Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chronis fatigue syndrome

Options
  • 15-09-2009 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i have cfs and i would like to know if there is anyone in my area ,,, waterford ,, kilkenny with the same condition , i find it hard to get information and support groups are only in dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

jacqui2210 wrote: »
    i have cfs and i would like to know if there is anyone in my area ,,, waterford ,, kilkenny with the same condition , i find it hard to get information and support groups are only in dublin
    It is not true to say that support groups are only in Dublin, just that the two national organisations, the Irish ME/CFS Association - for Information, Support & Research (Irish ME/CFS Association for short) and the Irish ME Trust have their addresses there.

For example, both the Galway City group and the Ballinasloe/Athlone group have held meetings this year.

Until fairly recently, there was a very active group in Waterford City. They hosted meetings with Dr Charles Shepherd (May 2005), Prof. Basant Puri (Sept 2005) and Dr. Jonathan Kerr (May 2006). The group leader had specific issues that meant she had to concentrate on them and had to put the group on hold. However the group may re-start especially with more interest.

Also, if you contact the Irish ME/CFS Association for a free info pack (info@irishmecfs.org or 01-2350965), you also get a copy of the enquirers' list which has over 100 first names and numbers of people throughout Ireland. Some people give their mobile number but most people give their landline so one can have a good idea where in the country they are.

If one joins the Association, one then gets a copy of the telephone network list. On this list people can give more detailed information about themselves so people can look out for people who are, for example, of a similar age, have similar interests, similar part of the country, etc. People also put their level of interest in having a local group in their area and their willingness to help set one up. People who join can also, of course, add their details to this list. The Association has approx 350 members spread throughout Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

kangaroo wrote: »
    Until very recently, there was a very active group in Waterford City. They hosted meetings with Dr Charles Shepherd (May 2005), Prof. Basant Puri (Sept 2005) and Dr. Jonathan Kerr (May 2006).
    IIRC, there were around 50 or so people at each of these meetings (not all the same). Not all were from Waterford City of course. Before these meetings, smaller meetings had been arranged in a pub and hotel.

Advertisement