Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which language to learn?

Options
  • 15-09-2009 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

I am adept at scripting in perl and have a decent understanding of C. I will soon be writing software for interacting with flash. The framework i will be using has a driver for C++, Ruby, Java and Python. Can anyone suggest which language I should learn next? They all have certain things going for them. For example Java is better for portability. If they can get a Java virtual machine to run on a Microwave, your code will be able to run without much tweaking. I have looked at ruby, but wasnt really mad about the syntax. It looked too complicated considering its a scripting language.

BTW I will be deveopng on a linux machine mostly.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

For example Java is better for portability.
    Write once, debug everywhere? :pac:

Personally, I'd say Python, but that's just me.
    It'll be a personal decision if this is just for you; if it's for the project, learn what the project requires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Sparks wrote: »
    Write once, debug everywhere? :pac:

Personally, I'd say Python, but that's just me.
    It'll be a personal decision if this is just for you; if it's for the project, learn what the project requires.

Well it will be just for now. So I can pick what I want to do.

Can you give me some reasons why python might be best?

Thanks

syklops wrote: »
    Can you give me some reasons why python might be best?
    You realise this is nearly a religious question for some people, right? Just sayin'...

python.png

My first day or two with Python

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You realise this is nearly a religious question for some people, right? Just sayin'...

python.png

My first day or two with Python

So thats 2 votes for python. A language I had been leaning towards anyway...

Anyone else?

Um, that's only one vote...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Um, that's only one vote...
    You and the author of XKCD

Advertisement