Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Python Scripting on Telit Module

Options
  • 15-09-2009 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone else has done any programming on the Telit GSM modules in python? I'm up and running and have scripts running on the module.

One of my scripts is using the serial port to communicate with a bus system, which works most of the time, but it looks like some times the phython interpreter is stopped/started, possibly while the CPU is off doing some background tasks on the GSM network.

Does anyone know of anyway of protecting a critical section of code, eg so a number of bytes can be sent together to the serial port?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone else has done any programming on the Telit GSM modules in python? I'm up and running and have scripts running on the module.

One of my scripts is using the serial port to communicate with a bus system, which works most of the time, but it looks like some times the phython interpreter is stopped/started, possibly while the CPU is off doing some background tasks on the GSM network.

Does anyone know of anyway of protecting a critical section of code, eg so a number of bytes can be sent together to the serial port?

hi,

I am not familiar with the telit GSM module in python itself but have dealt with similar languages before (ruby, perl, among others) .
    The structure we used to make critical code/data being used 'persistent' was to use linkage between the calling module or class. It was possible to move data to fields declared in linkage before an interrupt was signaled from the calling REX, then when the PEX resumed the data was made available in via linkage again. We had a set of 'control programs' which provided transparent access to the hardware and that handled the interrupts, not sure how your serial port/bus communicate but I would guess the functionality is there too.
    hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The python interpreter that runs on the telit module is a really "cut" down version, so doesn't offer many functions that would be available as standard.

I'm sending bytes out one at a time from a "for" loop... i'm going to pop them into a string, using the "for" loop, and then call the send string function and see if they go as a block instead.

Thanks again...

Advertisement