Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Veterinary Mature Student

• 15-09-2009 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'd be grateful if anyone can help - I'm hoping to apply as a mature student to do the Veterinary degree in UCD next year. I have a decent enough leaving cert (although not exactly up to the 500-odd CAO points the course is currently at). I'm planning to sit the Leaving Cert Chemistry exam next year as I didn't choose this subject at the time. Can anybody suggest anything else I could do over the next few months that might work in my favour in getting accepted on to the course?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

• Contact the Head of the Department and ask what is required of mature student applicants.
    • Contact the Mature Students Officer at UCD and see if they can offer you advice.
    • Go to any Open Days at UCD so you can speak to lecturers and current students about the course.
    • Try got work experience in a Veterinary Practise or do volunteer work at the DSPCA or other Animal Welfare organisations.

I wrote out some tips on applying as a mature student in a sticky on the Mature and Non-Traditional Student Forum. Have a look here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Jen1985

I went down the same route you are now earlier this year. I explored every avenue and thought id pass on my advice. UCD dont offer a mature student entry route for veterinary medicine. Its only offered for veterinary nursing. There is however a graduate entry route so if you already have a degree then this might be a possibility for you. There are only 5 places offered for the graduate entry and if you dont already hold a science related degree and have a 2:1 or higher in your degree then there is little possibility of entry onto this course. They state on their website that they do accept those with non science related degrees of 2:2 or higher but when i rang the head of the department in ucd he told me that it is extremely unlikely that without a science related degree that i would get in. He said in rare circumstances they would take such a person in but they would usually have a 1:1 in their degree. You would also have to sit the GAMSAT in february which is a day long test on the sciences and sort of an aptitude test. If you are successful then the fees are 20,000 euros per annum. If you are looking for a cheaper option and an easier option to gain entry then perhaps you should consider budapest. i know a few people over there now. it might be worth looking into because its recognised over here if you plan on working in ireland. Szent Istvan University is the one that does veterinary. I abandoned the idea of veterinary altogether due to the fact that i wasnt prepared to move away to do it for 5 years. If its something you really want then id definitely consider it. ive chosen a different career path altogether but i know one or two that went to budapest and are loving it. if you have any q's let me know. hope i didnt put you off, just wanted to let you know

Advertisement