Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom suite - repaint

Options
  • 15-09-2009 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Guys, currently finishing off a refurb of the house and would like to paint the orginal bathroom suite. Its a older suite but enamelled cast iron and in great condition. Anyone know who does the painting of these around connaught ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rosebill

Hello
    About idea for repainting bathroom suite, have friend who had her bathroom suite repainted twice within approx 5 years and it just did not work out. Her bath is just dirty looking no matter how much she and I cleaned it (believe me, we really spent time on it just lately trying to clean it up and no matter what we did, it still just looks dirty). I also know someone else who got this job done before, mind you it was a good few years ago and used a different company, and her bath just didn't look white after a while either. They look really great at first but just look dirty after a few months. Both baths are cast iron. Sorry to be bearer of bad news. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

painting a bath works fine. Dont know any down your way but renu bath give a good guarantee. 10 years if memory serves me correctly,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Thanks guys, looked at the refurb guys but they are only dublin based.. Could you let me know there tag lines to see if anyone is in the golden pages ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Got the following numbers for anyone who might be interested.

Dolan : 0724237972
    MD Bath : 0872423797
    Perma Glaze : 0863843959

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Rang around before I was put in a new bathroom suite a few years to price getting the old cast iron bath re-enamelled. Not many doing it but was up to a grand if not more as far as I recall that I was quoted from the few who did:eek:. In the end I went with an acrylic one but the cast iron bath tubs were around the same price to buy new as getting one re-enamelled.

Could you simply paint one though?

• Advertisement

Could you simply paint one though?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

No.

Thats what I was kinda thinking alright. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Curious George but it ain't by any means cheap to re-enamel them. Think the quotes I was getting at the time were around the same as the prices of new cast iron bath tubs if not a little over for that matter. Memory ain't fantastic with me but think it was only firms in Dublin that were in the phone book. Perhaps there may be more establishments doing this type of work that are ex directory. The support legs in mine were badly rusted also so when I heards the prices I decided to replace it. Having said that though the older ones are built to last and something tells me the newer cast iron baths wouldn't even hold a candle to them. It took myself and three strong relatives to lift the cast iron bath tub and we were winded after it! I myself was pretty much able to lift the acrylic one with one hand:P

Thats what I was kinda thinking alright. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Curious George but it ain't by any means cheap to re-enamel them. Think the quotes I was getting at the time were around the same as the prices of new cast iron bath tubs if not a little over for that matter. Memory ain't fantastic with me but think it was only firms in Dublin that were in the phone book. Perhaps there may be more establishments doing this type of work that are ex directory. The support legs in mine were badly rusted also so when I heards the prices I decided to replace it. Having said that though the older ones are built to last and something tells me the newer cast iron baths wouldn't even hold a candle to them. It took myself and three strong relatives to lift the cast iron bath tub and we were winded after it! I myself was pretty much able to lift the acrylic one with one hand:P

Its cheaper to buy a pressed steel bath than reenamel a cast iron bath yes, but the plumbing etc will end up making it more expensive to buy the new bath.

Unless your good with pex and making boxing.

Advertisement