Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now you have a resposobility to vote no!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Now you have a resposobility to vote no!

You have a responsibility to not post BS in an attempt to further your own political goals.

If Sweden wants to be further exiled form the EU, go for it. I really don't care.

Please outline your reasons for thinking the EU works like the old Soviet Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

turgon wrote: »
    This is great. I remember an "Italian" here, and a "Polish" person too I think, all demanding the same thing. However at least the "Italian" and the "Pole" made an attempt to write poor English so as to give credence to their supposed identity.

+1, strikes me as very similar to the comments section of http://www.bringganleyback.com, they seem to enjoy peddling this myth that people across Europe are behind the anti-Lisbon agenda, including bizarrely, Oleksiy from the Ukraine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Jocke wrote: »
    It's because foreigners want you to vote no. I hope that you will vote for the people!

What about Spain, who voted Yes to the constitution? Should I listen to them instead of you?

I hope that you will vote for the people!

I will vote for myself Olaf. Seems to me to be a tad 'soviet' to vote against my own wishes "for the good of the people"...

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Funny as well how weve never had any foreigners come on here and tell us we have a responsibility to Vote Yes.

well i am advocating a yes vote and i'm slovakian, but i live here for 5 years...so i'm looking out for irish and european interests:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Jocke

You have a responsibility to not post BS in an attempt to further your own political goals.

If Sweden wants to be further exiled form the EU, go for it. I really don't care.

Please outline your reasons for thinking the EU works like the old Soviet Union.
    I think that the main reason is that a few people are deciding very much.
    To sum up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM2Ql3wOGcU

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The weakest of all forms of the 'argument from authority' is the Youtube version.

What about Spain, who voted Yes to the constitution? Should I listen to them instead of you?
    You should listen to the whole of Europe and therefore, you should wait until all countries have had referendums until you vote yes.

Mario007 wrote: »
    well i am advocating a yes vote and i'm slovakian, but i live here for 5 years...so i'm looking out for irish and european interests:D

All the more apt coming from a nation which suffered under the shadow of the Soviet Union/Warsaw Pact Bloc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Maybe we should get Boards to design a plugin that automatically adds a poster to your ignore list if they claim the EU is the new Soviet Union.

• Advertisement

One of my main points is that even if you LIKE the Lisbon Treaty, you should vote NO for the sake of DEMOCRACY.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

I know what it means but the commission may consist of evil liars and stalin lovers also.

haha so all 27 states will nominate stalin lovers and evil people. and the EP will approve of all of them...i'd like to assure you libertas were defeated so no, this scenario wont happen:D

One of my main points is that even if you LIKE the Lisbon Treaty, you should vote NO for the sake of DEMOCRACY.

:confused: Say what now? How is voting against something I am personally in favour of... promoting democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Galwaybuzz

Hi Guys.

Here are my top 3 reasons as to why I'm voting YES to the Lisbon Treaty!

I want an Irish Commissioner. With the Lisbon Treaty in force, this is guaranteed. With the Nice Treaty in force, it is not.

I value my rights. Dignity, liberty, equ...ality, solidarity and justice are the cornerstones of European civilisation and are enshrined in the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights. The Lisbon Treaty makes the Charter binding and part of EU law

I want ordinary people to have a greater say in the running of the EU. For the first time ever, through the new Citizens' initiative, the Lisbon Treaty makes it possible for a million European citizens to demand that the EU institutions consider a new piece of legislation. (TEU, Art. 11.4)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Bullshit like this will only drive people to vote Yes, along with the UKIP getting involved and the entire Coir campaign. Leave us to it

Can a mod confirm that this guy is in fact posting from Sweden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

prinz wrote: »
    :confused: Say what now? How is voting against something I am personally in favour of... promoting democracy.
    Because everybody aren't allowed to vote. That is unfair and undemocratic. That's why you shouldn't approve the treaty, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Because everybody aren't allowed to vote. That is unfair and undemocratic. That's why you shouldn't approve of the treaty, I think.

That has NOTHING!! to do with the EU. That is down to each country. You don't get a vote because the Swedish Government don't have to!

And they're right too, you're advocating a no vote for the most stupid reasons.

Because everybody aren't allowed to vote. That is unfair and undemocratic. That's why you shouldn't approve of the treaty, I think.

That's not my problem, or Ireland's problem. That's Sweden's problem. Whether I vote for or against the Lisbon Treaty, what effect will that have on national/constitutional law in Sweden - none.

Dinner wrote: »
    That has NOTHING!! to do with the EU. That is down to each country. You don't get a vote because the Swedish Government don't have to!

And they're right too, you're advocating a no vote for the most stupid reasons.
    Of course it is up to every country but I think that the EU should demand all countries to hold referendums.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Because everybody aren't allowed to vote. That is unfair and undemocratic. That's why you shouldn't approve the treaty, I think.

Voting Yes or No won't change that at all for you.

Of course it is up to every country but I think that the EU should demand all countries to hold referendums.

The EU can't do that. Do you want to give the EU more power over your country now?

prinz wrote: »
    That's not my problem, or Ireland's problem. That's Sweden's problem. Whether I vote for or against the Lisbon Treaty, what effect will that have on national/constitutional law in Sweden - none.
    And the genocide in Darfur is not our problem so we shouldn't care anything about that either?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

You want the EU to get involved in the ratification procedure of each country?

Sort of goes against your claims that you want each country to be independent and not part of a soviet EU.

Also, it's worth noting that the EU isn't some third party entity. The EU is the countries and the countries are the EU. What you want is that the member countries demand that themselves must have a referendum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

And the genocide in Darfur is not our problem so we shouldn't care anything about that either?

EU cant do anything much about that (no matter how much we care) they just don't have the mandate

since there is no common Foreign Policy

something that will be introduced by Lisbon

so as per your own example yet another reason to vote YES

if you want issues like Darfur to be addressed by the EU

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    EU cant do anything much about that (no matter how much we care) they just don't have the mandate

since there is no common Foreign Policy

something that will be introduced by Lisbon

so as per your own example yet another reason to vote YES

if you want issues like Darfur to be addressed by the EU
    I didn't mean the EU when I said "we".

Dinner wrote: »
    You want the EU to get involved in the ratification procedure of each country?
    I want the EU to demand referendums in all countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Galwaybuzz wrote: »
    Hi Guys.

Here are my top 3 reasons as to why I'm voting YES to the Lisbon Treaty!

I want an Irish Commissioner. With the Lisbon Treaty in force, this is guaranteed. With the Nice Treaty in force, it is not.

im voting YES too (and im from Galway too :D) but i have to break it to you

the commissioner is not Irish, they represent all of EU

but yes the commission would be reduced with a NO vote as per Nice

The EU can't do that. Do you want to give the EU more power over your country now?
    I mean that the EU shouldn't impose a new constitution on people in countries that didn't have referendums.

If a country says no to a referendum, then the EU should NOT impose a constitution on that country.

• Advertisement

I mean that the EU shouldn't impose a new constitution on people in countries that didn't have referendums.

If a country says no to a referendum, then the EU should NOT impose a constitution on that country.

It's not imposing. It asked your government. They said yes. You elected them to represent you. This is how democracy works. If a referendum was needed for everything Europe does we'd be all day in the polling booths every day.

If you don't want your government to have that power you have to change how your government works, not the EU.

Advertisement