Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now you have a resposobility to vote no!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Jocke wrote: »
    You should listen to the whole of Europe and therefore, you should wait until all countries have had referendums until you vote yes.

Why do we have to go last? Doen't sound fair that we have to wait for everyother country to have a referendum before we are allowed to vote yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I want the EU to demand referendums in all countries.

You want the leaders of each country to demand that themselves and each other have a referendum?

In most cases if they wanted a referendum they could have one. But I think most countries aren't having a referendum because of people like you who will vote no for stupid reasons and throw words like soviet and nazi around without being able to make a coherent argument for it. And rightfully so, you would make a mockery of democracy by ignoring facts and voting on your own paranoia instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I think Ireland should vote on abolishing the Swedish monarchy. Given our new role as decision makers for the legal and politcal systems of other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

I want the EU to demand referendums in all countries.

I want EU to demand everyone to readup on things they vote on (if they vote on them) and to stop interfering in others peoples business

and sure while we at it why dont you demand that they EU ensures

* all bananas are straight
    * and everyone gets microchiped

you sir have a complete lack of understanding of how the EU works, maybe its a good thing you dont get to vote so! :D

people like you would vote likes of Hitler in (and have done so in past) based on ignorance and selfishness

shame on you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Jocke

Dinner wrote: »
    In most cases if they wanted a referendum they could have one. But I think most countries aren't having a referendum because of people like you who will vote no for stupid reasons and throw words like soviet and nazi around without being able to make a coherent argument for it. And rightfully so, you would make a mockery of democracy by ignoring facts and voting on your own paranoia instead.
    In short: "We shouldn't have a referendum because then the people may vote no instead of yes which is the right thing to do".

I don't fall for this Hitler/Stalin/Polpot crap. It's undemocratic EU nationalism!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    [...] maybe its a good thing you dont get to vote so! :D

people like you would vote likes of Hitler in (and have done so in past) based on ignorance and selfishness

shame on you

Wow that's rich.. you're calling him ignorant and selfish and at the same time you say it's good that he doesn't get to vote.. just because his reasons are different to yours

Cop on to yourself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

In short: "We shouldn't have a referendum because then the people may vote no instead of yes which is the right thing to do".

I don't fall for this Hitler/Stalin/Polpot crap. It's undemocratic EU nationalism!

In short you won't have a referendum because your government is not required to. Ours is. It's in our constitution. If you don't like your constitution then change it (you'll need a referendum for that).

I can't understand this sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ok OP, you've got my vote.

prinz wrote: »
    I think Ireland should vote on abolishing the Swedish monarchy. Given our new role as decision makers for the legal and politcal systems of other countries.

I demand the EU makes Sweden send all their blondes over :D

• Advertisement

In short you won't have a referendum because your government is not required to. Ours is. It's in our constitution. If you don't like your constitution then change it (you'll need a referendum for that).
    The Lisbon Treaty is illegal under our constitution! It should probably more clear and changed though and yes, I will try to change it. You don't have to tell me that!!

The Lisbon Treaty is illegal under our constitution!

How and why? Honest question. I know nothing about your constitution. You obviously do though so can you clarify.
    Note: Because you don't like it is not an answer.

Edit: If it's illegal under your constitution and your government have approved it how are they still in power. The government can't just do what they want. Or is it different in Sweden?

I can't understand this sentence.

a little bit of a history lesson for you so

Nazis used referendums to gain power

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_referendum,_1933
    Held on the same day as the November 1933 Elections, the referendum was designed to gauge public approval and support for Hitler's decision to withdraw Germany from the League of Nations and the Disarmament Conference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_referendum,_1934
    Held on August 19, after the death of President von Hindenburg on August 2, the 1934 German referendum sought to gain approval for Adolf Hitler's assumption of supreme leadership. The overwhelmingly positive result of this referendum allowed Hitler to claim public support for his activities as the Fuhrer. In fact, he had assumed these offices and powers immediately upon von Hindenburg's death and used the referendum to legitimate this move.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anschluss

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stimmzettel-Anschluss.jpg

Wow that's rich.. you're calling him ignorant and selfish and at the same time you say it's good that he doesn't get to vote.. just because his reasons are different to yours

Cop on to yourself

you obviously missed the joke :rolleyes:

with this guy "demanding" things from EU

but not knowing what the EU is about and how it works

do i really have to explain jokes now?

Yeah, I know all that. I just didn't understand what "vote likes" meant.

I know what it means but the commission may consist of evil liars and stalin lovers also.

I didn't realise the Stalinist Soviet Union was founded on nationalism.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The Lisbon Treaty is illegal under our constitution! It should probably more clear and changed though and yes, I will try to change it. You don't have to tell me that!!

So if we vote no does that mean that Sweeden will establish a system of courts where stuff like this can be challenged by its people? :rolleyes:

prinz wrote: »
    I didn't realise the Stalinist Soviet Union was founded on nationalism.
    and I didn't say so

and I didn't say so

well which is it then? Is it big bad EU based on stalin lovers who wants the Soviet Union of Europe, or is it big bad EU based on nationalism?

Now I've got to go.

Bless the Irish people! Bless all people in the European Union! Say no to Stalin, Hitler and Mussolini. Say no to the Lisbon Treaty and say yes to democracy!

Cya!

• Advertisement

Well he was a polite enough fella anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Now I've got to go.

Bless the Irish people! Bless all people in the European Union! Say no to Stalin, Hitler and Mussolini. Say no to the Lisbon Treaty and say yes to democracy!

Cya!

Thats embarrassing no propaganda right there.

A lot of the No sides arguments are so bad I'm starting to think it might be the Yes side making them up to turn people against the No side heh.

It's working.

Well he was a polite enough fella anyway.

yeh god bless him

i think he just highlighted a fundamental problem in EU, people dont know much about how it works and that breeds paranoia and conspiracies

now we just sit back and wait for another one of them threads in a day or so

cant wait till someone from UK comes along and tells us how to vote (oh wait)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Say no to Stalin, Hitler and Mussolini.

They're all dead.

I didn't know them, but I would be hard pressed to imagine any of them agreeing with the charter of fundamental rights...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Jocke, är du verkligen från Sverige eller har du bara använder Google språkverktyg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Say Nein to Hitler.

Otherwise he won't understand.

Rb wrote: »
    Say Nein to Hitler.

Otherwise he won't understand.

he sure made it hard to vote NO

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Stimmzettel-Anschluss.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

cant wait till someone from UK comes along and tells us how to vote (oh wait)

I want to book a front row seat for this with popcorn in hand if it happens here hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

So who's up for being 'Helga the shepherd girl from Austria' who wants a No Vote?
    I'll be Dario from Sicily at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

They're all dead.

I didn't know them, but I would be hard pressed to imagine any of them agreeing with the charter of fundamental rights...

Or a more powerful parliament...

Advertisement