Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overgrown hedgerow border, What to do.

Options
  • 15-09-2009 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey All,

Im looking for ideas about how best to manage my existing borders. My garden is approx 3/4 acres and is approx 200 ft in length. It has old established hedgerows running down the lenght of it on both sides. There are existing access lanes on either side that are not maintained so both sides are badly overgrown and look very untidy. The existing borders consist of old large tree stumps (approx 2 Ft across), Brambles, Ivy, hawthorn etc.

I have started getting in and cutting back on my side as much as I can, (not an easy job) but long term I am wondering how best to manage them. Ideally I would get the borders to a tidy, manageable state to preserve the natural hedgerow. I have seen other posts mentioning Layering, etc but I think the first thing I need to do is take out the tree stumps, they are no longer growing but are still very solid.

Does anyone have expeirience of removing large tree stumps, what is the best way of getting them out, how long will a chemical solution take, can they be cut down and burned out, is this legal?

Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement