Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer screen power from atx power supply

Options
  • 15-09-2009 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi gang,
    Im in the process of building a mp3 jukebox and i was wondering if it is possible to run the computer screen power from the atx power supply for the motherboard. I have the box built for my jukebox and i only wanted one power supply coming out of the back of it. Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What kind of/size screen are we talking here? Most commercial monitors have a built-in PSU to satisfy their modest requirements. Unfortunately most of the basic power-up functions are tied into the power board so even if the screen and its logic ran on either pure 5V or 12V simply ripping out the board could leave the power button etc. inoperable and the monitor dead unless you built a workaround.

Of course, if we're talking about using a smaller screen that usually runs off 12V and has an external power brick for running off mains (or none if its a car screen) then you could probably splice up a Molex>dipole connector if you knew what lead went where (I don't think anyone sells them).

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭kingofbeers

I have'nt got a screen yet but looking at getting a 15" touch screen.(btw if anyone knows where i could buy a 15" touchscreen for fairly cheap it would be great).

I've only seen them around €150 and up, sans p&p :( 15" is a horrid size as its so rare; you don't see them in consumer systems any more, only in industrial and POS applications which allows sellers to write themselves a blank cheque with the pricing :o 12" is a little better (€100-120) but the resolution is usually naff on the cheaper units (800*600).

Problem is, as the size heads toward 22" it gets more popular, but the cost of the touch matrix increases with area. And AFAIK most screens over 9" run off 230V (i.e. they have a power board you have to work around).

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

OP, can you not split the 230V power cord inside the box? I mean, the cord from the outlet would disappear into the box, then make a Y to PSU and screen.

That'd be the way to go if its not a 12V model... depends on what's affordable and small/light enough yet clear enough to do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

There are some PSUs with an extra connection on the outside, that is the reverse of the normal kettle plug, so with the right cable, you could run a monitor off that type of PSU.

Would mean getting another PSU though, and I don't know where you'd get them, or what you'd search to find them. If I see one, I'll post a pic.

EDIT: would look like the right hand side of this pic:

http://www.epiacenter.com/pictures/reviews/mappit/rear.jpg

EDIT 2: http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.allsave.net/computer_parts/psu/350w_atx_power_supply_p4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.allsave.net/computer_parts/psu/atx_power_supply_350w.htm&usg=__xwiPBjH6yc_WbZmh2pLGh-B_vVY=&h=300&w=300&sz=28&hl=en&start=32&um=1&tbnid=mrOYQaoSs6AaQM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpsu%2Bpower%2Bmonitor%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20%26um%3D1

A better idea would be to find an affordable "pass-through" kettle-cord (t-shaped connector goes into the PSU with spur cable going to monitor and the system cord plugs in the rear).

Downside is I have no idea what they're called technically nor where to purchase one. Mine came with my old Fujitsu...

Advertisement