Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods in AH very Trigger Happy with Locking Threads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I'd be up for that. Although, not sure if the Cush would like all the reported posts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Rabies wrote: »
    I'd be up for that. Although, not sure if the Cush would like all the reported posts :)

The cusheon of medicore might will do as the chief button pushers want.

..if he doesnt - they shall pronounce the 3 wolves t shirt as uncool and end the love affair

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I agree with the OP. I also feel he made a good, diplomatic argument.
    I don't think a mod should lock a thread because they don't like it. None of the threads had offensive material posted. Some of them had no potential whatsoever to even go down a bad road.

If a thread is going nowhere, it will fizzle out. If it takes off then what of it? Some mods are so eager to let everybody know who's in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

If a thread is going nowhere, it will fizzle out. If it takes off then what of it? Some mods are so eager to let everybody know who's in charge.

True, however, by locking it, it discourages posters and shows others that "these type" of threads get locked. AH is bizzare enough without adding more pointless threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I can assure you 100% that a thread is never locked so we can get a hilarious last comment in.

The OP has given very poor examples IMO, but it has happened several times recently when a thread has been locked and the mods continue to post in the thread after it has been locked, trying to be 'witty'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62110574&postcount=1

^^^^
    That is your opening post.

Now that is akin to going on Facebook and asking why boards is not working.

All I did was close the thread and advise you to join Facebook and ask there.

It made sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dear admins. I'm too drunk to go through this now.
    Please keep this open until about tomorrow afternoon so that I can give a proper reply.

Do do do dum duu (3rd encounter)

Japanese girls puking in each others mouths (Stan Marsh).
    I'm just typing stuff from soputh park.
    The spooky ghost slimed me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Terry wrote: »
    Dear admins. I'm too drunk to go through this now.
    Please keep this open until about tomorrow afternoon so that I can give a proper reply.

Do do do dum duu (3rd encounter)

Japanese girls puking in each others mouths (Stan Marsh).
    I'm just typing stuff from soputh park.
    The spooky ghost slimed me.

Oh look its Uncle Terry having another special moment, uuggggh my names Terry and i do stuff. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

snyper wrote: »
    True, however, by locking it, it discourages posters and shows others that "these type" of threads get locked. AH is bizzare enough without adding more pointless threads.

But surely AH is what it is BECAUSE of the pointless threads??

I have to say I agree with the OP to an extent. I don't agree that mods just lock threads to get in a witty comment, but I do think that some threads are being locked unnecessarily quickly. Shouldn't the mod close a thread WHEN trouble occurs, not because they foresee it? Of course there are some cases where I understand why they would lock them straight off, but in some of the OP's examples I really don't see valid reasons :confused: And it does seem to be happening more and more often.

I agree with jackpalance that just because a mod deems a thread pointless, it doesn't mean they should lock it. There were replies to them threads, so obviously not everyone considered them pointless. Unless they're causing offence to anyone (or contain poo references) then leave them die/flourish by themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Some people clearly have too much time on their hands. What's the big deal with someone asking a question?

Seems to me like people are attempting to define what constitutes off topic in answer to a query that no one raised in the first place.

If it aint broke, don't fix it. Hopefully when Terry emerges blinking from his fug filled place of slumber (;)) he'll probably say the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yup TCN and the dublin forum :pac:

Keep your shíte out of Dublin tbh

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Des wrote: »

Further clarify your comment or withdraw it entirely.

Stop moving AH'd threads to the Dublin Forum.

Hang on a minute while I just clarify this policy decision with your co-mods.

Please do, but I find it rude to move threads full of crap into other mod's forums, leaving them to do the clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Generally if the thread is complete sh!te, it stays in AH, goes to tCN or gets locked.
    I don't think any AH mods would move a ruined thread to the Dublin forum. If anything, its saved from ruin by moving it to a specific forum, be that Dublin or any where else..

Ah sure isn't the Dublin forum a sub forum of After Hours anyway ;)

Please do, but I find it rude to move threads full of crap into other mod's forums, leaving them to do the clean up.

thread des. One thread.
    In which you moved it right back, I asked you politely if I could clean it up more for you and you said no. Weren't in the mood for the thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055670961
    Refresh your memory for you.

A mod fight, well i never!!!
    I'm up for Des, go Des go Des go Des :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Its cool with me if you continue to move threads with a Dublin these over to us.

If you can clean 'em up so much the better, but if your too busy thats cool too. Usually I just go along with the craic, and tbh - the AH crowd very rarely follow a thread over to us anyhow.

This has went on for years, so the precedence has been set I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Is there any script which could show the amount of threads locked in say a 2 month period before sharpshooter became a mod, and after?

Would be interesting indeed

• Advertisement

Its cool with me if you continue to move threads with a Dublin these over to us.

If you can clean 'em up so much the better, but if your too busy thats cool too. Usually I just go along with the craic, and tbh - the AH crowd very rarely follow a thread over to us anyhow.

This has went on for years, so the precedence has been set I guess.

Thanks Madalynn Round Lodge for that. I had assumed that this was the case as it has always been the case to my mind since beginning this stint in AH. I will ensure to clear up thoroughly before moving. I presume any clean ups will be monitored closely by some of your co-mods also.

Des do you now withdraw your statement as incorrect? How about unnecessarily rude?

Please clarify.

Des do you now withdraw your statement as incorrect?
    Nope, I don't appreciate threads full of AH crap being moved into the Dublin Forum by the AH mod "for the lulz" thanks. Especially when the AH Mod was the one who edited the thread title to something that would immediately be locked down, and probably infracted/banned in the Dublin Forum.

There's no need to be creating unnecessary work for other Mods. If I troll your forum, I get infracted/banned, I'd thank you not to do the same in mine.
    How about unnecessarily rude?
    I apologise if I came across as rude.
    Please clarify.
    Madalynn Round Lodge says one thing, I said another.

We moderate at, usually, different times.

So, if he's happy to deal with the crap sent to the Dublin Forum when he's online then fine.

I'm not though, so I'd ask you to either PM us before moving a thread, or cleaning it up before moving it to ensure that the whole thread you are moving is suitable for the Dublin Forum, not just the OP or some of the posts therein.

Thank You.

Des

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

so I'd ask you to either PM us before moving a thread

Who's "us" Tonto?.. I said I'm cool with it.

The amount of threads which have been moved over, tbh they hardly make a blip on the radar & as I've said the AH muppets rarely if ever follow the threads over.

I guess if my position or time I can give over to the DCF changes this can be reviewed, until then I really can't see the problem with these AH threads being thrown over.

Dr.B - just have Sharpshooter lock 'em all before they have to be chucked over eh!... :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It is normal procedure for Mods to move threads to a more appropriate forum Des.
    I have never heard anyone demanding to be PMed first about it.
    I'm sure if the threads are full of crap the AH mods will just send them to the rubbish bin or close/delete.

I would also suggest that this could be conducted via PM or the Mod forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Cracks appear in the mod conspiracy!!!1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ze

Beruthiel wrote: »
    It i
    I have never heard anyone demanding to be PMed first about it.

Have you PM'd the mod first?

They like to be PM'd.

Sherifu :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

nuxxx wrote: »
    Is there any script which could show the amount of threads locked in say a 2 month period before sharpshooter became a mod, and after?

Would be interesting indeed

+1

Sherifu wrote: »
    Cracks appear in the mod conspiracy!!!1!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Don't move TOO many threads to tCN. There's a limit to the amount of threads I can spam to death with Carl Weathers pics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

But how will we know what that limit is unless they move the threads? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement