Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitors for Multitabling

Options
  • 15-09-2009 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Looking for some advice.

Bought a 22" monitor earlier this month which is working reasonably well for multitabling 6 Full Ring Cash Tables - tiled, rather than cascading.

I've since moved up to 8 Tables and having reasonable results (better than when I just 4-Table or 6-Table) as my game has to be more disciplined, given the quicker reaction time i.e. I tend not to leak as much on AQ, AJ or QK as I did in the past.

The only downside is that with 8 tables (with PokerTracker HUD running) I tend to click on HUD rather than Check/Fold from time to time. This is despite the fact that I've minimised the size of the HUD as much as practical.

With a bigger screen, this would not be a problem. Ideally, I'd like to move to 12 Tables (or more) in the near future. So here's my Q - what monitor set up would regular multitablers recommend

a) Large single monitor (Samsung go up to 50", others to 57" in Ireland)
    b) 2 monitors side by side
    c) 3 monitors side by side

The first option is significantly more expensive (circa €4,000) than the other 2 - but with Rakeback or FPPs, the extra tables should more than cover the cost of the monitor (I hope).

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭72over

2 monitors ftw. That is all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

what site are you playing on?

i've never actually seen a 30" but i doubt it would be worth the extra cost over having dual monitors. afaicr it's about 2/3 times the cost to have the 30". i have two wide-screen 24" monitors i think and a 20" in portrait, but you're never really gonna need more than the dual monitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭IrishKestrel

Thanks guys - 2 monitors it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭IrishKestrel

what site are you playing on?

Playing on Full Tilt for now - but plan on moving to PS once I clear the sign on bonus & Take 2 bonus (hopefully later this month).

you might just want to check with armanijeanss tho, i think he has a 30".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

What's the best way to use 2 monitors?

As in side by side either in a straight line -- or angled ^ towards you, or one above the other?

I'm assuming that 3 is one central with the outer two angled slightly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭The Tourist

Also, whats the best way to play tiled? I hear a noise indicating action, and then end up searching frantically for which table is live! If they're stacked it's obvious which table is next, but reads get lost. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭NewApproach

2 monitors is definatley the way to go, but make sure you make the most of it, buy one with a high resolution. They are more expensive but you can fot more tables on them. Id say it would be a false economy otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've used two moniters side by side both in portrait, it means the total screen area has as aspect ratio closer to a regualur screen, rather than 8:3 or 32:9 super wide you get with two screens in landscape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Some set-ups I like, from a thread on 2+2: [Edit: apologies about the picture size!]

4zu7ol.jpg

993sih.jpg

image048gf5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Is there any software or cable required to hook up 2 monitors to a laptop. Currently running with a 24inch but have a spare 20inch monitor which i want to hook up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭holdemfoldem

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to set up 2 /3 monitors like on the picks above? my vid card only has 2 outputs and i can only use them to display the same image..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ZZR1100

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to set up 2 /3 monitors like on the picks above? my vid card only has 2 outputs and i can only use them to display the same image..

Thanks

for 3 or more you need a 2nd graphics card. get 1 from the same manufacturer. ati or nvidia. this solves driver issues.
    i think matrox do a card with 4 outlets so you could try that.
    im not sure why the same image is displayed on the 2 you have. have you it set to clone perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is there any software or cable required to hook up 2 monitors to a laptop. Currently running with a 24inch but have a spare 20inch monitor which i want to hook up to.
    You'll need a graphics card with two external outputs (you may already have this, likely a VGA + DVI), this is a better option that going with splitters.
    You don't need a high spec graphics card, ignore salesman BS, graphics are simple, no 3d rendering etc. Just basic level with enough outputs
    Hi,

Thanks
    you should be able to get different images on each, even with only two outputs (do this on my old laptop).
    Right click desktop>properties
    Settings tab>click on second screen icon>expand desktop onto this screen checkbox

something similar to the above should work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

graphics q

Hi,

I currently run 2 monitors off of one card -
    256MB nVidia™ GeForce 8600GTS graphics card

and I want to install another card so I can support 3 monitors

XPS 420 Viiv Intel® Processor Q6600 Quad Core&#153 2.40GHz, 1066Mhz FSB, 8MB cache, is the motherboard

do I just buy a new card and slot it in, easy as that?

Thanks

Some set-ups I like, from a thread on 2+2: [Edit: apologies about the picture size!]

4zu7ol.jpg

993sih.jpg

image048gf5.jpg

Any chance of posting a link to this thread on 2+2? I wanna do somethin like the second picture

cheers

valor wrote: »
    graphics q

Hi,

I currently run 2 monitors off of one card -
    256MB nVidia™ GeForce 8600GTS graphics card

and I want to install another card so I can support 3 monitors

XPS 420 Viiv Intel® Processor Q6600 Quad Core™ 2.40GHz, 1066Mhz FSB, 8MB cache, is the motherboard

do I just buy a new card and slot it in, easy as that?

Thanks

yes but get a nvidia card.you can support up to 4 monitors.
    its doesnt have to be as high spec as your current card although the 8600gts should be cheap enough now and you can link the 2 cards through SLI to give a performance boost in 3d applications.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Any chance of posting a link to this thread on 2+2? I wanna do somethin like the second picture

cheers
    Of course, here you go. Should have linked it the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

Nice looking chair Shane, where did you pick that one up and is it as comfy as it looks.:)

Oh and how much did it cost:o

sickpuppy wrote: »
    What size are the two matching monitors? Shane.

24" widescreens Mick.
    Nice looking chair Shane, where did you pick that one up and is it as comfy as it looks.:)

Oh and how much did it cost:o

it's a freedom chair, yeah it's kinda pricey! but really really worth it. i got it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

24" widescreens Mick.

it's a freedom chair, yeah it's kinda pricey! but really really worth it. i got it here.

it sure is,

Thanks though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Rattled77

silly Q

is there a huge difference in 1920 x 1080 versus 1920 x 1200??????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

I use a high definition 32" 1920 X 1080. I went down that road in order to pass as both a monitor and a TV.
    It works okay, but I'll be honest, I prefer playing on my 20" dell monitor. I reckon if its solely for use with poker then I would definitely go down the road of dual 20/24" monitors. The 32 is just too big. Sore on the eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

Rattled77 wrote: »
    silly Q

is there a huge difference in 1920 x 1080 versus 1920 x 1200??????

It depends where you play.

On sites that don't have resizable tables, they tend to be 800x600ish, so there'll be vertical overlap with a 1920x1080, but not with a 1920x1200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭NiPoker

dell2009.jpg

Dell2009WP 24" Monitor.. best buy I made yet for my computer. Quality is amazing and its bigger than you would think!

Can play 12 tables on it without overlap which is a nice touch (Although I mainly stick to 5-6).

Hi again

after looking through that whole thread for ideas and am looking for some advice on a set up plz..

im thinking either 2 x 24" or a 30" with a vertical 20".. Can you get 24's with higher than 1920 x 1200 that don't cost a bomb? ( is 1920 x 1200 good enough for 24" )

or how many FT tables would you fit on a 30" 2560x1600

pretty much what would you recommend? I have no experience setting anything like this up before so any help appreciated

At the moment im 8 tabling ( stacked ) on a 19" old tft with a view to at least doubling to 16 table.

running a :
    Dell studio xps
    Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 920 (2.66GHz, 8MB cache, 4.8GT/sec)
    Genuine Windows Vista® ultimate SP1 (64 BIT) - English
    1gig DDR2 ATI® Radeon™ HD 4800 series graphics card
    8gig 1067MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
    1TB Serial ATA (7200RPM) Hard Drive

many thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

I currently have one widescreen 22" and one normal 17" side by side. It works very well, with the widescreen as my primary and the smaller monitor for extras such as HEM and Boards.

Advertisement