Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

preparing for a new puppy

Options
  • 15-09-2009 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,
    My two month old Labradour is arriving in two weeks and I am very excited! The only thing is I am a bit clueless in how to train him and what exactly to have done for when he arrives. I have bought books on labradours, but I dont know anyone who actually owns one!

Would I get him trained professionally immediately? What is the best pet shop in dublin? I was quoted €250 for a kennel specifically for labradours, I dont mind paying the money, once im not being ripped off. Would labs sleep inside at night time? what is the best tips on chewing etc
    Im well aware of the long walk and commitment, just looking for some friendly advice and tips. Really looking forward to his arrival, I want to be well prepared:)

Thank you so much in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

I have my labrador since febuary. They learn very quickly and easily so start training yourself from day one. Theres lots of websites/books which show you how to do basic training. If you get the puppy into good habits young you wont have problems as it grows up.
    A pup shoud sleep indoors in a training crate which costs around 80euro. This will stop accidents and was best thing i bought for my dog. You dont really need a kennell at this stage and 250euro is WAY too much. check www.zooplus.co.uk for cheaper kennels.
    Check http://www.labradorforums.co.uk/forums.html for good training tips etc

Start by not being afraid to correct the pup for doing inappropriate things by saying NO in a loud firm way and praising when doing good things with a nicer tone "Good boy OR girl"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

Congrats on the new pup and best of luck with his arrival! There's lots of advice out there on the web,mostly common sense stuff. I've recently had my eyes opened to Ian Dunbar's training theory,might find that helpful. Our mutt is a lab cross and everyday I get to see just how clever they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

macker4 wrote: »
    Hi,
    My two month old Labradour is arriving in two weeks and I am very excited! The only thing is I am a bit clueless in how to train him and what exactly to have done for when he arrives. I have bought books on labradours, but I dont know anyone who actually owns one!

Would I get him trained professionally immediately? What is the best pet shop in dublin? I was quoted €250 for a kennel specifically for labradours, I dont mind paying the money, once im not being ripped off. Would labs sleep inside at night time? what is the best tips on chewing etc
    Im well aware of the long walk and commitment, just looking for some friendly advice and tips. Really looking forward to his arrival, I want to be well prepared:)

Thank you so much in advance.
    no need for professional training for a while , if you have him indoors no real need for a kennel yet, as ronbyrne suggested a crate is the way to go, but be prepared for a lot less sleep for the first 6 months or so , as for walking , no outside walking until he gets his jabs , and very little walking until he is at least 12 months , start with 5 minutes a day for every month of age ,
    Join topdog.ie its a great site with lots of dog owners who will give you great advice ,
    enjoy your dog they are a lot of work but the rewards you get from dog ownership makes is so worthwhile .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 macker4

during the day while im out, would the puppy stay indoors or outdoors? I was going to buy the kennel for ouside when i was out??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Have a browse through here and here for some good advice

How long will the pup be left alone when you go out?
    Pups at first won't do well on their own, they're used to being with their mother and siblings, so it'd be unfair to be away for long. Also at only 8weeks old it might be a little cold to be left outside on their own.

If you're getting a kennel it must be big enough (your lab will get big!), waterproof and safe from the wind, put soft bedding in it. I have a friend with three golden labs and they all sleep out in their kennel now.

Chewing... they'll chew everything.. and I mean everything, don't leave anything lying around that you don't want shredded. If you leave them alone and they get bored or lonely, they can pull books off the shelves, things off the table etc.
    Chew toys, rope toys, kong toys (which you can put treats in for when you're not there).

If the pups only 2 months old it won't be fully toilet trained and it won't be able to hold it in if it needs to go. You need to be very patient (ask the owner if they've done any training with it already regarding going to the toilet). Take the pup out often to the grass, lots of praise when they go, if you see them going inside, a firm 'no', pick them up (even mid pee!) and put them outside, and lots of praise when they finish.
    Let them out after feeding because it doesn't take long for them to need to go.

Also ask the owner about the feeding habits at the moment, usually they will give you some of the food the pups on, so keep it on that food for the first while (even if you wish to change it in time) because changing their food often/quickly will ruin their little insides.
    Plenty of water always available for the pup.

For at night time, you need to be firm (as hard as it is), put them in their bed and keep putting them back into it if they get out crying etc. Don't jump and go to them the second they cry, it's like babies, you need to wait at least 10-15mins or else they associate that if they cry you'll come to them.
    Putting a warm hotwater bottle in a towel in their bed can help them sleep, also a ticking clock by their bed can be helpful. But the first few nights are usually a little rough.

You can research more about training methods, and other people here have better information on crate training which can be very beneficial. I wouldn't look at professional training yet, the pups a little young and needs to adjust to you and their new home :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

macker4 wrote: »
    during the day while im out, would the puppy stay indoors or outdoors? I was going to buy the kennel for ouside when i was out??

Well you can leave puppy in crate for a few hours at a time but will need to go toilet every few hours. Puppy shouldnt really be left alone all day though.

Advertisement