Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car Advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Think as a starting point you should decide if you want/need a petrol or a diesel car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Anyone who spells Alfa as "Alpha" should't be allowed drive one anyway ...so you're down to the Merc or Beemer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭techdiver

Think as a starting point you should decide if you want/need a petrol or a diesel car.

I'm on the fence really on that one. It wouldn't be of the highest importance on my list.

Suppose I'm leaning slightly towards petrol, but reading up on certain models such as the Alpha it was claimed that the petrol model is very thirsty....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I'm by no means an authority on cars like other posters here but just on my personal opinion:

Mercedes have given their C class a bit of a face lift in late 07 which looks marginally nicer, so this 05 model will get the "old model" excuse if you look to sell/trade in the future.

Alfa GT would be my choice every time on looks but alfa still have the label of being unreliable (although i think since the 156 they have been pretty stable) and so resales tend to suffer due to this perception.

Bmws just don't excite me at all. A lot of my mothers golfing friends drive 3 series coupes and their average age is mid 60 (i'm sure there are younger people who drive them, that's just my experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If you're 70 and you wet yourself regularly, the Merc's a good option. If depreciation doesn't bother you, the Alfa will be a great car to own and have fun in. The BMW is okay too, but there's lots on the road, so make sure it's what you want.

How about an Audi A5? You'd be able to spec one with lots of equipment to make it a bit more refined than the standard model, and IMHO, they're one of the best looking cars on the road at the moment.

• Advertisement

If you're 70 and you wet yourself regularly, the Merc's a good option. If depreciation doesn't bother you, the Alfa will be a great car to own and have fun in. The BMW is okay too, but there's lots on the road, so make sure it's what you want.

How about an Audi A5? You'd be able to spec one with lots of equipment to make it a bit more refined than the standard model, and IMHO, they're one of the best looking cars on the road at the moment.

I absolutely love the look of the A5, in fact it would be my first choice, but they are a bit pricey at the moment. I'm only looking at the €20K mark. I have to wait a few years for that price to become possible.

I'm not 70 either, but have been known to wet myself...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Whoops, never clicked on your links, so I didn't know your budget. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

I changed from a BMW 320CI (older E46 model) to an Alfa GT diesel recently. So far I'm very happy with the GT, but a full 12 month warranty really is a must.

Merc is a beautiful machine but not a drivers car.

What do you guys think of the Mazda RX-8? One like this:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/RX-8/192PS-To/200904191562515/advert?channel=CARS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Alfa or BMW!

That RX-8 is overpriced and underpowered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Go for the Alfa GT, it's one of the sexiest cars on the road! And the 1.9 JTD is supposed to be savage.

Go for the Alfa GT, it's one of the sexiest cars on the road! And the 1.9 JTD is supposed to be savage.
    Screw that. you'll land this for €16,500 inc travel. And look at the spec!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

steve06 wrote: »

Hmm you might just be on to something....:eek:

They'll deal in € so offer €12k - VRT is €4,127 boat is €100, flight is about €30, then food and petrol!

Bargain of the century! I'm almost tempted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

steve06 wrote: »

yeah but your overheads (insurance/tax) will be much higher with the 3.2 litre
    The 1.9 alfa diesel engine has always been a good choice and reviewers generally prefer it over the petrol engines or the 2.4 jtd

However if you don't care about the engine size, then you'd get this for 20k i'm sure

As for the rx-8 when it first came out i saw loads of mammies in supermarket carparks fishing the kids out of the back with the suicide doors so it wouldn't be my cup of tea.

What about this Peugeot 307 ? Seems insanely well specced

Hi,

Just to let you know I eventually went for the 2006 Alfa Brera 2.2 JTS. It was between that and an RX-8 and running costs and insurance swung it for the Alfa.

I much preferred it to the GT as it felt more solid and seems to have better build quality. It also, in my opinion, looks better. I know some will disagree with me.

Advertisement