Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless for desktop

Options
  • 15-09-2009 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I just bought a desktop and stupidly assumed wireless would be built in. I have a netgear modem and Bt broadband no where near this computer. Is there any way i can get a USB type device to use this wireless internet.

Thanks,

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

Yes indeed you can, the answer is in the question.

You need a Wireless USB adaptor. You can get them at pretty much all the PC stores. Prices range from €30 - €70.
    It sounds fairly dodge though that your 'new' PC does not have built in wireless. Is it actually new? Most PC's these day have built in wireless. You should check device manager for a wireless adaptor. If one is listed with a yellow exclamation mark then you have the technology, you just need to install the correct driver.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Yes as diver says its very easy to connect a usb wireless 'card' - If a usb extension lead is not included with the usb dongle make sure and buy one as it gives extra flexibility with positioning.

Advertisement