Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mosquito ultrasonic teenage deterrent

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Paulw wrote: »
    I believe that our resident's association looked in to them, only to be informed by the Gardai that they are illegal to use in Ireland. Something to do with the broadcasting frequency or something.
    No, they are used outside the McDonalds down the road from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

gerire wrote: »
    The actual reason that they are illegal as it is "assault" on the person, So i would be very cautious about going down this route. However the other options about continually getting onto your local station, Community Policing section and local Superintendant if needs be

Section 2 Non Fatal offences against the person Act 97
    Assault.

2.—(1) A person shall be guilty of the offence of assault who, without lawful excuse, intentionally or recklessly—

( a ) directly or indirectly applies force to or causes an impact on the body of another, or

( b ) causes another to believe on reasonable grounds that he or she is likely immediately to be subjected to any such force or impact,

without the consent of the other.

(2) In subsection (1)(a), "force" includes—

( a ) application of heat, light, electric current, noise or any other form of energy, and

( b ) application of matter in solid liquid or gaseous form.
    Wouldn't that make noisy house parties assault as well so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

they have two outside my local tesco... Its anoying for the second to walk in the door but after that its ok...

I wouldent be standing around them so its ok... It works on the kids tho as they hang out across the street..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

ALFIET wrote: »
    After enduring months and months of severe anti social behaviour around the businesses and homes in our area, and with limited powers of the Gardai to deal with them we are looking at putting up a "Mosquito ultrasonic teenage deterrent"

I've seen a neat trick in a section of Greystones where teens loitered and from which trouble/noise arose. Folk installed sections of "uncomfortable concrete" in strategic places where the teens would tend to stand/sit: this corner, on front of this wall, on that low wall. By "uncomfortable concrete" I mean some or other surface profile that made standing uncomfortable: a surface consisting of pointed (if rounded) nobs or one with a saw-tooth profile. In any given hang-out zone there are only a couple of places that need attending to in order to render the hang-zone useless and the teens will disperse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Its terrible that these teens ruin peoples lives and they are everywhere now! Scum of the earth! One guy around my area got so fed up where they used to sit at night he pured chip pan fat all over the wall!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Actually, use the power of christ. Attempt to convert them, and see how fast they run :D
    another is the anti climb paint.
    Great lolz is to be had with that stuff. It'd gooey, and will destroy peoples clothes,as they'll assume it's just water if it's dark where they are.

The classical music sounds like a great idea. I'm sure you'd be allowed to do so by the Gardai, once you explain your reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Try classical music. Play Barber's adagio for strings over and over and over.It builds and builds to a huge high pitched crescendo.Wrecks my ears every time I hear it, I've to turn it off!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

another is the anti climb paint.
    The problem with anti-climb paint is that it's nasty stuff and should only really be applied to places that are out of normal human reach already. It tends to contain hazardous substances.

Sorry not to be more 'constructive', but I'm just of the opinion that a lot of the more extreme deterrents aren't necessary an improvement on the situation. The most realistic suggestion so far has been to make the particular area more uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Its a Pity you cant do the old broken glass stuck to the wall anymore!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The problem with anti-climb paint is that it's nasty stuff and should only really be applied to places that are out of normal human reach already.

Where can you get such paint, and what exactly is it called? A web link might be useful too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I've got no link to hand. I wouldn't be surprised if B&Q or Woodies were selling it under some name or other. It doesn't really solve the OP's problem though unless the teens are climbing high walls where it could be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've seen a neat trick in a section of Greystones where teens loitered and from which trouble/noise arose. Folk installed sections of "uncomfortable concrete" in strategic places where the teens would tend to stand/sit: this corner, on front of this wall, on that low wall. By "uncomfortable concrete" I mean some or other surface profile that made standing uncomfortable: a surface consisting of pointed (if rounded) nobs or one with a saw-tooth profile. In any given hang-out zone there are only a couple of places that need attending to in order to render the hang-zone useless and the teens will disperse.
    "Deterrent paving".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Victor wrote: »
    "Deterrent paving".

That's the stuff. Passive but very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think someone is mixing up the frequency of these devices (> 17khz) with the volume (measured in dB), and seems to be set at 85dB (traffic noise loudness, and remember dB is measured logarithmically, so 100dB is a LOT louder). All noise will generally contain sounds at these frequencies, so the effect on anyone, long term, will be as bad as walking beside a busy road. CD's have a maximum of 20khz for music, they limit it to 20khz as a compression method (the original vinyl would usually have a far higher range).

The bad thing about them (from a human POV) is they play a purposefully annoying noise, but sure, you could just play Cher on the street to the same effect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement