Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now you have a resposobility to vote no!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

My other half is Aussie. We got a polling card for her on the last local elections. We've no idea how she got on the register. Probably PPS number. Not complaining though. Before that I thought she'd have to be a citizen too.

yeh that register is funny, ive known people under 18 to endup on it :eek:

citizens information people are quite good at explaining these things

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/government-in-ireland/elections-and-referenda/voting/registering-to-vote
    Who can vote in elections and referenda?
    The type of election you can vote in depends on your citizenship.The following people are eligible to vote:

Irish citizens can vote in every election and referendum
    British citizens may vote at Dáil, European and local elections
    Other EU citizens may vote at European and local elections
    Non-EU citizens can vote at local elections only.

To be eligible to be included on the Register of Electors, you must:

Be at least 18 years old on the day the Register comes into force (15 February)
    Have been ordinarily resident in the State on 1 September in the year preceding the coming into force of the Register.
    You are eligible for inclusion in the supplement to the Register of Electors on or after the day on which you reach 18 years of age. You can be included if this birthday falls after the closing date for applications but is on or before polling day. If you are within this category, you should accompany your application with a copy of your birth certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Omagh was the straw that broke the camel's back and as I was entitled to have either Irish or British citizenship I chose to take up the latter. I still love Ireland (in many ways) and try to be a good citizen here but this does not extend to not having a lash at the EU at every opportunity! I have never voted twice despite the extra polling cards and have informed the authorities of the problem.

It's none of my business but why would the Omagh bombing make you renounce your Irish citizenship? What a small bunch of scum do isn't reflective of everyone else. You can go to Germany and find neo-Nazis who don't seem to have learned a damn thing from what happened there over 60 years ago, but the vast majority of Germans, I find, are very decent people.

I haven't seen you post a single reason for wanting to vote No that seems to have anything in reality to do with the Lisbon treaty. I haven't seen any logical reasons why you seem to hate the EU so much. In your position I'd take a long look at why I was pointing the finger at things that don't seem to have anything to do the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

This link shows the current - I think - Irish polling card and it is how I remember it from the last local and Euro elections. Nowhere on it does it make mention of eligibility to vote in specific elections/referenda etc and, as I said, I only found out by accident. If I had known this was the position all along chances are I would have pursued my local TD about the matter as I do about many other issues.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/171218/90973.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Omagh was the straw that broke the camel's back and as I was entitled to have either Irish or British citizenship I chose to take up the latter. I still love Ireland (in many ways) and try to be a good citizen here but this does not extend to not having a lash at the EU at every opportunity! I have never voted twice despite the extra polling cards and have informed the authorities of the problem

Oh stop being such a drama queen about it. You quit your Irish citizenship, ok-doke then. .

If you are not supposed to vote in this coming referendum then you should not vote in this coming referendum. You have forfeited your right to partake in it and if you go ahead, you are complicit in fraudulent voting.
    Well done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Justind wrote: »
    Oh stop being such a drama queen about it. You quit your Irish citizenship, ok-doke then. .

+100 to that.

If you (Judgement Day) don't want to be a citizen, then great. You've given up the benefits of being a citizen. It was your decision, live with it.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Justind wrote: »
    You have forfeited your right to partake in it and if you go ahead, you are complicit in fraudulent voting.
    Absolutely. I'm curious as to how Judgement Day feels about ballot stuffing? Presumably he's OK with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Absolutely. I'm curious as to how Judgement Day feels about ballot stuffing? Presumably he's OK with it.

The usual attitude of those with flexible consciences is that it is OK provided that the extra ballots are on their side of the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

I dont think youre going to endear yourself to anyone here demanding that we Irish have some sort of responsibility to vote No just to suit other country's interests. That fact that you use the term 'democracy' in relation to the above is also a little ironic.

We are voting for the interests of IRELAND, as prescribed in our Constitution which has allowed us to vote on Lisbon in the first place, not on the pretences of protest or whatever suits your agenda as an individual.

Haha... you are voting so that integration into Europe is greatly increased and then you all think that another EU citizen from another EU country has no right to comment over here on our vote, which affects us, them and you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Toiletroll wrote: »
    Haha... you are voting so that integration into Europe is greatly increased and then you all think that another EU citizen from another EU country has no right to comment over here on our vote, which affects us, them and you.

theres a fine line between commenting and telling us how to vote

the OP crossed that

and showed complete lack of knowledge of how the EU works

oscarBravo wrote: »

In my post #112 I stated '..I have never voted twice despite the extra polling cards and have informed the authorities of the problem.

So you can take it that I don't agree with ballot stuffing. Going back to a previous point, I just feel that it is idiotic to have no mention of eligibility to vote on the polling card. The first Lisbon treaty vote I accidentally heard on the radio that I wasn't entitled to vote. I am not in the least bit worried about being caught - I think the odds on winning the €100 million in this weekend's Euro Lottery would be less. Anyway by the time all the federalists have their way we will all soon enough be voting together again or not as the case may be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

In my post #112 I stated '..I have never voted twice despite the extra polling cards and have informed the authorities of the problem.

So you can take it that I don't agree with ballot stuffing. Going back to a previous point, I just feel that it is idiotic to have no mention of eligibility to vote on the polling card. The first Lisbon treaty vote I accidentally heard on the radio that I wasn't entitled to vote. I am not in the least bit worried about being caught - I think the odds on winning the €100 million in this weekend's Euro Lottery would be less. Anyway by the time all the federalists have their way we will all soon enough be voting together again or not as the case may be.

Luckly the federalists are in such a minority then. In any case any future integration may well may not be an issue for you in a couple of years as 41% of your fellow British citizens are not even in favour of remaining in the EEA let alone the EU.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/the_daily_politics/7949104.stm

At the very least the Tories will hold a referendum on the Lisbon treaty even post ratification, and it is certainly not impossible it may be a referendum on even more than that.

Well marco polo thanks for that link, you have brightened up my evening considerably. Despite being a British citizen I live here and apart from an interest in British Rugby, Cricket and the future of the UK (Scottish Independence) I spend very little time monitoring British public opinion and was not aware of this survey. I don't read British newspapers or watch British TV . I think you are mistaken about federalists and those who are not already well down that road will be brow beaten into it by the usual threats of 'we have to be at the heart of Europe' and 'if we vote no we will be left behind on the bottom rung of a two tier Europe'....etc.etc. and, of course, not forgetting the ever present threat of hell fire, brimstone and plagues of locusts. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Toiletroll wrote: »

So you'd buy into all that UKIP has to say about the Irish and Lisbon then?

You are deluding yourself if you think any of these people actually give a **** about the sole interests of Ireland, independent of any wider political agenda.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Well marco polo thanks for that link, you have brightened up my evening considerably. Despite being a British citizen I live here and apart from an interest in British Rugby, Cricket and the future of the UK (Scottish Independence) I spend very little time monitoring British public opinion and was not aware of this survey. I don't read British newspapers or watch British TV . I think you are mistaken about federalists and those who are not already well down that road will be brow beaten into it by the usual threats of 'we have to be at the heart of Europe' and 'if we vote no we will be left behind on the bottom rung of a two tier Europe'....etc.etc. and, of course, not forgetting the ever present threat of hell fire, brimstone and plagues of locusts. :D

I was almost convinced, until I tried to think of even one EU member state who would be in favour of such a European state, or anything in the treaty that was a real move towards a federalist state. The addition of limited extra legislative powers in the areas of Energy, Space Exploration, Tourism and Sport after a full eight years of negotiations does not immediately strike me as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

As far as I know we can't afford the plagues of locusts this time - it's 'mild outbreaks of locusts'. Could do you something a bit more plaguey with either woodlice or earwigs, though.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement