We bought these things that plug into the wall - they look like plug in air fresheners. Seemingly they emit something that goes through the wiring in the house to keep spiders away.

To be honest - they didn't work... A spider was even living under the skirting board below one of them...

Just went to hardware store and forked out €40 on one of those plug in jobs!! we'll see how it goes!

Thanks everyone else for the other advice, hopefully we'll get rid of them trying some of the methods...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

What's the deal with the spiders at the moment....they seem to be everywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Yeah found 3 crawling up the wall in my bedroom since yesterday, tink theyve finally decided to take over.

To the OP: let us know if this product works, could be very helpful. 40 euro is a bit steep tough.

Davie89 wrote: »
    Yeah found 3 crawling up the wall in my bedroom since yesterday, tink theyve finally decided to take over.

To the OP: let us know if this product works, could be very helpful. 40 euro is a bit steep tough.

It's steep but at this stage, my fiancee is ready to start crawling up the walls herself with terror so I'd try anything... I'll post back here in a few days, let ye know how I get on... fingers crossed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

Researched this myself and found testimonies that spiders don't like clove oil. I'm going to try that in my shed because I go in there regularly and as it's a confined space I can't bear the massive spider population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 susannn10

I found a HUGE black fat bodied long legged monster of one in my bathroom two weeks ago, i really can't figure out where it came out of. I'd hoovered that day, had shut the window two hours before i found it. I'm nearly convinced they have magical powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Thanks for the sarcasm.. I'm serious.. It's not really nice seeing a huge spider crawling over our three month old child. No matter how many of them I catch, the place is still overrun..
    Anyone know of the devices I'm actually talking about?[/QUOTE

Not being sarcastic but hoovers do actually work.
    There's also a product available in most hardware stores and some pet stores called the spider catcher, it's got a long handle so you don't have to go near them.

There's also sprays available but you might not want to use that around kids.

Just keep cleaning and hoovering and if you find any open areas around the house where they are getting in block them with the squirty expanding foam stuff for large areas and pollyfilla for smaller areas.

If the problem is severe then your landlord should be told to get pest control in.

Check around the outside of the house as well to see if there are a lot of spiders nests around the outside of the windows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

The deal with spiders right now.. Well the huge ones people see around their houses, is that they are simply male spiders of the genus Tegeneria looking for females to mate with. You'll rarely actually see the females but you can tell it's a male if it's "bloody huge" and has little hooks on the back of its pedipalps (two little front 'leg' things). The pedipalps are also larger in males than females.

I've caught a few and put them in a container with a cricket or two for them to feast on and then sent them back on their merry way in my house. I have crickets for my tarantulas so why not share them.

Those spiders just want some lovin'!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

RaeRae wrote: »
    The deal with spiders right now.. Well the huge ones people see around their houses, is that they are simply male spiders of the genus Tegeneria looking for females to mate with. You'll rarely actually see the females but you can tell it's a male if it's "bloody huge" and has little hooks on the back of its pedipalps (two little front 'leg' things). The pedipalps are also larger in males than females.

I've caught a few and put them in a container with a cricket or two for them to feast on and then sent them back on their merry way in my house. I have crickets for my tarantulas so why not share them.

Those spiders just want some lovin'!

Hey RaeRae,
    Do you fancy coming round to our houses & catching them?
    Seeing as how you like ‘em so much, you could start a rescue centre for spiders!! :P
    I’m totally arachnophobic and don’t want to kill them but I’ve been told that if I just release them back into the wild, their homing instinct tells them to go back into your house = vicious circle.
    You could have the tag line “SOS – Save our spiders” :D

PS GUYS - those electronic devices do NOT work on any pests. Years of experience watching the pest its meant to deter sitting in front of them, taunting me :pac:

My €40 electronic thingy doesn't seem to be doing the job too well.. plugged it in at 6.00. We were out for the evening and when we came back at 11.30, there was a big spider just standing there right in front of the plug-in.. The packaging conviently states that it may take a couple of weeks for it to rid the house of the spiders.. I've my suspicions! I think I'll go on the rampage with a hoover this evening...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭dmy1001

The packaging conviently states that it may take a couple of weeks for it to rid the house of the spiders..

:):):) thats classic!!!! is it not only for the few weeks of mating every year that they are all over the place????

saying that i would not notice as i have no problem with them!

back to the trusty hoover methinks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ozzirt

The answer is simple, try to encourage them to breed or find someone who will pay you big money for them,... they'll all sicken and die, and leave you heartbroken.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

squirty expanding foam stuff

lol :D

We bought an electronic device but it doesnt seem to be working at all. In the last 3/4 years we've got monsters into the house, as big as the palm of my hand. They actually make noise going across the wooden floor.

They scare the pants off me but I'm not a fan of the little ones anyway! :o I can't even go near them to kill them of hoover them, sure they will just crawl out of the hoover won't they?! I'd love to know how to get rid of them once and for all, its always around this time of year they appear. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

Kiya wrote: »
    Hey RaeRae,
    Do you fancy coming round to our houses & catching them?
    Seeing as how you like ‘em so much, you could start a rescue centre for spiders!! :P
    I’m totally arachnophobic and don’t want to kill them but I’ve been told that if I just release them back into the wild, their homing instinct tells them to go back into your house = vicious circle.
    You could have the tag line “SOS – Save our spiders” :D

PS GUYS - those electronic devices do NOT work on any pests. Years of experience watching the pest its meant to deter sitting in front of them, taunting me :pac:

Nah, I think you're alright there. You can keep your spiders. I never really put them outside. I just let em go behind a cupboard somewhere or in a spare room. They disappear fairly quick, haha.

I don't think spiders have hominh instincts =P

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

asaik having spiders means you don't have any mice because if you did they would all be eaten, (probably goes the same for even bigger spiders, count yourself luck you don't have them either!!)

Good auld hoover works the best imo
    As for those electro things, good as far as keeping rodents away but like tits on a bull for keeping insects away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

This time of year, house spiders go roaming for a mate. Those big uns are in your house all year round - they just hide a lot. During mating season they go questing, and that's why you're seeing them everywhere.

I'm arachnaphobic - I have a physical reaction that I cannot control when I see a spider. My hair stands on end, I get goosebumps, I get shivers and a persistent feeling of nausea. However, I moved to Australia so I had to get over THAT quick sharp :D

See if your missus will take some sort of spider-conditioning therapy - hypnotism or the arachnaphobe training some zoos do. If you can manage to get the vaccum cleaner out and do away with them, it's a lot easier being arachnaphobic, rather than having to wait for himself to come home from work to deal with it.

I've encouraged my cats to defend me, and Eric gets such an adrenalin rush out of it, he'll go up the wall and make it two or three feet across the ceiling if he sees a spider up there...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

It could be complete crap but I heard that they come in this time of year because of the cold weather outside and its a bit warmer in houses.

We don't have an infestation in our house or anything but we're noticing alot more. Has the chestnut thing (putting a chestnut on each window sill) worked for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

asaik having spiders means you don't have any mice because if you did they would all be eaten,

I've lived in student diggs and we had both. I got used to spiders but hearing a mouse run across your bedroom floor in the middle of the night is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I'd prefer mice! :(

lol

Just an update on the lack of success of my electronic pest control device..
    it's completely rubbish, there's just as many spiders wandering about now as before.. don't bother buying one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Ugh, this time of year we are inundated with them too. I used to be terribly afraid of them, but now I just catch them with a glass and put them outside. Each time I catch one, I feel less anxious about them, although I do dislike their scuttly motion. And our shed where the cats sleep is ridiculous at this time of year, hundreds of them up in the eaves. Every night when I feed the cats I am CONVINCED one of them is going to drop down the back of my shirt or land on me. Trust me, if that ever happens I will surpass Usain Bolt's speed bolting fromt the shed to the house.

• Advertisement

Davie89 wrote: »

Hi, just an update...

We've been spider free now for 5 days... it could be that my electronic gizmo has drove them all out, I might've wiped out the entire population with my hoover or maybe it's just that mating season is over and they've packed up for the winter...

In any case, we're happy the f£$%&*s are finally gone..

Advertisement