Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of Focus & Off Topic MkII...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Photographer gets in the way of tigers shot.

500x_tiger-woods-ball-camera.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I downloaded the Pocket Light Meter app the other day and it seemed ok. Just now there was an update and it now seems very functional. You can select Aperture Speed and ISO in third, half or full stops. You can lock any of the values. There's an EV offset too.

Best of all is that it's a freebie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Borderfox wrote: »

classy ;) you gotta love their tactful use of mono and not to mention the liquidify tool lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,230 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

that dog eating the icecream was my find

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I dont know why I feel I need to share this but this week I am closing my 'studio', inverted commas because it is a 12ft x 7ft space in an indoor market, but my little place all the same.

I'm kinda sad about it, I will miss the hustle and bustle and all the craic but sure these things happen, market is quiet, the lads with the big stock are even finding things hard now so me selling pics in the corner isnt making much. I was asked to find another photographer to go in there but honestly I wouldnt recommend it to anyone so dont know what will go in there after me. I have my weddings and that to pull me through but it wouldnt be worthwhile otherwise.

So, now that I will be moving away from kiddie portraits for a while I have a few burlesque shoots lined up, weddings as always and whatever else comes in too, I feel sad about leaving the regulars, the buddies I made in there but I know it is the best decision, oh what will I do when I am not photographing every week..... ah sure next week i will have my first weekend off all year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Sorry to hear that Rachel. As you probably know, even the really well established studios are finding it very difficult at the moment, so it is quite likely that you are making the right decision - at least for the present economic circumstances; plus when you can rent a fully equipped studio by the hour it probably makes little sense to have dedicated studio space in what may be a suppressed/depressed market.

Chin up. Tomorrow's another day.

Thanks Tommy, Im not too disappointed, I mean I could hang on in there for longer but what is the point when I enjoy weddings more and do little work there, most of the others in there are older and dont have little kiddies at home waiting for them so on the days its quiet all I want to do is go home to the kids.

Hopefully this time next year Ill have a place that is more what I want, its been a great experience, seeing peoples expectations etc, haha, listening to people arguing over the price of a €15 print or a €90 canvas, lol one told me today sure I can get a canvas in reeds for 60, I was just like, ok, Reeds arent photographers....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Rachel, its a real pity things have to change but I am sure you will have punters coming to you and asking for photos, past customers and others who have heard of you from your previous clients. Those kids today will be parents in the not too distant future :D
    Best of luck in the future with your photography skills and enjoy any free time you have too.

• Advertisement

Rach, best of luck with things.

Sorry to hear that

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I have no doubt you will land on your feet Rach, your work seems to adhere to Moore's law

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Rachel, sorry to hear you're giving up your wee space, but surely better things will follow!

Also: My inner nerd is exploding with happyness:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056055425

I have no doubt you will land on your feet Rach, your work seems to adhere to Moore's law

prob a stupid question but what is Moores law:o

Ah Im not worried, my profits are better without the place, I was asked to get another photog in there, if anyone wants to its there let me know but I dont recommend it.

I was really looking forward to having a weekend off, havent had one since the start of January, but today I took bookings for next weekend and a wedding for 2 weeks away so will be waiting another few weeks for a weekend off.:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

The observation made in 1965 by Gordon Moore, co-founder of Intel, that the number of transistors per square inch on integrated circuits had doubled every year since the integrated circuit was invented. Moore predicted that this trend would continue for the foreseeable future. In subsequent years, the pace slowed down a bit, but data density has doubled approximately every 18 months, and this is the current definition of Moore's Law, which Moore himself has blessed. Most experts, including Moore himself, expect Moore's Law to hold for at least another two decades.

your photos keep getting better basically

The observation made in 1965 by Gordon Moore, co-founder of Intel, that the number of transistors per square inch on integrated circuits had doubled every year since the integrated circuit was invented. Moore predicted that this trend would continue for the foreseeable future. In subsequent years, the pace slowed down a bit, but data density has doubled approximately every 18 months, and this is the current definition of Moore's Law, which Moore himself has blessed. Most experts, including Moore himself, expect Moore's Law to hold for at least another two decades.

your photos keep getting better basically

Aww thanks mele.

I wasnt fishing there I swear, just had a blonde moment. Im kinda glad Im saying goodbye to the market, I mean I am not really entirely sure if child photography is for me, I enjoy the adult interaction of weddings so much more so, if it wasnt meant to be there is probably reason for it. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Deal on citydeal at the moment - but has anyone used these guys? Free DHL delivery too - so could be a handy present!
    http://www.citydeal.ie/in/.jKpiyF/,107833?nlp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am sorry to hear that, Rachel. Use the time to look around (e.g. US) to find what would you could offer to your customers. Good luck and I hope you'll be more busy as ever soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Post of the day on boards and also why you shouldn't do the self portrait thing

:)

• Advertisement

Thanks Thonda.

No I am happy, I finished today, I was run off my feet all day to be honest, but everyone knew I was finishing so thats prob why. No I should be putting all that effort into getting the bigger jobs, I took in a wedding and a christening last night through facebook for this month so I'm happy bunny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

There's nowt as queer as folk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Tallon wrote: »
    228497-10102010103246pm.png
    I call photoshopped. Background graffiti is the same but foreground graffiti differs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Jackobyte - look at the tree in the background. It was taken from another point of view, more to the right. Therefore the foreground is in different position to the background. I call it street art, not a forgery.

70 Gigapixel Image taken with two Sony A900 cameras with 400mm Lenses plus 1.4 TC's

Where do I keep finding this awesome stuff? :p

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=15596222

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

love his stuff :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I've just watched the first 10 seconds of it and already I can tell it's class... ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement