Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ownership of wild animal carcases

Options
  • 15-09-2009 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Can anyone tell me if a wild animal dies on your land can you claim ownership of the carcase? The legislation I can find is very vague, but maybe I'm not looking at the right one. It states that the carcase can't be stolen but can still be counted as property-surely this can't be right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Why may i ask without being rude? Is it for stuffing and mounting. If its on your land you can do what you want. Not sure whats the stand if its a protected species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 lougem

lol no I'm studying for an exam. It's just a hypothetical problem question I'm trying to answer. It's a stupid situation that would probably never happen in reality. Guy finds a dead wild animal on his property, decides to blow it up as the easiest way of breaking the carcass apart to bury it, part of the animal lands on someone and injures her. Was the carcass his property or not? (if it was, he's liable)

:confused: Ridiculous really

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

wouldn't that fall under laws dealing with explosives rather than animals ...I mean ..who cares what he blew up and who it belonged to ...he used bloomin dynamite to do so and injured someone in the process

btw ...there IS a legal discussions forum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

I depends on the animal.

You would have to report it to the fallen animals section of the civil service. If it is farm or livestock although on your land you may not keep it as there is compenstaion to the owner from the government for the dead animal.

However if it is a wild animal you can do what you want with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

What wild animal could get onto your farm that would be big enough require explosives to destroy? Explosives are controlled anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Thread closed.

No discussion of illegal activity is allowed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement