Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting list for NCT?

Options
  • 15-09-2009 12:33pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if there is currently a waiting list for the NCT centre?

Also do they need a tax cert to nct or is it the other way round and I need a NCT to get a tax cert?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Call up the centre and ask if they have a waiting list - or go online. :D

You need your vehical registration cert to do the test. You will then need the NCT cert to get taxed & insured next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

My daughter phoned last week, was hoping for the Xmas hols period when she is off college, only date available was 9 December which she accepted, (looks like another job for yours truly)

Took my son's car in last week, all I was asked for Reg no. & €50 no log book, was a full hour behind appointed time when the car was eventually called in. The car passed, two days later he got a puncture & when changing the wheel noticed a badly worn ball joint.:confused::confused::confused: (NCT my A***)

Was never asked for nct getting cars taxed or insured (different for commercials however) but this may have changed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I booked mine the second week of August and got a date on Saturday afternoon 5th September. There were numerous vacant slots after that date too.

When I arrived the place was empty and they drove the car in straight away. I was chatting to the guy behind the counter and he said it was quiet all day, he said Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are hectic there but other days are dead quiet. It does make you wonder what sort of computerised booking system is used where slots are not allocated more evenly over the entire week.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

Hi, this is a bit off topic, but I'm wondering when is my car due its nct?Its an 06 car, and it's not been nct-ed yet-will I get a letter telling me when its due or is it up to me to know??thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Any car waiting more than 28 days for a test can have the test for free.

http://www.inishowennews.com/NCTrefund.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

My NCT was due 1st September, haven't got a letter yet but managed to log in to try book an appointment. There are no available appointments on the system at all, that runs up to after Christmas.
    If I phone in will there be any difference in the appointments available?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Absolutely. Their online booking system is very flawed.
    Call them.

Berty wrote: »
    Any car waiting more than 28 days for a test can have the test for free.

http://www.inishowennews.com/NCTrefund.htm

That is a very misleading notice and I read they were told take these notices down at their centres.

It is only in cases where they cannot give you a booking within 28 days, not the actual test itself. So they can give you a slot in 3 months time as long as they give you that booking within 28 days.

Hi, this is a bit off topic, but I'm wondering when is my car due its nct?Its an 06 car, and it's not been nct-ed yet-will I get a letter telling me when its due or is it up to me to know??thanks

They don't send notices out anymore afaik even though it still says so on their website. It is now up to the registered owner to arrange a booking. My car is 06 and I got it NCT'd almost 2 weeks ago even though it wasn't due until next February. My NCT is now valid for 2.5 years.

The NCT is due on the 4th anniversary of the car's first registration date. You can check the actual first date of registration on the car's Vehicle Registration Cert or logbook.

However on cars due their first NCT (4 years old) you can book it 6 months prior to it being due meaning the NCT will be valid for 2.5 years. Cars due their second or subsequent NCT can be tested 3 months prior to it being due, again the NCT will then be valid for 2 years and 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

DBIreland wrote: »
    My NCT was due 1st September, haven't got a letter yet but managed to log in to try book an appointment. There are no available appointments on the system at all, that runs up to after Christmas.

They don't send out letters anymore, you have to book it in yourself now, that is what I was told anyway.

• Advertisement

DBIreland wrote: »

They don't send letters anymore despite their website saying the opposite. Try the website around 08:00 in the morning, alot of cancelations appear on the site early in the mornings, you might find one that suits you, alternatively ring them for a cancelation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks for all the info.

I rang them this afternoon and was told that they were fully booked until end December :eek: but.. they should have some slots coming available over the next 3 weeks :confused::confused:

Don't get it myself, but I'm in the system now anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dexem

angeldaisy wrote: »
    thanks for all the info.

I rang them this afternoon and was told that they were fully booked until end December :eek: but.. they should have some slots coming available over the next 3 weeks :confused::confused:

Don't get it myself, but I'm in the system now anyway!

My car is due this month (!) and I rang up today, and was given a date in December, but was told I was on priority. I also double checked, and there are dates next week in both Charleville and Ennis at odd times. Not optimal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gmkgreaney

i booked mine yesterday and got a date for dec 12th:D iv to renew the tax monday will they give me tax without nct???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

gmkgreaney wrote: »
    i booked mine yesterday and got a date for dec 12th:D iv to renew the tax monday will they give me tax without nct???

Should do

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

In fairness to them, they can be very quick getting you a date.

I rang on Friday of last week, and I received a letter in the mail saying I could be tested next Monday.

gmkgreaney wrote: »

You don't need an NCT to tax your car these days.

Advertisement