Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland doesn't have speed cameras, right?

• 15-09-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Ireland doesn't have speed cameras, right? I've never seen any, or seen any signs for any.

Is there any reason they'd have to bring them in. Someone told me they'd need to bring in a new law to bring them in, and that there could be constitutial issues aswell. Any truth behind that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

ceret wrote: »
    Ireland doesn't have speed cameras, right? I've never seen any, or seen any signs for any.

Is there any reason they'd have to bring them in. Someone told me they'd need to bring in a new law to bring them in, and that there could be constitutial issues aswell. Any truth behind that?

Far as I know the law was passed and it's only a matter of time before the cash cows..i mean speed cameras... are implemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

There are a small number of fixed speed cameras around the country.
    There's one southbound on the M1 (past the Dunleer junction I think), a few on the N3 in both directions. There were a few on the old N2 also but I've not been on that road in a while.

Anyone think of any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

there used to be one on the N4 (inbound) opposite the Spa hotel in Lucan...but that went when they started digging up the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There used to be three on the R132, there's only one box left now. One of them was moved to the M50N between the Tallaght and Ballymount junction early on in the roadworks.

There also used to be one on the M50 approaching the M1 junction and another under the R108 junction bridges.

The cops also have mobile speed cameras, you'll find out where when the picture of your front reg drops through your letterbox...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

Saw a sign for them on M50 southbound just after exit 14 and just before the "60" zone changes back to 120. Tried having a look but couldn't see any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

There are a few fixed ones, check out our site www.irishspeedtraps.com. The government have been planing for an additional 300 for years now but still no sign of any progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

There's one on the N3 south before Fairyhouse roundabout but doesn't seem to be operational. There's no advance warning signs for it in place any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

There's one on the M1 Southbound near Dunleer, one on the R132 (old N1) Southbound on the way into Drogheda and one on the Dundalk Inner Relief Road (old N1). Those last two may have gone in the last few years though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Thankfully the privatization of Speed Detection Cameras has been somewhat sidetracked following some...erm....difficulties with the tendering process...;)

Given the inherent crookedness of our major Government Party it`s probably likely that the "Most Favoured" tenderer could`nt achieve a high enough "Credit Rating" to fill the depth of trough which required filling....... :eek:

Anybody following the Liveline Private Wheelclamping topic last week will get a feel for what it`s going to be like on your local National Route if the likes of Dempsey,Cullen and O`Donoghue have any say in it !!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭rameire

A Doozer wrote: »
    Saw a sign for them on M50 southbound just after exit 14 and just before the "60" zone changes back to 120. Tried having a look but couldn't see any.

that one was taken down a long time ago,

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are a small number of fixed speed cameras around the country.
    There's one southbound on the M1 (past the Dunleer junction I think), a few on the N3 in both directions. There were a few on the old N2 also but I've not been on that road in a while.

Anyone think of any more?

Thats definitely broken/out of action tonight, forgot it was there and... no flash.

M3 ones and M2 ones all appear to be smashed/burnt to bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

MYOB wrote: »
    Thats definitely broken/out of action tonight, forgot it was there and... no flash.

M3 ones and M2 ones all appear to be smashed/burnt to bits.

It hasn't been flashing in a long time as far as I can tell.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

i dno if its fixed or not but my ma has been caught doin 78 in a 60 zone just before the Red Cow Interchange on the N7. She got a photo of the car and number-plate in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

dannym08 wrote: »
    i dno if its fixed or not but my ma has been caught doin 78 in a 60 zone just before the Red Cow Interchange on the N7. She got a photo of the car and number-plate in the post?

It's not fixed but a well known location for the boys in blue to set up their mobile traps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

There is a Gatso couple miles south of Kells, they have fixed it a couple of times but it always gets burnt out within 2 - 3 days of it being fixed. I don't it lasted 24 hours last time around....

If you are up that way someone has also done a nice job on the News of the World / Bertie Ahern poster.... priceless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

Keep an eye out for white ford transit vans at the airport roundabout, a favourite spot for the mobile brigade...

Advertisement