Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Common misconceptions universally accepted

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 yousername

but we didn't evolve from monkeys, we share a common ape ancestor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Being vegetarian saves the rainforests. I'm sick and tired of hearing that shít. Especially from hippie backpackers.
    I think the idea is that not eating meat reduces the rainforest that has to be cut down for grazing land for steak / pork...
    mmmmwah wrote: »
    hate how commonly 'disabled person' is used, as if that's who the person is, it should be person with a disability!!grrr!:mad:
    Agree with you... I don't understand why "disabled" is considered more pollite than "handicapped" when calling someone disabled implies they are good for nothing, whereas calling them handicapped implies they just suffer one drawback...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Quint wrote: »
    Mixing your drinks makes you more drunk.

Well yes and no really. It's not about mixing drinks, it's about the chemicals in different types, plus personal aversion to certain flavours etc etc.

Anyway - many bad sessions are down to a poor chemical reaction from when you mix it up.

And to whomever said it - there's no evidence to suggest people ever thought the world was flat, in fact there's evidence to suggest they knew it was curved. Just don't have it to hand - but read through it during a history module some years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

dlofnep wrote: »
    True. We evolved from apes.

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Jev/N wrote: »
    No-one ever actually said "Beam me up Scotty" in Star Trek either

This may have been mentioned already but didn't have the chance to read 14 pages :)

Might have been mentioned alright - but AFAIK they did in fact use the line...though it may have been in one of the later movies or the Relics episode from TNG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Nope

Yes.

Yes.

Nope

Apes and humans evolved from a common ancestor, apes didnt just one day go "You know what, this is pretty good here, lets stop improving"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Nope

Apes and humans evolved from a common ancestor, apes didnt just one day go "You know what, this is pretty good here, lets stop improving"

But aren't humans apes? I think it would be more accurate to say that humans evolved as an ape.

But aren't humans apes? I think it would be more accurate to say that humans evolved as an ape.

Yeah, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

lee_arama wrote: »
    And to whomever said it - there's no evidence to suggest people ever thought the world was flat, in fact there's evidence to suggest they knew it was curved. Just don't have it to hand - but read through it during a history module some years back.

Newgrange!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Elivis ain't dead baby......he's just havin a break uhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

lee_arama wrote: »
    Might have been mentioned alright - but AFAIK they did in fact use the line...though it may have been in one of the later movies or the Relics episode from TNG.

Twas in the one with the dyson sphere if my nerd memory is correct. (which reading your post again and looking it up is the episode called relics)

Im surprised I remembered that from my childhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Don't think anyone said it in that ep either. Don't think he even handled the transporter controls. Wouldn't be surprised if it popped up in the next movie though with all their references to old Trek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Wazdakka wrote: »

Thank Christ....I'm not a bloody perverted bastard then as my co-workers said :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

both are correct, just because we ae still apes doesnt change the fact that we evolved from apes

we just evolved from a less to a more advanced type

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Newgrange!

A misconception about Newgrange is that it had the facade with the white stones etc like you see now. But aparently it was the chief archaelogist who decided based on loose evidence that that was what it would have looked like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

That true celtic Irish people have red hair, green eyes and freckles- true celts were dark with grey eyes and apparantly (according to that documentary on rte) we all originated from Northern Spain? Mad....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

That true celtic Irish people have red hair, green eyes and freckles- true celts were dark with grey eyes and apparantly (according to that documentary on rte) we all originated from Northern Spain? Mad....

Grey eyes eh - were they aliens then? :P

Well tbh I never held that true celts had red hair, green eyes and freckles (these are more Pictish traits), so I have doubts as to how common a misconception that is. I always had it that true celts were brown haired, blue eyed and came out of central europe.

I didn't see the program but afaik the colonists from Northern Spain that you refer to were more a pre-celtic (people probably closely related to the Basques) whom our genetic heritage and to a lesser extent Britain's is still heavily derived from, the amount of Celts that came to Ireland is now believed to have been small but they had a big impact because of their Iron technology.

luckylucky wrote: »
    Grey eyes eh - were they aliens then? :P
    I have grey eyes. Am I an alien??
    Well tbh I never held that true celts had red hair, green eyes and freckles (these are more Pictish traits), so I have doubts as to how common a misconception that is. I always had it that true celts were brown haired, blue eyed and came out of central europe.
    Most middle aged people I know think it's a true Irish trait and think I'm mad to suggest otherwise...also anyone outside Ireland thinks it too (that and that we have no electricity??)
    I didn't see the program but afaik the colonists from Northern Spain that you refer to were more a pre-celtic (people probably closely related to the Basques) whom our genetic heritage and to a lesser extent Britain's is still heavily derived from, the amount of Celts that came to Ireland is now believed to have been small but they had a big impact because of their Iron technology.
    Spot on...that's it exactly :):D

I have grey eyes. Am I an alien??
    Well are they grey, or greyey blue or grey green(is that possible?)? Coz I've never seen pure grey eyes have to say.
    Most middle aged people I know think it's a true Irish trait and think I'm mad to suggest otherwise

Well they are right to an extent it is a relatively more common trait in Ireland as it is in Scotland compared to other parts of Europe - particularly southern Europe where it's very rare. Still I think red hair is held by less than 9%( a lot of us have some recessive red haired genes going on of course) of Irish people so you only need to use your own eyes to tell it's only a trait of some Irish people. Anyway basically it is one of the typical traits of Irish people but as you say it's not a Celtic trait. That's probably the key difference.

• Advertisement

Well are they grey, or greyey blue or grey green(is that possible?)? Coz I've never seen pure grey eyes have to say.
    Um....lessee
    I have to say grey...like the colour- possibly a dark grey/blue ring on the outside with a kind of gold near the iris. Yeah, I've weird eyes...I am possibly an alien:pac:

Well they are right to an extent it is a relatively more common trait in Ireland as it is in Scotland compared to other parts of Europe - particularly southern Europe where it's very rare. Still I think red hair is held by less than 9%( a lot of us have some recessive red haired genes going on of course) of Irish people so you only need to use your own eyes to tell it's only a trait of some Irish people. Anyway basically it is one of the atypical traits of Irish people but as you say it's not a Celtic trait. That's probably the key difference.
    Travelling was hilarious due to this misconception about Irish and red hair/pale skin- I often got pulled aside in America for passport checks because my surname is typical Irish but I'm tanned and dark. They just assumed I was a foreigner pulling a fast one. My family history is 100% typical Irish btw- no idea why were all so tanned haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My family history is 100% typical Irish btw- no idea why were all so tanned haha
    You must be some sort of genetic freak, how many toes do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

javaboy wrote: »
    That the opening jangly chord of A Hard Day's Night is a G7sus4. It's actually an Fadd9.

Gary Coleman never actually said What you talkin bout Willis.

That if the wind changes while you're sitting really close to the telly, the ghost from 3 men and a little baby will carve your eyes into squares. In reality most tellys especially modern ones have an aspect ratio of more than 1:1. So your eyes would actually end up rectangular.

That the expression "throwing shapes" on a dancefloor refers to the energetic nature of the dancing. It actually dates back to medieval times when potential suitors would literally throw hoops and other objects with gaps in them at a woman they wanted to court. If they successfully "hooped" her, she was obliged to dance with them.

It'snot that Gary Coleman never said What You talkin bout willis - the script read What are you talking about Willis and he read it wrong.

-Leelo- wrote: »
    It'snot that Gary Coleman never said What You talkin bout willis - the script read What are you talking about Willis and he read it wrong.
    In other words, he never said it.

ScumLord wrote: »
    You must be some sort of genetic freak, how many toes do you have?
    Ummmm......ten? The webbing is okay right??:eek:

Um....lessee
    I have to say grey...like the colour- possibly a dark grey/blue ring on the outside with a kind of gold near the iris. Yeah, I've weird eyes...I am possibly an alien:pac:

Travelling was hilarious due to this misconception about Irish and red hair/pale skin- I often got pulled aside in America for passport checks because my surname is typical Irish but I'm tanned and dark. They just assumed I was a foreigner pulling a fast one. My family history is 100% typical Irish btw- no idea why were all so tanned haha

Well pale skin is pretty typical alright. Though I live in a sunny climate, I don't tan that easily and when I do it fades away quickly enough - don't even bother trying now as the only thing the sun's going to give me is skin damage ;) However when I go back home I'm relatively tanned in comparison to the numerous milky whites I see :P. Personally over the last few years foreigners often seem to think I'm a Russian or other eastern European for some reason. Even got sort of heckled in Madrid by a group of road workers calling me Ruso (Spanish for Russian) when I walked past.

Well pale skin is pretty typical alright. Though I live in a sunny climate, I don't tan that easily and when I do it fades away quickly enough - don't even bother trying now as the only thing the sun's going to give me is skin damage ;) However when I go back home I'm relatively tanned in comparison to the numerous milky whites I see :P. Personally over the last few years foreigners often seem to think I'm a Russian or other eastern European for some reason. Even got sort of heckled in Madrid by a group of road workers calling me Ruso (Spanish for Russian) when I walked past.
    I had a boss once who on hearing me help a customer turned to her assistant manager and said "That foreigner has great English!":pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

That cork has, or ever had, a right to call itself the real capital. The real capital of Ireland is Tara

Tara's not New York, you don't have to name it twice.

Ummmm......ten? The webbing is okay right??:eek:
    It sure is, for a fish person.:pac:

There he said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I had a boss once who on hearing me help a customer turned to her assistant manager and said "That foreigner has great English!":pac:

An explanation of your circumstances would help. Are you Irish living in Ireland etc?

• Advertisement

m@cc@ wrote: »
    An explanation of your circumstances would help. Are you Irish living in Ireland etc?
    If you read the full conversation you'd know :pac: I'm 100% Irish living and working In Ireland. The conversation started because of the misconception that red hair and feckles are the standard whereas I'm 100% Irish and am dark with a tan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

If you read the full conversation you'd know :pac: I'm 100% Irish living and working In Ireland. The conversation started because of the misconception that red hair and feckles are the standard whereas I'm 100% Irish and am dark with a tan.

Read the full conversation? Pah!

Are you sure though that you are 100% Irish? I have heard that 1 out of every 10 people have a father who isn't who they think it is...so way back in your family history, someone could have had a bit of a mess around with a Spanish sailor...

Are you sure though that you are 100% Irish? I have heard that 1 out of every 10 people have a father who isn't who they think it is...so way back in your family history, someone could have had a bit of a mess around with a Spanish sailor...

Yeah I heard that before too. It's meant to be pretty universal too, i.e. irrespective of race and religion. I think the only exceptions are England and Dublin where it's something like 2 out of every 3 :D;)

Anyway supposed that was true, that he has an unknown Spanish sailor ancestor from a few centuries ago. He'd still be 100% Irish as those genes would be sort of spread about a bit more now in Ireland. Otherwise at this stage there'd be precious few of us who are 100% Irish. ;)

Yeah I heard that before too. It's meant to be pretty universal too, i.e. irrespective of race and religion. I think the only exceptions are England and Dublin where it's something like 2 out of every 3 :D;)

Anyway supposed that was true, that he has an unknown Spanish sailor ancestor from a few centuries ago. He'd still be 100% Irish as those genes would be sort of spread about a bit more now in Ireland. Otherwise at this stage there'd be precious few of us who are 100% Irish. ;)
    Well there really is no such thing as 100% Irish. We're mongrels really!

Hmm. You're probably right. But it is interesting cos my mum's family is very dark and they swear there are only Irish in the family...I have my doubts...:)

Well there really is no such thing as 100% Irish. We're mongrels really![/QUOTE]

As or just about every people.

Well there really is no such thing as 100% Irish. We're mongrels really![/QUOTE]

As or just about every people.

That's what I mean (just mentioned Irish cos that's what we were talking about).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Harsh prison sentences deter people when all studies of human nature say fear of being caught is the greatest deterrent. This is because if people do something 5 times and don't get caught they will soon adapt and continue as if there is nothing to get caught for. The sentence obviously can't be too light either to make there no point in being caught.

Actually that too is a misconception- most sailors were drowned and those that survived were mostly put to death, it seems only about 100 managed to stay on Irish soil. Nope, the dark skin has been there all along- as far as the family history goes anyway. Plus, I'm historically from the wrong side of Ireland for the Armada theory. :pac:

• Advertisement

Actually that too is a misconception- most sailors were drowned and those that survived were mostly put to death, it seems only about 100 managed to stay on Irish soil.

eh where did he say he was talking about the Spanish Armada :pac:

eh where did he say he was talking about the Spanish Armada :pac:
    He mentioned a Spanish sailor. Isn't that the common explanation for tans and dark hair in Ireland?

Actually that too is a misconception- most sailors were drowned and those that survived were mostly put to death, it seems only about 100 managed to stay on Irish soil. Nope, the dark skin has been there all along- as far as the family history goes anyway. Plus, I'm historically from the wrong side of Ireland for the Armada theory. :pac:

I didn't mean the armada, I just meant some random dark and handsome foreigner!

(And I'm a she by the way). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

"I forgot to take it" or "it broke" or "i'll pull out..."

are common miscontraceptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The Federal Reserve Bank is owned by the government of America.

Al-Qaeda is the same as Taliban.

Hamas is a terrorist organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Hamas is a terrorist organisation.

Cause only the EU, UK, US, Australia, Canada and Japan officially designate them as a terrorist organisation.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I didn't mean the armada, I just meant some random dark and handsome foreigner!

(And I'm a she by the way). :)
    Oh cool, my bad, sorry about that (and for calling you a fella:o)...although I can't imagine there'd have been many Spanish fellas wondering around our part of Ireland five or so generations ago...Which is how far back we've managed to trace the dark skin so far.....and a little bit random that the odd fella who did would have happened upon a great great great etc granny....? Haha, anyways, thinking too much into it now and my family history is pretty cut and dried....nothing as exciting as Spanish sailors whisking girls away and then doing a runner...:pac::pac: Ole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

"If she got in, she must be legal..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

"If she got in, she must be legal..."
    Would that hold up in court?

Completely hypothetical question obviously...

<_<

>_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

There is a god. Very common misconception.

I thought today was Thursday. Has that been common?

I'm so disappointed. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement