Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adjudication hearing with PRTB, what happens?

Options
  • 15-09-2009 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Apologies if I am in the wrong spot but I searched around and couldn't find what I am after.

A friend of mine is a landlord and has to go to an adjudication hearing with the prtb this week. He has never had to go to one of these before and was wondering has anyone been to one before and if so what actually happens? are the former tenants,who made the complaint,there at the same time? can they bring witnesses? can he bring witneses? just really what happens on the day?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is probably information on www.prtb.ie

I imagine its much like a mini court hearing, but usually held in a hotel or council conference room or similar.

Both sides can be represented, they present their side of the argument, backed up with any extra evidence they have. I imagine its done with less formality than a court case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

thanks for that. thats what i had thought it would be like but checked the prtb site and got more confused as they give the impression thats its all done confidentially so i got the impression that the adjudicator hears both sides in private and then considers a "verdict".

thanks for your thoughts anyway we wil find out for definate soon enough:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Been through it on the tenant side before myself.

Both parties are asked a whole load of mundane questions by the adjudicator. They seem rather pointless but i guess they need to cross the T s and dot the i s

You can bring witnesses or other people involved but it was just me and the landlord involved in my case.

Adjudicator then goes through whatever evidence and statements have been given and asks direct one way questions to each party. He makes notes and writes up a report which will take a few weeks/months for you to hear back about. You will hear nothing on the day.

It is a not a court, there is no cross exaimination or comebacks.I strongly suggest your friend does not attempt to interrupt or reply directly to the other party involved as the Adjudicator will come down rather sharpish on them. (Landlord tired it in my case and he ended up looking a right idiot).

Think of it as the Adj asking 2 parties what happened. They call the shots and the 2 parties do not speak to each other at all.

thanks so much for that:)

He was really worried it would turn into some kind of shouting match between them so ill let him know to only speak when spoken to!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Your friend will need to bring all documents including photographs with him. All witnesses should be present. Copies of the documents should be sent in advance to the adjudicator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

It is not intended to be adversarial and is generally conducted in a fair manner. The adjudicators are conscious that there may tensions within the room and do not allow either side to gain an upper hand. Towards the end of the hearing they may go back and forth between both parties to clarify certain issues and ensure that everybody is given a fair hearing.

Both sides are notified in advance who is attending including the presence of witnesses.

hi thanks for all the advice!

well the hearing went ahead yesterday it ended up being the adjudicator, the tenant, my friend and his witness. the adjudicator said she would hear both sides and then ask some questions to clarify anything.

my friend said they did not notify anyone that he was bringing a witness but it was not a problem and they did bring in alot of receipts etc relating to the case but never sent any in before hand this was also not a problem as the adjudicator just made copies at the end.

by all accounts it was a fair hearing and was very civil. they were told they will be waiting about 3-4 weeks for a decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I was at a hearing at the start of August , Nearly 2 months have passed & havn't heard anything. Anybody else taken over 2 months to get a decision after the hearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

bertie1 wrote: »
    I was at a hearing at the start of August , Nearly 2 months have passed & havn't heard anything. Anybody else taken over 2 months to get a decision after the hearing?

Yep.

Took a full 6 months or so for the "Offical" report to come back.

Advertisement