Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable to Internet, do you need to pay a TV Licence for that?

Options
  • 15-09-2009 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

- I have no TV in my apartment
    - I have no TV Card in my computer
    - I have no way to watch TV or way to receive TV signal in my apartment
    - I do not have a Satelite dish connected to my apartement ( my neighbourgh has a Satelite disk but only connected to his own apartment and does not go thru my apartment at all.)
    - I have connection to a cable but ONLY for the internet not for the TV ( i can prove it thru the UPC subscription / contract)

@ http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/media/tv_licences it says "Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (using an aerial, satellite dish, cable or other means) must have a television licence. "

my cable could connect me to the TV IF I purchased the contract for the TV..but I don't and won't purchase it.

Should I or not pay the TV licence? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

the cable is not capable of recieving tv, the device attached to the cable has to be capable of recieving tv therfore you do not need a tv licence

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

D3PO wrote: »
    the cable is not capable of recieving tv, the device attached to the cable has to be capable of recieving tv therfore you do not need a tv licence

Strictly speaking- if you use the internet provided through the cable to browse live TV (RTE news or whatever) you would in fact be liable to a TV licence. The Act doesn't diffrentiate between broadcasting methodology.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

smccarrick wrote: »
    Strictly speaking- if you use the internet provided through the cable to browse live TV (RTE news or whatever) you would in fact be liable to a TV licence. The Act doesn't diffrentiate between broadcasting methodology.

strictly speaking i guess this is correct. However I dont believe this would be seen to be a breach of licencing.

I mean it would get silly otherwise, technically you can get tv on your mobile phone so does that mean if you had no tv or internet you would still be liable ?

I guess best bet would be to call the relevent department and see what they say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

D3PO wrote: »
    I mean it would get silly otherwise, technically you can get tv on your mobile phone so does that mean if you had no tv or internet you would still be liable ?

Under a strict reading of the law- yes, you would still be liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 blanchdub

Computer are not a problem. A law to make it more restrictive thanksfully failed :
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/12982/comms/government-says-no-tv-licence-needed-for-rte-online
    "Government says no TV licence needed for RTE online
    The Broadcasting Bill 2009 specifically exempts mobile phones, “standard PCs with a broadband connection and laptops with TV cards” from a television licence requirement, the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Eamon Ryan TD, has said.
    What this means is that anyone in Ireland watching streamed or downloadable video content, be it from a service such as YouTube or the RTE Player – which has shows such as EastEnders and Grey’s Anatomy available for viewing after broadcast – will not have to hold any form of TV licence.
    "

Also the TV Licence letter does not list computer.

and now looking at this article "exempts mobile phones, standard PCs with a broadband connection and laptops with TV cards” means that I am also very likely safe with a standard cable internet connection that does not allow TV connection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement