Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Common misconceptions universally accepted

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny Weasel

No, just you pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

tech77 wrote: »
    Carrots can see in the dark?
    Ah that has to be bull$hit.

The carrot thing is almost true.

Bascailly carrots (and a many other veg actually) contains a nutrient called beta-carotene which is a pre-cursor to Vitamin A (the body converts it to vitamin A). And lack of Vitamin A causes Night Blindness. Vit A helps your eyes adjust to the dark quicker, so thus carrots do help you see in the dark. (The phrase was probably invented to get kids to eat more veg.)

You said , "taking extra vitamin C does nothing for you"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7932158.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6245702.stm
    Other reports show excess vitamin c is bad for certain people/conditions. You cant just make generalisations like you did.

You can't "overdose" on Vitamin C because you body gets rid of the excess every day in your urine. Any water souble vitamin is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

That love is real!!! It's just a chemical reaction people!!! Leave it be!!!

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    'Columbus discovered America'

Nope. There natives who 'discovered' long before him. As regards the first European to see it, it was probably a Viking or maybe even St Brendan.

Plus he didn't discover the 'US' but the small part of the contient.

I remember learning in History about him. Was Columbus the guy who discovered America, thought it was east india and died thinking he had failed to discover new land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

m@cc@ wrote: »

I'm afraid this is wrong. Bacterial infection is the cause of ulcers in 80% of cases. However it does not appear to explain all ulcers and researchers continue to look at stress as a possible cause, or at least a complication in the development of ulcers.

When I was undergoing treatment for my own stomach ulcer, I was explaining to my doctor that i`d been trying to avoid stress, and his exact words were `oh, thats an urban myth`.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

When I was undergoing treatment for my own stomach ulcer, I was explaining to my doctor that i`d been trying to avoid stress, and his exact words were `oh, thats an urban myth`.

Although most stomach ulcers are caused by the bacteria Helicobacter Pyroli, stress and alcohol are very much responsible for stomach ulcers too.
    I'm a med student, I know it.
    Stress causes release of stomach acids which can lead to ulcers.
    And Alcohol dissolves the protective mucus lining the inside of the stomach and exposes the stomach wall to the stomach acids leading to ulcers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

That women are better at multitasking than men.

A very complicated scientific explanation about the difference between boys' and girls' brains completely misconstrued in a commonplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That Aluminium came before Aluminum and that the United States later changed the spelling just to be rebels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

That women cant read maps.

oh, wait, thats true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

That its easy to score in Coppers :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Overheal wrote: »
    That Aluminium came before Aluminum and that the United States later changed the spelling just to be rebels.

Heh?? I thought it was common knowledge that Aluminum was the original (and correct) name??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Although most stomach ulcers are caused by the bacteria Helicobacter Pyroli, stress and alcohol are very much responsible for stomach ulcers too.
    And Alcohol dissolves the protective mucus lining the inside of the stomach and exposes the stomach wall to the stomach acids leading to ulcers.

Oh well! I still trust my own doctor though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I remember learning in History about him. Was Columbus the guy who discovered America, thought it was east india and died thinking he had failed to discover new land?

Google is your friend...

Better history lessons would also be her friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Heh?? I thought it was common knowledge that Aluminum was the original (and correct) name??

aluminium is the correct name, it went through 2 name changes to get there, from alumium to aluminum to aluminium, these changes were made by the fella who discovered it so that pretty much means the correct spelling is aluminium

plus its spelt that way by the international chemisrty thingy

indough wrote: »
    aluminium is the correct name, it went through 2 name changes to get there, from alumium to aluminum to aluminium, these changes were made by the fella who discovered it so that pretty much means the correct spelling is aluminium

plus its spelt that way by the international chemisrty thingy

You mean the IUPAC, who only adopted 'Aluminium' in 1990 as the standard term? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, President of Iran saying he wanted to wipe Israel off the face of the earth.

He's still an asshole though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

i have no idea when they adopted it but it was named aluminium by the guy who discovered it since the early 19th century

i hate the way some americans pronounce 'nuclear' as 'nucular' aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That the voice on the ad is Old Mister Brennan.

It's not.

It's Old Mister Brennan's friend recounting the various wise words of advice from Old Mister Brennan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Penn & Teller did a Bullshit special on stress can't find it on youtube though it must be too new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭deco05ie

You can't "overdose" on Vitamin C because you body gets rid of the excess every day in your urine. Any water souble vitamin is.
    yes you can. The fact you piss out the excess eventually won't make a difference if you are taking lots within a short timespan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

We only use 10% of our brains.

We should drink eight glasses of water each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

indough wrote: »
    more due to not understanding the question than anything else

i dont think anyone believes life began with evolution, just that its how the changes are accounted for

exactly. the word 'evolution' even implies that we evolved from something else in the first place. If you ask people what we were in the first place or how we got there or how/who we were created, I'm sure they wouldn't say 'evolution'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Marie Antoinette did not say "let them eat cake".

The oft used "the rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated" is a misquote of what Twain actually said.

Lee Harvey Oswald was actually ranked as an above average shot by his military instructors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

GAP (As in GAP Clothing) does not stand for Gay and Proud as is commonly believed.

It was named after the generation gap.
    FUBU actually stands 'for us by us', but alot of white kids wear it, tho I dont see many Irish kids wearing it anymore or maybe I dont notice

micheal jackson didnt bleach his skin white

sushi is not raw fish

van gogh did not cut of his ear, he cut of just a little bit of it and gave it to a woman he liked as a sign of devotion/affection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

thats what i just said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

This thread is confusing as fukk.

Half of the posts are things that are misconceptions that are actually false, the other half are the corrections of misconceptions that are actually false. So, for example:

We have five senses
    We don't only have 5 senses

Both getting the same point across, but from different points of view. Now imagine that differing approach applied to statements that have no relevence to each other.

I have a headache at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Many people think the city of San Diego simply means Saint Diego.
    It doesn't.

• Advertisement

Many people think the city of San Diego simply means Saint Diego.
    It doesn't.
    ye, it means 'wales vagina'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭IrishSerf

size doesn't matter:p

We all know it at least helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭In All Fairness

Do ya want to try it y'big "eatin' a turnip in the middle of the day" fella?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Heard this on the radio the other day: someone asking for a complete and "fulsome" apology. Presumably those saying it, and me until Tuesday evening, think that "fulsome" means "in full" or something. But apparently it means "insincere". And politicians have been using it for years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Another misconception: that doctors know everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BlondieCait

Common misconseptions??????

That the earths climate is changing due to human activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

JayeL wrote: »
    Heard this on the radio the other day: someone asking for a complete and "fulsome" apology. Presumably those saying it, and me until Tuesday evening, think that "fulsome" means "in full" or something. But apparently it means "insincere". And politicians have been using it for years!

It doesn't mean insincere but it can mean excessive. The original meaning of the word was "in full", as you put it, then it switched to being used in an ironic manner, but now the pendulum is swinging the other way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the natives didn't discover America, nor did the Vikings who lived there, nor did the Irish monks nor the Chinese , or many others

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The carrot thing is almost true.

Bascailly carrots (and a many other veg actually) contains a nutrient called beta-carotene which is a pre-cursor to Vitamin A (the body converts it to vitamin A). And lack of Vitamin A causes Night Blindness. Vit A helps your eyes adjust to tnight blindnesshe dark quicker, so thus carrots do help you see in the dark. (The phrase was probably invented to get kids to eat more veg.)
    :rolleyes:

Too little Vitimin A can lead to night blindness , but since it's fat soluble it is accumulated in the body, having an excess of it is not a good thing especially if you are pregnant. Havig an excess doesn't magically make you see better than normal in the dark.

Lack of Vitamin C makes you bleed easily but having extra doesn't means you bleed less than a normal person.

Al-Qaeda exits as a single organisation, rather than a blanket name for lots of groups.

Viet Cong .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BlondieCait

Al-Qaeda exits as a single organisation, rather than a blanket name for lots of groups.

Another common misconception;

that "Al-Qaeda" exists at all.

Too little Vitimin A can lead to night blindness

Thats what the poster you were debunking said.

asdasd wrote: »
    Thats what the poster you were debunking said.
    a lack of it causes a problem, an excess does not make you above average

Alaxander Bell invented the Telephone

Edison invented lots of stuff , like light bulbs, cinema, batteries ,
    - a lot of it was done by employees and patent jumping,

Nuclear power is safe and clean and economical, when you do an analysis from mine to repository that takes into account all the stuff ,starting with miners health and safety.

sushi is not raw fish

That is correct alright.

Sashimi is raw fish. Sushi is the rice that Sashimi is served on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

JayeL wrote: »

According to "www.dictionary.com", fulsome can mean anything from excessive to the point of being offensive to all-encompassing/comprehensive... So I'm not sure that a "fulsome apology" is necessarily a bad thing

EDIT - though as I read on it can also mean flattering/insincere... so maybe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Don't know if it's been said but the EU never tried to ban bendy bananas. It really irritates me how often that's repeated especially in reputable newspapers.

Lisbon makes the accession of Turkey possible.

Lisbon will set our minimum wage.

Lisbon will set our tax rates.

Lisbon kills babies.

Lisbon makes us join the army and lose neutrality.

Grr........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Ireland is a land of a thousand welcomes :p

• Advertisement

Lisbon makes the accession of Turkey possible.

Lisbon will set our minimum wage.

Lisbon will set our tax rates.

Lisbon kills babies.

Lisbon makes us join the army and lose neutrality.

Grr........

Lisbon will mean compulsory abortions for men too. Don't forget that one Jim Corr.

Advertisement