Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Baby Name Websites

• 15-09-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    My boyfriend and i are due our first baby in November. We've names picked for a girl, but cant settle on a boys name. Weve googled websites but all the names we get are very American, or english, like Harry, Charles etc. No problems with them names just dosnt really suit us. If anone has used a good website before could you post link please. Were wathing the credits on movies and programmes trying to find some:):)
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

I don't have a website but...How I got my girls name.. I asked a couple of younger cousins to name girls/boys out of their class and got it from there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

This might be of some help to you ...........

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055337887

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

Its not really a website but its the cso pdf (just google it) is really good cos it has the top 100 names from 2008-2003/2 I think. I doesnt have the meanings but its good to see the most popular and to get ideas :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Keep a look out for the Pregnancy magazines, they quite often come with a baby name book. I think there is one out at the minute with a name book but I can't remember which it is :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

A book of Irish myths and legends could throw up some interesting names. Are there any interesting names in your families' past? Some people give their children their maiden name, or the grandmother's maiden name as a first name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

deemark wrote: »
    Some people give their children their maiden name, or the grandmother's maiden name as a first name.

really? Like calling their kid Whelan or Doherty because it was their mother's maiden name? That seems cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Maybe try this one:

http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/

If you click on the name and then the "considering this name" tab there is some info from people who already have that name (like if they were bullied because of it or not, etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

ebmma wrote: »
    really? Like calling their kid Whelan or Doherty because it was their mother's maiden name? That seems cruel.

Obviously, only certain names suit this e.g. Bradley, Russell, Kerry (for Kerr), Colin (Collins), Ryan....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭dosed

In my opinion the best baby name site is www.behindthename.com.

It's really the only one I would trust to have correct background/meaning for names. Also it makes it clear when a name is modern and made up, wheres a lot of the other sites try to claim that the super cool hip name has a history and a country of origin when it dosn't at all.

It has different sections for names from different countries, biblical names, mythology names etc etc

Advertisement