Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stepping up saying no :)

Options
  • 15-09-2009 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Back story is I gave up meat a year and a half ago for lent and never really missed it so I've stayed away from it
    Been still eating fish but was just thinking over the last hour I rarely eat it so why not cut it out altogether.

Thing is I didn't give up meat for ethical reasons just as a little challenge to myself and I've really enjoyed cooking with new things.
    And the more I read about it the idea of being veggie makes me feel warm and fuzzy from an environmental and happy animal point of view.
    Down sides are shopping takes longer, trouble getting stuff in restaurants and I can't resist trying new veggie products when I see them in shops :)

The reason I'm posting is even though I can't imagine I'll miss it much, my minds racing about it and I had to tell someone :D

Would be nice to hear if anyone's thinking of going veggie, vegan or cutting out eggs, dairy etc and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

glad you are getting those warm fuzzy feelings :) i'm a vegan myself and don't think i'll be cutting anything new out of my diet. i guess to just try to buy produce with recyclable packaging, so the one thing i hate is buying is crisps cause i have to throw the foil packaging in the bin :( but i guess crisps just wouldn't last without the foil packaging... anyhow, i'm rambling on here... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Gosh I should be worrying about packaging too, will this never end ;)

I make tofu salt and vinegar crisps sometimes with leftover tofu.
    I can type up a little how to, if you want a salty treat without the foil packets:)

i can't imagine what tofu salt and vinegar crisps look like! I'd love to hear about them. And if you have a photo :) mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Mary-Ellen wrote: »
    Gosh I should be worrying about packaging too, will this never end ;)

I make tofu salt and vinegar crisps sometimes with leftover tofu.
    I can type up a little how to, if you want a salty treat without the foil packets:)

Yeah I'm with sweetrasmus here. Stick up the recipe and a pic if you have one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

I don't think it's the same thing but I gave up Guinness when it was sold off the a multinational Diageo, it's no longer about the great pint but profit margin and marketability. I do get a warm fuzzy feeling but I think that's because I've switched to whiskey instead..:D:D

It's always good to hear stories about someone that gives meat up and feels good about it, I hope we can all give you the virtual hug of acceptance and love for you'r good deed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

As promised: Tofu crisps :D

Ingredients

Enought oil to cover the bottom of the frying pan/wok
    Firm tofu (drained) and sliced thinly

Whatever flavouring you like eg.
    Salt and vinegar, onion or garlic salt, paprika, or you could use smoked tofu for bacon style ones

Heat the oil in the pan on a medium heat until hot
    Add slices on tofu but don't overcrowd the pan and only one layer (better to do 2 batches than over crowd it)
    After about a minute, when crispy and golden brown turn over
    When done on both sides leave on some kitchen towel or a wire rack to cool and crisp up
    Add flavouring and eat

They don't keep well so must be eaten straight away :D And provided you don't go over board with the salt (as I do :P), a healthy enough, high protein low carb snackie.

Picture may be added after the weekend if I get tempted

ooohhhh thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Tofu crisps sound seriously odd but I'm edf gonna give em a go.
    Alternatively I make curly kale crisps by making up a dressing of olive oil, salt and balsamic viegar ( add citric acid from the chemist and/or msg from a chinese shop if you want a real crisp hit but don't tell anyone I told you bout it cos it doesn't look good for a future nutritionist do these things) and dress curly kale in it and palce in a thin on a baking tray in a really hot oven until crispy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tofu crisps sound seriously odd but I'm edf gonna give em a go.
    Alternatively I make curly kale crisps by making up a dressing of olive oil, salt and balsamic viegar ( add citric acid from the chemist and/or msg from a chinese shop if you want a real crisp hit but don't tell anyone I told you bout it cos it doesn't look good for a future nutritionist do these things) and dress curly kale in it and palce in a thin on a baking tray in a really hot oven until crispy.
    You're in no position to talk :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 RogerYates

smegmar wrote: »
    I don't think it's the same thing but I gave up Guinness when it was sold off the a multinational Diageo, it's no longer about the great pint but profit margin and marketability. I do get a warm fuzzy feeling but I think that's because I've switched to whiskey instead..:D:D

It's always good to hear stories about someone that gives meat up and feels good about it, I hope we can all give you the virtual hug of acceptance and love for you'r good deed

Another problem with Guinness is that it is not vegan (or vegetarian). They use the bladders of fishes in the brewing process - although it is taken out of the end product.

This resource may be useful: http://www.barnivore.com/

RY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

the Guinness Foreign Export stuff is veggie but tastes like muck

i never heard that before. must listen out more, out of curiosity. not interested in tasting the stuff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Mary-Ellen wrote: »
    Would be nice to hear if anyone's thinking of going veggie, vegan or cutting out eggs, dairy etc and why?

hehe, back on topic (though im gonna try those tofu crisps).

i went veggie a couple years ago after seeing a programme on the way animals are kept in many farms, and the conditions shocked me. of course, being the poor student, all the meat i ate anyway was the cheapest of the cheap so you just know it was probably the worst offender. so i made the decision to only eat organic/free range meat. and then realised that i can't afford that :pac: so i decided to try being veggie for a while, and challenged myself (lots of eating disorders/issues) to have to try new foods and expand my eating habits in a healthy manner. loved it.

now, im in the process of turning vegan. slooooowwwly weaning myself off dairy and eggs, trying to do it slowly, my body's been through a lot lately and doesnt need any more sudden changes.

i held on to fish for a while, but realised, like yourself, that i rarely eat it anyway. best of luck with any decisions you make hereon in :)

Advertisement