Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rubberbandits? love/hate?

Options
  • 15-09-2009 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭

Seeing as there are a lot of comedians here, what do ye fine people with comedic sensibilities think of The Rubberbandits?

They really are a love them/hate them comedy duo. Amongst my friends, I'm in the minority in that I think they are exceptionally good. They are edgy, surreal and very observant as they've been doing comedy (inadvertently) from a very young age. I know they use a lot of Limerick colloquialisms but in my opinion the comedy translates even if you're not familiar with the area. Their prank calls were done while in their mid teens and they still really hold up to this day.

In the last 2 years they've moved onto the comedy hip-hop circuit and have shared a stage with the legendary Ice Cube. Songs like Bag of Glue and Up Da Ra, are not only hillarious but hold up well as songs in their own right.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

There's a comedy hip hop circuit?

I think they are brilliant anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

....was at their gig in the academy last night...found them hillarious!!kinna knew what to expect from spending 4 yrs in limerick at college....some people at the gig (especially some girls!) didnt know what to make of them but their show was actually fairly professional and well put together....
    hardy bucks were a bit of a let-down...they seem to have believed their a lot ot their own hype and just kept repeating cathphrases to rally the crowd...overall great gig though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

slickmcvic wrote: »
    ....was at their gig in the academy last night...found them hillarious!!kinna knew what to expect from spending 4 yrs in limerick at college....some people at the gig (especially some girls!) didnt know what to make of them but their show was actually fairly professional and well put together....
    hardy bucks were a bit of a let-down...they seem to have believed their a lot ot their own hype and just kept repeating cathphrases to rally the crowd...overall great gig though!

I thought the bandits gig was spectacular. You're right about some of the females there. they seemed to have forgotten it was a comedy gig so in between the songs and when they were doin their skits, there was a lot of chatter from girls in front of me.
    Met the Hardy Bucks boys in whelans the night before the gig, nice bunch of lads but they were saying they were very nervous about the live show, as they aren't a live act and apologised in advance. The show shambolic but there were a few laughs. It would have been a disaster though if they were on after the bandits...then it would have been a let down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 iercepa

apparently the Hardy Bucks went down a storm in their Galway gig the following wkd so they must be improving. the bandits were pretty good. the "up the ra" tune is hilarious.
    i find that some people talk through nearly every gig i go to in Dublin, not just the bandits. bloody annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

iercepa wrote: »
    apparently the Hardy Bucks went down a storm in their Galway gig the following wkd so they must be improving.

Ya i seen footage of it on youtube, The Viper made an appearance. Enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

Sorry to bump an old thread but I think they're are hilarious. There aren't too many things that make me laugh when no-ones around but the rubber bandits do.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

Amazing group, can't wait to see them again. Epic stuff.:D:):cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sleepybleepy

The Rubber Bandits are coming to Athlone town at the end of the month, the 30th of October, for Blackbox Telly. Tickets available this friday the 15th of October between 7 & 9pm in the Passionfruit Theatre, Athlone. Some links from previous episodes of Blackbox Telly are below.. Tickets are 20 euro's and are limited to 60 in number..
    Intimate, all seater gig with the men of the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHsq20yFJ64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PetIXk7DSyc&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 itchy_sack

they are terrible on the republic of telly anyway. havent seen there other stuff. maybe its limerick humour. i hate karl spain too. maybe there is just nothing funny comin out of limerick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

itchy_sack wrote: »
    they are terrible on the republic of telly anyway. havent seen there other stuff. maybe its limerick humour. .

Agreed. Having only seen their RoT stuff, I don't like them at all. The odd laugh out loud moment but far more misses than hits :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Their spot on Republic of Telly isnt great, but their songs are great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4ure_GSHw&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭cuculainn

iercepa wrote: »
    apparently the Hardy Bucks went down a storm in their Galway gig the following wkd so they must be improving. the bandits were pretty good. the "up the ra" tune is hilarious.
    i find that some people talk through nearly every gig i go to in Dublin, not just the bandits. bloody annoying

Can't agree with that.......Hardy Bucks were a big let down........Rubberbandits are deadly though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

itchy_sack wrote: »
    they are terrible on the republic of telly anyway. havent seen there other stuff. maybe its limerick humour. i hate karl spain too. maybe there is just nothing funny comin out of limerick.

They are the only good thing about "The Republic of Telly". People probably don't like them because they are from Limerick, or that they prefer a more highbrow humour and look down on the likes of Tommy Tiernan. :rolleyes:

PS. I forgot to mention:
    If you don't like them, you can fcuk off back to Cork :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

or that they prefer a more highbrow humour and look down on the likes of Tommy Tiernan. :rolleyes:

People look down on Tommy Tiernan because he's wasted what comedic talent he had (and he was excellent when he first became big) and has descended into a shouty, sweary "storyteller" who has lost the wit, sharpness and insight he once had.

Nothing to do with him being lowbrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Their spot on Republic of Telly isnt great, but their songs are great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY4ure_GSHw&feature=related

No where near as good as Goldie Lookin Chain!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,161 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There excellent live with DJ Willy O'Dea on the decks:)

This is comedy gold

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lloyderz

Hate them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Lloyderz wrote: »
    Hate them!

Why would you hate them? How could you not find Too many Gee or Bags of Glue funny. The lyrics are hilarious and they do spot on piss takes of knackers.

samsemtex wrote: »
    Why would you hate them? How could you not find Too many Gee or Bags of Glue funny. The lyrics are hilarious and they do spot on piss takes of knackers.

Some people have no sense of humour

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The only stuff I've seen from the Rubber Bandits was a few TV spots they've done criticising the X-Factor (they actually came across as being more fake than the X-Factor...) and I've heard the song 'Horse Outside' and didn't think much of it.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    The only stuff I've seen from the Rubber Bandits was a few TV spots they've done criticising the X-Factor (they actually came across as being more fake than the X-Factor...) and I've heard the song 'Horse Outside' and didn't think much of it.

They have loads of vids on youtube, they have been around for years but they were only really known around Limerick. It all depends on your sense of humour if you will like them or not though, but they must be doing something right to have Dara O'Brien singing their praises on Twitter.

Even if you don't like their commedy, I'd recommend watching Blindboy Boat Clup on LiveLine, he rips apart someone who was accusing them of glorifying the use of drugs around children. Link. If you listen to that and the lyrics of their songs you can't disagree that they are very very smart, despite what you think of their humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

(they actually came across as being more fake than the X-Factor...)

They wear plastic bags over their faces and rap in cartoony Limerick accents. Did you actually think they were trying to be genuine?

Fair enough if you don't get them but saying they're more fake than the X-Factor is such a lazy criticism that doesn't even apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Greatest load of ****e, unfunny, uninteresting and pointless

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

I love them! 'Horse Outside' is brilliant!!:D

They wear plastic bags over their faces and rap in cartoony Limerick accents. Did you actually think they were trying to be genuine?

Fair enough if you don't get them but saying they're more fake than the X-Factor is such a lazy criticism that doesn't even apply.

Actually I think it does apply somewhat. They are being portrayed as saving us from another banal X-factor cover as Christmas number #1 (whetehr tahtis tehir own doing or the media playing it up i'm not sure). People hate the X-factor because it's so fake. The Rubber Bandits, to me, come across as trying too hard to be different on the (granted brief) radio piece I listened to. It sort of reminds me of last years Rage Against the Machine campaign. Now I like Rage a lot, but I don't consider myself some sort of anarchist/distributor of justice for wanting to keep X-factor off the #1 spot.

Even if you don't like their commedy, I'd recommend watching Blindboy Boat Clup on LiveLine, he rips apart someone who was accusing them of glorifying the use of drugs around children. Link. If you listen to that and the lyrics of their songs you can't disagree that they are very very smart, despite what you think of their humour.

Haha, Duffy has no clue.
    Actually, 'Blindboy' tears that 'Andrew' lad apart. Vey impressive that he does so while staying in character. I'll watch the rest of it later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Actually I think it does apply somewhat.

Nah, it doesn't. The Rubberbandits themselves aren't championing themselves as fighting the X-Factor, that's other people saying that.

Just because a song is going for the Christmas #1 spot doesn't mean it's in a 'let's block the X-Factor' way.

So you're criticising them for not being something that they never claimed to be in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

My 18 yr old son thinks there terrific.

I think they're Okay. What I don't understand are the cranks who think they glorify drugs:confused:. Comedy often sets up those they lampoon (in this case, Irish/Limerick scumbags) by creating a world where they glorify them to reveal their horrible twisted logic and values. It's social commentery.... what's there not to understand???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

They're from Limerick, they wear masks, I don't want to know any more...

• Advertisement

Teclo wrote: »
    They're from Limerick, they wear masks, I don't want to know any more...

What a fantastic open minded view :rolleyes:

Your input into the thread has been very much appreciated...

Advertisement