Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft Zune HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I was looking for something like this thread. I was looking at the info for the Zune HD and I think I might fancy one. Ill be over in the states for a few weeks in a few weeks time.

But before I buy is there any issue with using a Zune outside the US market. I mean I know the warrenty wont apply and all that stuff but I mean software and services wise??

/Marc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Looks like they haven't totally forgotten about the market outside the USA:

Latest Zune press release
    The Zune Service Extends Across Microsoft Platforms
    Later this fall, Zune video will expand to nearly 20 million Xbox LIVE users, combining the Zune and Xbox video stores so consumers have access to more content provided by Zune. With unified video catalogs on Zune and Xbox LIVE, customers will have the ability to play purchased movies and TV shows across Xbox, the PC and Zune HD. Zune will also be introducing new technology enhancements in Xbox LIVE, providing a choice to download or instantly stream HD video in full 1080p with 5.1 surround sound. In addition, the integrated Zune video service will be rolled out later this fall to 17 international markets: Canada, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.(3) More information on Zune and related images is available at http://www.zune.net/press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Just installed the 4.0 sw and I like it.

Haven't time to play with it fully but looks good at an initial gawk.

Now I want my HD dammit!

\o/ a zune toolbar. about damn time :D I like to have my stuff minimised to a toolbar or icon if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I'm installing myself right now. I hope they come quick with a 64GB to match the new iPod capacity. My Zune 80 will be for sale shortly! :)

hshortt wrote: »
    I'm installing myself right now. I hope they come quick with a 64GB to match the new iPod capacity. My Zune 80 will be for sale shortly! :)
    NOO!! Don't say that, I want a HD now! I dunno if I can wait for a 64gb version :(

• Advertisement

heh heh, they did say they'd come with a 64GB ;) I'd love a HD myself even at 32GB it'd be great. Ebay isn't as gouging as it was a week ago. About 249 Euro before delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kaimera wrote: »
    Just installed the 4.0 sw and I like it.

Haven't time to play with it fully but looks good at an initial gawk.

Now I want my HD dammit!

\o/ a zune toolbar. about damn time :D I like to have my stuff minimised to a toolbar or icon if possible

Is it software for the computer, or for the actual player?

What changes?

Mine's a Zune 80, is this affected?

Des wrote: »
    Is it software for the computer, or for the actual player?

What changes?

Mine's a Zune 80, is this affected?
    It's computer software; the actual zune media player stuff.

You'll prolly get prompted to update it when you launch the software or else if you click "check for updates"

@hshortt I have one at buyitnow for 252 delivered...dammit so tempted

The weak dollar is making it so tempting, don't know whether to order via the bay or get someone to pick one up for me when next Stateside.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

With a new era in the Zunes timeline now upon us it's time for a new thread, by now the old thread is mostly full of redundant info so i've closed it (i'll reopen at some point for people with old Zunes to post in). If you're curious you can check out the old Zune thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055204402

• Advertisement

@hshortt I have one at buyitnow for 252 delivered...dammit so tempted

You know you want to! :D 252 is a good price, think of it this way - it's less expensive than 32GB iPod Touch. ;)

Liking the new software, but it did initially screw up my sign in based on my unsupported 'Region'. A quick location change in the control panel regional settings (Windows 7) sorted that out.

Liking the new touches such as quickplay, smart DJ, channels and marketplace picks, although the last ones are only good for the Zune Pass or US based users.

On the device I noticed that it's much more responsive to finger slides on the squircle.

The update wiped out my auto playlists, might be worth mentioning for other users to back them up first.

@Matcard, thanks for the new thread.

possibly not new news but 3d games and apps later this year

http://min.ie/1OY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Sea08

First Homebrew App has appeared. Shame Microsoft aren't opening the platform to allow people to develop and deliver these.

Made using xna studio with the zune hd tools download.

Can anyone confirm if the premium headphones come with the HD or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Can anyone confirm if the premium headphones come with the HD or not?

They stopped including the premium headphones with the last models, so I'd surprised if they went back to including them.

Thanks Mactard for the offer, but I decided I didn't want to be a guinea pig. Hopefully someone else here will be so I can decide. :D There's a few comparison shots of the screen with an ipod/iphone on Macrumors and it looks superb. Excellent viewing angles and dark blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

Played with the new software last night, quickplay is cool. Marketplace wasn't really working properly, could browse it ok but couldn't sign in.

€190 here with a powerseller, it's really tempting!
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320423519876

same guy has the 32GB one for €245. I prefer the look of the black one though, it's really slick! It's on sale at a good time, the HDD in my 80GB Zune is starting to click.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

MrSparkle wrote: »
    Played with the new software last night, quickplay is cool. Marketplace wasn't really working properly, could browse it ok but couldn't sign in.

€190 here with a powerseller, it's really tempting!
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320423519876

same guy has the 32GB one for €245. I prefer the look of the black one though, it's really slick! It's on sale at a good time, the HDD in my 80GB Zune is starting to click.

Item location UK. That was fast. Very Fast. Also, he's using stock photos. I'm not saying he/she isn't an honest seller it's just that you could be waiting.

I'd say he's legit - He's a power seller with a feedback score of 7527. He's had them up for the last few days, says they will ship on the 21st.

I hate buying stuff like this on ebay but won't be heading to the states this year. Picked up my 80GB Zune off ebay and it was fine.

Might leave it for a while until a few more sellers have them.

nice find on ebay..looking at one from the US for ~250e delivered.

I have to get it sent to sweden tho...damned if i'm gonna wait till i get home like!

Looks like there is a work around for Mac users by buying VMware.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-12519_7-10354727-49.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=Crave

Must say I'm liking the new software for the PC, some nice new features and have managed
    to restore marketplace access on my laptop running Vista but if I boot in Win7 I'm getting the
    'wrong region' message. I've changed Region in Win control panel and no joy so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Looks like there is a work around for Mac users by buying VMware.

Hahaha, yeah, not really a work around I'm willing to put up with tbh.

Possibly a daft question but I'm seeing the sync cable listed as an accessory on ebay;

Does the HD not come with it?
    - is it the same connection as the second gen 80/120gb models?

I could get by without premium headphones (could do with a new pair mind you) but not without a sync cable out of the box

I'd say that's just poorly copied and pasted from somewhere or for people who have lost the cable.

Contents of the box are here, sync cable is included -
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/24/zune-hd-box-contents-spotted-at-best-buy/

Bit annoying about not getting premium headphones with this one.

So I just bit the bullet and bought a HD on ebay.

****ing paypal conversion rate: got it for 355USD delivered to Sweden which is only 241euro but with paypal it's 247. ffs like. whores.

Anyway, reports when I get it.

nom nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I had someone on holidays in America pick on up for me......

.....after talking to them im quite sure they've bought one of the old 8GB or 16GB Zune models though :pac: They thought they had gotten me a great bargain as well, after me telling them what it would cost :pac:

Hadn't the heart to tell them cos they'd have gone out of their way to pick it up. I'll have to stick it on ebay or summat, can't see anyone buying one of those though. :(

Oh well, no Zune HD for me anyhow.. Enjoy yours whoever gets one :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

right... so is it worth the buy then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 superdoor

Hey, I have a 30gb Zune and have been using the old zune software for ages....its great!

However recently i updated the software to the new Zune HD software. At first i was impressed with all the new cool gadgets but for some reason it has created a double of all my tracks.....I've all my music saved in one Music Folder and its the only folder the Zune has access to so i don't know why its creating these doubles. Also it won't let me delete any of the copies!!!

Sorry if this reply is off topic but anyone had the same problem? Or know how i can fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Reviews look excellent so far i must say .......
    So can a current zune owner explain to me the zune market pass ?
    You can listen to any music but you dont actually own it or you cant put it on your mp3 device , you get only 10 songs a month you actually own is that about right?
    Can you purchase music as you please then ?

superdoor wrote: »
    Hey, I have a 30gb Zune and have been using the old zune software for ages....its great!

However recently i updated the software to the new Zune HD software. At first i was impressed with all the new cool gadgets but for some reason it has created a double of all my tracks.....I've all my music saved in one Music Folder and its the only folder the Zune has access to so i don't know why its creating these doubles. Also it won't let me delete any of the copies!!!

Sorry if this reply is off topic but anyone had the same problem? Or know how i can fix it?
    afaik there's an option to hide/display duplicate tracks somewhere in the software.

Try removing the folder from the zune monitor list then remove all the music and add teh folder again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 superdoor

Tried that! Right now I've removed all the folders Zune gets it's music files from and no difference. Like I removed the folder and told it to delete any files from that folder but nothing happened....I pressed ok went back into my collection and everything was still there....Doubled up and undeletable as ever!

I'm considering just finding the old software and re installing it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Even weirder was what happened to me when I installed the new HD software, it did some messing around with 'updating collection' or something, and then when it was finished i took it (80gb 2nd gen) out of the laptop and plugged it into some speakers, playing random tracks. The first thing that came up was an album cover of Rhianna's and the songs were named after some of her sh1t, and the album was called bonus tracks or something. The strange thing was that it was an album by aphex twin, 'melodies from mars' that was actually playing. Now, i've never even rubbed one out over Rhianna, let alone downloaded or listened to her music on my laptop, so i think there must be some kind of auto-identify and rename feature built into the new software. anyone else having bizarre renaming issues?

Well, as I said on the other page, I asked someone to bring one back from the US for me, but I suspected they'd gotten an old Zune because when I talked to them they said it was only $169........

But its teh ZuneHD alright :D Will have a play of it this evening..

If i was buying it myself id have gotten the 32GB, but cos it was a favour and they were busy I just said get whatever you can find (they are selling out quickly in shops).

16GB for around €115, not bad :pac:

Well, as I said on the other page, I asked someone to bring one back from the US for me, but I suspected they'd gotten an old Zune because when I talked to them they said it was only $169........

If i was buying it myself id have gotten the 32GB, but cos it was a favour and they were busy I just said get whatever you can find (they are selling out quickly in shops).

jammy git :p

€247 is what mine is costing from ebay; will have it in a couple of weeks.

Well ive played around with it for a bit now, and I have to say, it's awesome.....for music.

Sounds great, and the fancy UI is very cool. All the stuff like artist biographies and discographies is very well done. Scrolling through albums and stuff is perfect, no issues with the touchscreen (except smudges :pac:).

The web browser is pretty sh1t (very slow), but I don't know why you'd want to browse the web on a 3.3" screen anyhow. The wi-fi connection doesnt seem particularly useful yet - you can sync wirelessly, but only from the PC itself, and its woeful slow compared to a cable. You cant do anything fancy like stream music/videos or browse network folders. I could do that on my crappy old Archos so its a bit strange theres no uPnP on it. Also, connecting to my network is pretty hit and miss.

The screen looks amazing, ive seen OLEDs before so no surprises there. Inky blacks and really vivid colours, plus basically no change in the image from any angle. Unfortunately the colour settings for video playback are way out of whack and can't be adjusted. Its like they put the saturation way the up to impress n00bs in shops, and the darkness way down. Tbh, 3.3" is too small (for me) to be a regular video player.

The device itself is lovely, very solid and nicely made. Pity there's no hardware buttons for volume though. The metal on the back is kind of brownish rather than black though (unless im going blind! :D) so I reckon the 32GB version probably looks cooler.

Theres doesnt seem to be any apps available to me, probably a region thing.

Radio works nicely. Although theres some weird US station names showing up for Irish stations. KGVC COUNTRY etc :pac:

Pretty sweet all-in. Cost me less than an 8GB Nano so happy days :D

Well, I managed to get into the marketplace and download some apps. Doesnt take a hacking genius, just changed my location (in Windows control panel) to the US. :rolleyes:

Nothing much there (yet), just a few crappy games and a weather app, but they download and install fine without any fancy proxy or IP tricks. Seen somebody talk about registry hacks but I certainly didn't need them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I officially hate you:mad:
    Ah no, you're alright, i just want your Zune...NOW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Any US websites shipping these to Ireland? cant use Paypal

\o/

Mine arrived to work on friday but I was out sick last week; just picked it up this morning.

No unpacking pics sadly this time but wow is it a gorgeous looking piece of kit.

More info as I get to play with it :)

first impressions;

god damn the UI is **** hot and the screen is beautiful;

dev itself weighs nothing compared to the old 80gb I have.

Plugged it in to sync some music...

Now my work laptop is only running Vista SP1 so some of my probs may be related to that..

there is a v4.1 firmware update for the HD, fine and dandy I say. The player updates, and restarts as a good lil dev does :) but the zune software sat on the 'stage3 applying update' screen. left it a good 10 mins before unplugging the zune and killing the software process.

bare in mind I'd watched the HD player restart after the fw upgrade and it was up and running. The software had just froze. Even checking the settings on the HD showed the fw was v4.1 :/

Plugged back in zune and software fired up and zune was showing as connected. Tried to sync some albums but dragging them to the device icon did nothing.

Restarted the sw a few times and no sync-ing :(

Unplugged zune, did a power off/on and back in and hey presto, I just sync'd 30 albums a few mins ago.

Hopefully it was just teething problems (or SP1 cos my main rig has SP2 and soon to be win7).

Oh, and the sync cable is the same as the second gen zune. Always handy to have a spare (until I sell my 80gb that is, damn fine piece of kit tho :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A mate went to the states today so hopefully he will bring one back for me :) I still have the original Zune and it is by far the best MP3 player I have had - even bought a 32GB touch to replace it and ended up selling that on soon after.

• Advertisement

What's teh situation using the radio here in Europe? I know we don't have
    the HD radio here but does it have regular FM radio?

radio works fine up in sweden, shouldnt be a problem at home.

also, vol no longer stops at 20 :) I thought my hearing was going cos a 10 on the hd was different to a 10 on the second gen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

How is the battery life, my Zune 80 can play around 3/4 hours of video(2 movies) and music is 10/12 hours. Also does anyone know if there will be a 64GB version anytime soon?

How is the battery life, my Zune 80 can play around 3/4 hours of video(2 movies) and music is 10/12 hours. Also does anyone know if there will be a 64GB version anytime soon?
    testing the battery today from ~full charge. Should get me thru the work day anyway running non-stop so I'll throw up a result tonight I guess.

don't have any videos

21+ hours of ~ non-stop play, 7gb of music on random, volume was between 5 & 12 during the work day, equalizer was off, I let it run over night as well.

I have still a nice little bit of battery left so take from that what you want :)

oh, and I fail :( I left my TWO sync cables in the hotel. ****. Guess I may make do with WMP11.

I'm finding the Zune player very very heavy on resources (during my work day but my laptop is a bit crap to be running a lot of java apps and the zune sw)

Just got the low battery warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

hey guys, hoping to get peoples advice on this please, ive being an ipod/iphone man for a long time but stumbled across the Zune hd and its looks class, im really tempted i must say..ive being doing alot of research online and getting very conflicting reports for how well these work out in uk and ireland..can people please clarify for me their own expierences with the following..

1.Wats the story with the zune marketplace? can u def not subscribe to the music plan they have on offer and can u def not download videos etc etc?? i dont have an xbox by the way..some people claim there is a work around but dont go into details..wondering cud someone confirm whether the marketplace is accessible or not?

2. How does the radio hold up in ireland? are you able to tag songs from the radio and download them or again being outside usa is a no go..

I would really appreciate if any1 confirm or deny the questions above, cheers

If you change your location (in Windows Control Panel) to the US you can get into the marketplace. I downloaded apps and podcasts no problem, but didn't try any paid content, not interested in that personally.

Although there is only literally 5 or 6 apps anyway. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

cheers for the reply..ya i heard about changing those settings alright but it was actually the paid content i was interested in? can any1 confirm if theres a work around to download music and the likes from the zune marketplace here in ireland?

also as all my music is on itunes, i am putting a work on myself getting a zune as itunes is not compatible with other players?

any feedback is very much appreciated?

you can download the zune software; you need this to sync music to your zune.

the zune scene forums or the like might have a work around for drag and drop on the new zunes but I can't comment on if/how it works.

• Advertisement
Advertisement