Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Doc

Options
  • 15-09-2009 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone been to the South Doc?
    I am thinking of going as I have been ill for a number of weeks and I'm not getting better.

Anyone know where they are based and what the cost is?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ButtonyBoo

SouthDoc is based out in the Kinsale Road Industrial Estate, near the Kinsale Road roundabout, further in beyond Smyths Toys. They are mainly an after hours emergency-type service and you need to ring first to make an appointment. The number is 1850 335 999.

As doctors take turns in providing this service, the quality of the consultation can be hit and miss. I've brought my child a few times and have met some brilliant doctors and some horrendous ones.

Would you better off maybe trying a local GP instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ejvilla

Hey kingtut, sorry to hear you're not feeling the best! South Doc is an out of hours GP service, so if you have a GP you should really try to visit them first.

The cost was about 70e the last time I was there and they do accept medical cards. They have multiple locations around Cork. Assuming you're in the city, I'd say the closest to you is just off the Kinsale Rd Roundabout - taking the exit for the city centre. It's almost immediately on your left, at the back of the industrial estate.

Feel better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

you've been ripped off ejvilla, cost is €60 at the moment.

to the OP, definitely try to see your GP first, only use Southdoc if you have no other options available. Sometimes you can pick up something worse in the waiting room compare to what you may have beforehand!
    I've been there a few times and always I couldn't get over the amount of dodgy heads there were in there (patients!), some trying to start trouble and some just so loud that it make the whole episode unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Southdoc are hopeless. They'll give you the most basic form of medication, and refer you to your own GP, or to Hospital. Go to your GP first and foremost, and if you don't have one, ring around. Ina Corbett on the South Terrace is great, and the Polish Medical Centre - Medicus in Blackpool is the nearest thing to a mini hospital you can get. The staff there diagnosed my nose problem after 5 years of Irish doctors couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ButtonyBoo

you've been ripped off ejvilla, cost is €60 at the moment

Think it's 70 euro after midnight, 60 euro before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

South doc will give you some anadin and tell you go to your gp. If you're looking for one try the Medi centre by dennehys cross. They are also on Oliver plunkett st iirc.

They should be the first hit on google.

Get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Southdoc are hopeless. They'll give you the most basic form of medication, and refer you to your own GP, or to Hospital. Go to your GP first and foremost, and if you don't have one, ring around. Ina Corbett on the South Terrace is great, and the Polish Medical Centre - Medicus in Blackpool is the nearest thing to a mini hospital you can get. The staff there diagnosed my nose problem after 5 years of Irish doctors couldn't.

Ina was in Blarney a few years ago and was top class.That Polish Clinic sounds good too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Thanks for all the replies everyone, sounds like going to a GP is the best bet.

My head is killing me, I struggle to breath on occasion and I keep on coughing, oh and when I try to breath in it feels like one of my lungs is moving up and down (weird and unpleasant sensation :()

I do not have a GP, can I simply go to one and say will you be my GP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

kingtut wrote: »

I do not have a GP, can I simply go to one and say will you be my GP?

Think it depends on the G.P, some with only take appointments and can be hard to get into, thankfully my doc just takes walks in so anyone can walk in and see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Think it depends on the G.P, some with only take appointments and can be hard to get into, thankfully my doc just takes walks in so anyone can walk in and see him.

Thanks! Can you tell me where your one is? Do you need to bring anything with you apart from cash? Sorry for all the silly questions I have never been to a doctor / GP before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I started with a new GP last year.
    I rang up, made an appointment and landed in. They handed me a form looking for name, address, next of kin and my insurance details.
    That was it - I told the doc my medical history and that was that. handed over 50 quid on the way out. simple as anything.

I'd say ring a gp, explain you don't have a doctor, ask will they take you. Check the price, then just turn up whenever they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

Ring up any and book an appointment. You may need to answer some basic questions but that's all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

don't worry too much about not having a GP. There are plenty of clinics around where you just turn up and see a doc. The clinic up in Mount Oval is an example.

Mind you, it is good to have a GP who will get to know you and hopefully they will spend more time with you and your problem(s).
    The clinic above is just a money making machine. From personal experience I felt they didn't really listen (I've had to interrupt before they made a mistake) and all they were interested in is upping the fees, €65 the last time I was there with my daughter.

Hope you get well soon!

Advertisement