Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tubridy and Kenny's Wages

• 15-09-2009 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering if their wages have changed with their changes of positions?
    I would have assumed that Kenny would take a drop and Tubridy would have got an increase. But it is the public service, so both probably got an increase.
    Has this been made public?

Kind of makes O'Donoghue's expenses pale into insignificance when you see what these guys are being paid. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hi guys,

Has this been made public?

Kind of makes O'Donoghue's expenses pale into insignificance when you see what these guys are being paid. :(

If you have to ask if it's been made public you obviously don't know the figures involved , how can you make comparisons with anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

The 2009 figures won't be available until well into 2010, if not later. There seems to be quite a long time lag until this stuff is published. Also, they won't show the full figure either, I'm guessing, as they will only show what was earned in that year (assuming RTE use the calendar year as their financial year and that the salaries changed this month), so you'd need to wait until 2011 (or so) when the 2010 figures are published.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The Muppet wrote: »
    If you have to ask if it's been made public you obviously don't know the figures involved , how can you make comparisons with anything?

http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.php/13116/pat-kenny-tops-rte-star-salary-list

Well the comparison I was making was initially on 2004 earnings which are available in this article and others. And you can be pretty sure the amounts havent gone down (aside from the 5% levy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

When RTE eventually get around to publishing the figures this year, the amount shown will be what was earned in 2007, it is always 2 years in arrears. So you will have to wait until 2011 to get the answer to your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

More like 2012 then (if there's a 2-year time lag) as the 2009 figures won't show a full year's earnings on the changed salaries. If PK is going to present the sucessor to Questions and Answers then chances are his earnings won't go down at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

And you can be pretty sure the amounts havent gone down (aside from the 5% levy).

Ah, Dame Certainty can be a cruel mistress. Tubridy was on €346,000 a year, Kenny on €850,000. Kenny took the requested ten per cent cut in February, and Tubridy followed a month later.

I don't know if Tubridy's elevation to the Late Late has secured him a raise. I imagine so. In the current atmosphere of RTE spoon-counting, however, I would be surprised if it's very big.

I spose it wouldnt make sense to announce the current wages under and FOI request as then all the competitors would know what RTE are paying them. Not that I think anyone would be prepared to pay them more than what they get in RTE.

What annoys me from that article, is that Gerry Ryan says:
    The only reason I’m paid what I’m paid is that RTE makes a huge amount of money through radio sales on the programme I present. That’s the only reason anyone should be paid a large amount of money. It’s a simple argument - you only get what you’re worth, and that’s the way it is across the board,
    On that same argument now that "radio sales" are down, should his salary not now reflect this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Not that I think anyone would be prepared to pay them more than what they get in RTE.

Too right. Moving from RTE would also involve a serious loss of impact and audience for any of the top names. I can't see Gerry Ryan settling for the few feckless morning viewers who have forgotten how to switch away from TV3.

The problem for RTE management seems to be that they have a very small talent pool. The fact that Ryan was seriously considered for the Late Late Show, after one guest spot where he miraculously didn't photocopy his scrotum or guff on about periods for an hour, is a stark indication of how narrow the choice is.

If they made some attempt to train new presenters, that might change. The current system is to find someone who vaguely works, give them completely unsuitable promotions until they look like a tit, then sideline them. (Sean Moncrieff's chat show would be a prime example, and a terrible waste of talent.) This gives us a lot of onscreen failure, and blanket over-exposure for the few who succeed.

http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.php/13116/pat-kenny-tops-rte-star-salary-list

Well the comparison I was making was initially on 2004 earnings which are available in this article and others. And you can be pretty sure the amounts havent gone down (aside from the 5% levy).

The comparison you were making was pointless. RTE staff earned their wages, unlike O Donoghue's with his expenses.

The comparison you were making was pointless. RTE staff earned their wages, unlike O Donoghue's with his expenses.

But not as pointless as somebody commenting in reply to a point they consider to be pointless.

Both RTE wages (the top earners) and John O'Donoghue's expenses are wastage of taxpayes money, and as such are comparable as excesses of the public service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 SalmoTheLeaper

Couldn't agree more!!

The late late show is all about the guests, the presenter is of secondary importance (in my opinion). Can anyone honestly say that they tuned in every friday primarily to watch Pat Kenny- I doubt it somehow.

The amount of money these guys are on is obscene.

Also- why does RTE recieve the licence fee money, and also recieve money from running adverts? Seems a bit unfair to any other tv/ radio stations that are trying to compete with them.

But not as pointless as somebody commenting in reply to a point they consider to be pointless.

Both RTE wages (the top earners) and John O'Donoghue's expenses are wastage of taxpayes money, and as such are comparable as excesses of the public service.

Is your salary a waste of your employers money? Some jobs pay more than other's, build a bridge......

Also- why does RTE recieve the licence fee money, and also recieve money from running adverts? Seems a bit unfair to any other tv/ radio stations that are trying to compete with them.

Well this is another reason why I was having a go at Gerry Ryan. TV3 have accused RTE of deliberately underpricing advertising to prevent their clients from pulling their adverts and going elsewhere. RTE can only afford to do this because of the license fee, so to reiterate, if G.Ryan justifies his astronomical fee because he brings in advertising - then when his advertising decreases, his salary should decrease also.

The advertising issue was tackled in the SBP a few weeks ago.

http://www.sbpost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=MEDIA+AND+MARKETING-qqqs=mediaandmarketing-qqqid=36442-qqqx=1.asp
    As the downturn bites, RTE has found itself accused of underpricing its advertising.

The accusation comes from commercial rival TV3, whose managing director, David McRedmond, suggested in an interview with this newspaper that RTE was undermining the TV advertising market by keeping advertising costs too low.

He called for tighter regulation of RTE and said that, because RTE had a dual funding stream and thus had licence fee income to rely on as well as ad revenue, it wasn’t properly focused on maximising its commercial revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 redhugh

I doubt Pat "the plank" Kenny has taken a cut in his wages sure doesnt he need them to pay his solicitor for making false ownership claims on his neighbours property, then again it might be cheaper for Pat to buy the land going by current prices, but thats just Pat, he hasnt figured this out yet while his solicitor is laughing the whole way to the bank.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Is your salary a waste of your employers money? Some jobs pay more than other's, build a bridge......

Gerry Ryan's salary should, but doesn't reflect...

TV3, Today FM or Newstalk wouldn't and couldn't pay him that amount

the 9 to 12 timeslot on one of the national broadcasters main radio stations would have have a large audience anyway, nobody is indispensalbe

the advertising revenue for his show is down by a 1/3

40% of RTE's overall budget comes from the licence fee payers

his show is the 8th most listened to radio programme on RTE, yet he is the 2nd highest paid presenter

Advertisement