Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Common misconceptions universally accepted

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I'm aware of that; I just don't think many people consider evolution as an explanation for life's origins, so I wouldn't deem it a 'common misconception' as such. I could be wrong, maybe they do.

I think I would have to disagree with you there. I can't back it up, but I have a feeling that if you asked some random, non-science/skeptic people where life came from, then they would probably answer with either - "The big bang", "Evolution" or "God". I have personally heard quite a few people claim the latter two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Bogart never said 'Play it again Sam' what he actually said was 'if she can stand it, I can. Play it'

Marie Antoinette actually said 'let them eat bread' not cake

and 'you dirty rat' was never said by James Cagney in any of his films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

more due to not understanding the question than anything else

i dont think anyone believes life began with evolution, just that its how the changes are accounted for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Wazdakka wrote: »
    orestes??
    :eek:

HA!

:pac:

Quiet you or you'll get the hose again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Quote from the second study:
    "We would certainly not encourage people to start taking vitamin C supplements based on the findings of this research."
    They say it's a small study.
    And the first one only gives a relative risk, it doesn't say many people's gout improved.

Have you got the original references?

Most research does indeed show that Vitamin C doesn't give any appreciable benefit

Im no scientist but watch a lot of documentaries on science nutrition etc and know you cant say vitamin c supplements do nothing as other poster said. It can do some good and some bad depending on who uses it and what it's used for.I dont have any access to online journals to get papers and just browsed wikipedia article there on vitamin c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That Marty Morrissey was the inspiration for Tim Burton's Planet of The Apes.
    That Twink puts out on the first date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

...That Irish people say "top o' the morning".

I never heard anyone use that expression. I think it was invented in American movies to depict the Irish as simple folk.

I could be wrong though??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My mother swears by vitamin C when your sick with a cold or flu. It's all I ever take when I get either. I don't use supplements other than cod liver oil outside of being sick though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

ostriches don't bury their head in the sand when frightened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Im no scientist but watch a lot of documentaries on science nutrition etc and know you cant say vitamin c supplements do nothing as other poster said. It can do some good and some bad depending on who uses it and what it's used for.I dont have any access to online journals to get papers and just browsed wikipedia article there on vitamin c.

I didn't say vitamin C does nothing. I just don't believe that it has a significant effect on health.

Vitamin C and Immune Function. Alexander Strohle, Andreas Hahn

Source:
    Med Monatsschr Pharm Volume: 32 Issue: 2 Pages: 49-54; quiz 55-6 Published: 2009 Feb

Abstract:

"The immune system is strongly influenced by the intake of nutrients. For a long time there has been a controversy whether vitamin C can contribute to the prevention and therapy of the common cold. Several cells of the immune system can indeed accumulate vitamin C and need the vitamin to perform their task, especially phagocytes and t-cells. Thus a vitamin C deficiency results in a reduced resistance against certain pathogens whilst a higher supply enhances several immune system parameters. With regard to the common cold different studies including meta-analyses underline that the prophylactic intake of vitamin C may slightly reduce the duration of the illness in healthy persons but does not affect its incidence and severity. Supplementation of vitamin C is most effective in cases of physical strain or insufficient intake of the vitamin. With regard to the therapy of the common cold the application of vitamin C alone is without clinical effects."

It's also worth looking at the Cochrane database, they are an independent group that look at all the research on a subject and make informed conclusions. They say that Vitamin C may have a benefit to people under stress but in general there is no big clinical benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

Michael Caine has never said on film "My name is Michael Caine....Not a lot of people know that"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

asdasd wrote: »
    Maybe, but it doesnt matter to the logic of the sentence, does it. Its a small step for him, and a giant step ( or was it leap?) for ManKind. He said that as he stepped off the last rung onto the moon.

Erm it totally changes the logic of the sentence.
    "One small step for man" is the same as saying "One small step for mankind"
    "man" is often used to refer to all of mankind and thus means something totally different to "a man" which is one singular person.

The point of the speech was that something as trivial as A man taking a single step was about to herald a huge leap for mankind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

milod wrote: »
    Apparently a swan can't break your arm...
    If it were true lots of foreidners would have broken arms. Instead we've a shortage of swans :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

faceman wrote: »
    Bats are blind - not true either. They have average eyesight but cant see in bright light. They rely on the super radar powers more so than their normal vision.

The Great Wall of China can be seen from space. -No it cant, no matter what the weather conditions are.
    Bats don't have radar

It's a misquote, the wall of china is so big that the only place you could see it from end to end would be from space, just bring some binouculars or such like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

"One small step for man" is the same as saying "One small step for mankind"
    "man" is often used to refer to all of mankind and thus means something totally different to "a man" which is one singular person.

Except English isnt really as formal as all that. If he had said "One small step for man" rather than "a man", or "this man"; it would have been obvious that he meant himself, not ManKind, because clearly we werent all on the fcuking moon walking off a ladder. Nor did it mean that ManKind was taking a small step and a giant leap. because that is senseless.

I have always heard it as "small step for man", and always know the man was not ManKind, but Neil Armstrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

Except English isnt really as formal as all that. If he had said "One small step for man" rather than "a man", or "this man"; it would have been obvious that he meant himself, not ManKind, because clearly we werent all on the fcuking moon walking off a ladder. Nor did it mean that ManKind was taking a small step and a giant leap. because that is senseless.

I have always heard it as "small step for man", and always know the man was not ManKind, but Neil Armstrong.

I always thought of "man" as mankind in this sentence? Am i alone?
    Obviously it makes sense to talk about mankind when you are not on earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Its a common misconception that man walked on the moon.... (:D:D...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

he differentiated between man and mankind by using both the words man and mankind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

trustno1 wrote: »
    Its a common misconception that man walked on the moon.

Well I guarantee you it wasn't a bloody woman..
    There are far too many chores to be done on a space ship to have them off gallivanting around walking on things.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Yea but it still ruined the whole thing.

10 years of test missions, the cold war, the nuclear arms race, passing out the Russians in the space race, the sane, civilised, western world about to put things right by announcing that humans stepping onto another planet is victory for all human beings, not just America, and that we should all strive to work together and live in peace and end all this "my country's better than yours so much so that I'll nuke the planet to prove it" crap, and then he fcuks up the punchline:rolleyes::(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

Dogs can't look up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

'the southside of dublin is posher than the northside'

the southside has more working class areas that the northside, the real divide is east/west

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

That_Guy wrote: »
    The lads back in time did until Copernicus showed up and kicked ass and disproved those mutha's!!!

Copernicus FTW!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

" A Ducks Quack doesn't echo"

Load o Sh*t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

That Limerick City has/had the highest rating of stabbings in the country, hence the monicker 'Stab City'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Except English isnt really as formal as all that. If he had said "One small step for man" rather than "a man", or "this man"; it would have been obvious that he meant himself, not ManKind, because clearly we werent all on the fcuking moon walking off a ladder. Nor did it mean that ManKind was taking a small step and a giant leap.

So he refers to himself in the third person as "man" rather than I man?
    Would you say "I am man" or "I am a man"?
    "because that is senseless. "
    Exactly, he made a mistake.

""It doesn't sound like there was time for the word to be there," Armstrong said in the book. "On the other hand, I didn't intentionally make an inane statement, and ... certainly the 'a' was intended, because that's the only way the statement makes any sense."

But hey, maybe you know more than the man himself...:rolleyes:

"Me Tarzan, you Jane"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

'Columbus discovered America'

Nope. There natives who 'discovered' long before him. As regards the first European to see it, it was probably a Viking or maybe even St Brendan.

Plus he didn't discover the 'US' but the small part of the contient.

Limes are better apparantly, which is why a lot of people ate them before, during and after the long transatlantic voyage from the UK to the US.

British people eat limes, therefore Brits = Limies.

The trinidadian term "Liming" originates the same way.
    limes were cheaper not better

scurvey was a problem in the Royal Navy even after this

apparantly scurvey was still a problem in WWI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mmmmwah

hate how commonly 'disabled person' is used, as if that's who the person is, it should be person with a disability!!grrr!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

limes were cheaper not better

same thing if you're skint :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Slightly off topic, but ...

"The exception proves the rule".

This is almost universally misunderstood.

In fact, the original meaning is that an explicitly-stated exception (e.g. a "no right turn on red" sign at a US traffic light) implies the opposite general rule (e.g. if there's no such sign then it must in fact be ok to turn right on red). It's a very elegant idea and comes up frequently.

Here's an example from Wikipedia:

"Special leave is given for men to be out of barracks tonight till 11.00 p.m."; "The exception proves the rule" means that this special leave implies a rule requiring men, except when an exception is made, to be in earlier. The value of this in interpreting statutes is plain.

the southside has more working class areas that the northside, the real divide is east/west

Respect to my possie "The East Side Massive",
    We be kickin it "fo real" all up on the ghetto hood of Dun Laoghaire.

You betta checkty check before you Break yourself Fool

Aaaaaaaaaiiiiii??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

The other really well known space sentence is almost always misquoted too. I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader.

In space, no-one can hear you smeg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

That we really give a fcuk about VitaminC/Neil Armstrong/Evolution

Would you say "I am man" or "I am a man"?

Ack This is totally trivial. He may have dropped the 'a', or not, but he wasnt mis-understood in what he meant. he may have had Eastern Europen ancestory, too, did you ever think of that before you opened your gob? No, I thought not.

Time to move on, indefinite-article-fetishists. time to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Naos wrote: »
    You eat 8 spiders per year in your sleep.

The amount of times I hear this one is astounding.

I think its supposed to be on average you eat 8 spiders in your lifetime in your sleep, not a year!
    milod wrote: »
    Apparently a swan can't break your arm...

ah you stole mine.... yeah i have never met anyone who has had their arm broken by a close encounter with a swan!

Anyway, to move on. There seems to be a common modern belief that Algebra was invented by the Arabs, because the name is arabic. The name is arabic, but so is the name for Alcohol, also not invented by Arabs.

Babylonians, first. And then, and mainly, Greeks.

I think its supposed to be on average you eat 8 spiders in your lifetime in your sleep, not a year!

Where do they all come from. Thats still about 2000 a year.

Nonsense, although as it remains a good arguing point against vegetarians, I may continue to "believe" it.

"DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH SPIDER PROTEIN YOU EAT, YOU HYPOCRITE!!!! DONT TALK TO ME ABOUT CHICKENS"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

faceman wrote: »

The Great Wall of China can be seen from space. -No it cant, no matter what the weather conditions are.

Actually it can,depending on where in "space" you are. It cant be seen from the moon, say, but if you go just outside the atmosphere of the earth it can
    serendip wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but ...

"The exception proves the rule".

This is almost universally misunderstood.

Always wondered at that expression. Didnt make any sense at all to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Here's one I've heard: when Andy Warhol said 'in the future everyone will be famous for 15 minutes' he didn't mean all of us will be famous just that fame for those who get it will only last a short time.

there's a misconception that nobody understands tracker mortgages.. in reality, we all understand them, just pretend not to for the lulz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

"Premature ejaculation is a mans problem"

seriously lads, after shooting your load, have you EVER said to yourself:

"Shit!! I wish I didn't come just then"

Trust me, It's a womans problem, not a mans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Civil servants are servants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

marcsignal wrote: »
    "Premature ejaculation is a mans problem"

seriously lads, after shooting your load, have you EVER said to yourself:

"Shit!! I wish I didn't come just then"

Trust me, It's a womans problem, not a mans.
    Do you ever get to sleep with the same woman more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Diego Smartly

Everything these days is a misconception. People read an awful amount of sh*te in the papers and on poxy MTV news and than before you know it... Bish Bash Bosh its the absolute unarugable truth! Gosh dam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Contrary to popular belief, snail racing IS a real sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

eman66 wrote: »
    Civil servants are servants.

Civil servants are civil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

One of the freebie papers did an article on housewives tales and how a lot of them have been disproved

Coca Cola makes kids hyper
    Sitting close to the tv harms your eyesight

etc etc

Advertisement